2.3 Beta 8 released!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

2.3 Beta 8 released!

Post by cybersphinx »

Another week, another beta. Since we want to get nearer to a real release, there are no large changes, just small fixes all over the place.

Changes:
For the campaign, the game now gets automatically saved after a mission (when the save/continue screen appears) to a slot called "Autosave", so you can restart a mission if you forget to save it. Formation speed limiting has been removed since it didn't work well and caused bugs, will be fixed later. There was a new round of balance changes, the loading screen should be noticeably faster on vsynced displays, you can now use international characters in the chat, and challenge timers are saved.

Savegames from Beta 7 should still work; for multiplayer, all players need to use Beta 8.

Starting with this release, we will disable all translations with less than 75% translated strings (the changelog below will still list any translation updates). Included: German, UK English, Spanish, Estonian, French, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Slovenian, Traditional Chinese (and Ukrainian to test if it works correctly now). See also Translation, TranslationStatus.

The Windows installer for this release was built on a different system than those up to Beta 4, please report any irregularities. If your virus scanner complains about it, please report it to the maker as a false positive (and tell us, so we can report it to them as well). The installer is cross-compiled on a Linux system, the hosting is done on Linux, the file never even touched a Windows system before the download.

Bug Reports:
As usual, we need bug reports to fix problems in the game. Please note that we use tickets only to track bugs, for discussions about how features should work and feature requests we have a dedicated forum section.

For bug reports, see BugReporting for details, in short:
  • Search the existing tickets for your problem, if the problem has already been fixed in SVN, the ticket will be closed.
  • If there is an open one already, feel free to add more info to it.
  • If there is no report yet, make a new ticket.
  • Be as detailed as possible in both summary and description, and either log in with your forum account or leave an email address so we can contact you if we need more information.
  • The more information we have, the easier it is to fix problems, so include savegames/instructions to reproduce the bug, crashdumps, backtraces, screenshots for graphical problems... if you have.
  • When you attach files to a ticket, please add each text/image file separately and uncompressed, so we can view them easily in trac (savegames can and should be zipped, they consist of name.gam, possibly name.es, and the files in the name/ folder).
Download:
As usual, downloads can be found on our download page.

Detailed Changelog:
2010-01-19: Version 2.3 beta 8
  • General:
    • New: Mod files in mods/autoload/ are now autoloaded - note that this is NOT the previous autoload location (r9290, #1415)
    • Fix: Crash when switching between players in ctrl+o cheat menu (r9283)
    • Fix: Better projectile collision detection (r9288)
    • Fix: Remove all fog of war darkening when satellite uplink built (r9216)
    • Fix: Faster game loading when vsync enabled (r9167, r9163)
    • Fix: Widget ID corruption leading to disappearing reticule and other GUI bugs (r9325)
    • Fix: Miscellaneous crashes and asserts (r9153, #1219, r9192, r9152, #1402, r9248, r9181, r9174)
  • Graphics:
    • Change: Darken features and buildings that you cannot see due to fog of war (r9322, r9343)
    • Fix: Only lift fog of war for what you can see (r9199, r9204, r9216)
  • UI:
    • Change: "HOST" appears below host (r9340)
    • Change: Laser satellite firing and structure under attack now generate a radar blip (r9313, r9292, #1134)
    • Change: Allow keyboard shortcuts to use the Cmd key as a modifier (r9307)
    • Fix: The hide interface keyboard shortcut (Tab, by default) now hides the minimap and console, as well (r9273)
    • Fix: Non-ascii characters now work, instead of appearing to clear all text (r9287, #1330)
    • Fix: Radar blips should no longer disappear with some zoom levels (r9197)
    • Fix: Make build progress bars look nicer by adding a gradient (r9157)
    • Fix: Design form sometimes displayed incorrect component (r9255)
    • Fix: Make keyboard shortcuts look nicer: "Ctrl + F11" instead of "lctrl - f11" (r9307)
  • Balance: (r9339)
    • Pulse Laser range decreased to 14
    • Heavy Laser range increased to 16 (and damage toned down to match)
    • Prices of Pulse Laser Tower, Pulse Laser Hardpoint, Pulse Laser Emplacement, Lancer Hardpoint increased to match weapon changes
    • Scourge Missile range decreased to 14
    • Seraph Missile Array range increased to 15
    • Short-range accuracy of Mini-Pod, Lancer, Tank Killer, and Scourge Missile decreased - long range-accuracy remains unchanged
    • Lancer price increased to 150
    • Lancer no longer prerequires Mini-Rocket Array
    • Mini-Rocket Array damage increased
    • Splash radius of mortars, howitzers, cannons, and rails increased
    • Damage of cannons and rails against cyborgs and tanks increased
    • Damage of artillery against tracked tanks decreased
    • Damage of artillery against hover tanks increased
    • Command Turret price reduced
    • Command Turret II, III, IV given more damage, longer range
  • Gameplay:
    • Change: Ctrl + Alt + mouse wheel to change game speed (r9178)
    • Change: Formation speed limiter has been removed due to bugs and sync issues (r9331, #1177, #1167)
    • Fix: Templates created with the design screen started at 1 power/HP instead of 0 (r9159)
    • Fix: Changing speed no longer gives a "cheating" warning (r9177)
    • Fix: Bugs with game speed changing abruptly should be fixed (r9280, r9251)
    • Fix: Rounding errors in power code (r9172)
    • Fix: Tank Killer didn't fire sometimes (r9339)
    • Fix: Some structures should be obsoleted by others (r9339)
  • Challenges:
    • Fix: Restore challenge timer when loading a challenge savegame (r9207)
  • Campaign:
    • New: Save an "Autosave" game when a mission is finished (r9145)
    • Fix: Transports in campaign could be controlled sometimes (#1418, r9297)
  • Skirmish:
    • Change: Rename Dragon from "Super Heavy Body" to "Multi Turret Body" (r9194)
    • Fix: Allow the AI to know where the game's starting resources are (r9203, r9202)
  • Translations:
    • Fix: Actually include Ukrainian translation in the Windows installer (r9329)
    • Updated: German (r9228)
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: 2.3 Beta 8 released!

