2.3 