Post by Per »

I have done some experimental work on the AI in trunk (where all experimental code goes) that should make it faster at research and expansion. The attached mod will allow you to play with most of these changes in this beta. Please let me know if you have tested it. If I hear from sufficient number of people that it works fine (ie at least no worse than current 2.3 AI), then I will backport these changes before final 2.3 release.
Attachments
trunkai.wz
Trunk AI as of 2.3 beta8
(192.3 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

In changelog doesn't mentioned anything about command turret price reduction.
I remember we talked about it with Zarel.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Great, new beta for my birthday. :)
I'll try it later.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Terminator wrote:In changelog doesn't mentioned anything about command turret price reduction.
I remember we talked about it with Zarel.
Hrm, I forgot to mention that in the changelog. Yeah, the base price has been reduced from 500 to 250. Higher command turrets also have better range and more damage, but their prices are still extremely expensive. You can get a LasSat for the price of a Command Turret II. :/
Arreon
Trained
Trained

Post by Arreon »

Don't take the unit formation speed limit option away! It was a very handy thing to have. I read that it caused problems for others but it didn't give me any trouble. Please put it back in. :(

Also, the increased weapon speeds really ticked me off, so I created a mod with no extension (namely, a regular folder) that set the speeds back to the way they were.

But I haven't the slightest idea how to put the unit formation thing back into the game.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

• New: Mod files in mods/autoload/ are now autoloaded - note that this is NOT the previous autoload location (r9290, #1415)
When game is installed, that folder doesn't exists.
But if I make it myself, it works great.

That mod listing is great.
sg1efc
Trained
Trained

Post by sg1efc »

Thank you very much WZ staff. :)
My Thanks to everyone past, present and future who have helped to create & continues to improve WZ2100, you're all Awesome! :)
Ai_Tak
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ai_Tak »

cybersphinx wrote:
Doesn't this defeat the point of letting you see your sensor range for use with indirect fire weapons? Or does the satellite uplink now assist targeting for indirect fire weapons all across the map? (probably not...) Does "Z" still work to see usable targeting sensor range?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Ai_Tak wrote:
cybersphinx wrote:
Doesn't this defeat the point of letting you see your sensor range for use with indirect fire weapons? Or does the satellite uplink now assist targeting for indirect fire weapons all across the map? (probably not...) Does "Z" still work to see usable targeting sensor range?
Z remains unchanged. But I thought illumination has always been about vision, not targeting sensor range.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

warzone2100r8215.exe

stderr.txt
error |02:12:51: [strresGetString] Could not find string for id "Weapon ID"
error |02:12:51: [strresGetString] Assert in Warzone: strres.c:100 (string), last script event: '<none>'
error |02:12:51: [allocateName] Unable to find string resource for Weapon ID

Is there suposed to be 2 .exe files with beta 8 download?
antiaircraft
Greenhorn

Post by antiaircraft »

I really like the look of the UI changes in this release. :)

By the way, is the MD5 hash information on the download page out of date by any chance? wget didn't report any errors when downloading the source tarball, and it seems to be decompressing fine, but I'm getting

Code: Select all

$ md5sum warzone2100-2.3_beta8.tar.gz
cf19b4148878102de496f557a3fb53df  warzone2100-2.3_beta8.tar.gz
as opposed to 'b1800cc3dc9090eb65b91bbf9e67be56' as listed on the download page.

Edit: It looks like it's not just me. :suprised:
*end of message*
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Berg wrote:warzone2100r8215.exe

stderr.txt
error |02:12:51: [strresGetString] Could not find string for id "Weapon ID"
error |02:12:51: [strresGetString] Assert in Warzone: strres.c:100 (string), last script event: '<none>'
error |02:12:51: [allocateName] Unable to find string resource for Weapon ID

Is there suposed to be 2 .exe files with beta 8 download?
Are you using any mods?
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

No But i think it maybe an old exe file I have forgoten about.
I cant for the life of me work out how I have 2 .exe files in the beta 8 folder
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Berg wrote:No But i think it maybe an old exe file I have forgoten about.
I cant for the life of me work out how I have 2 .exe files in the beta 8 folder
Maybe you have this left from Beta 6?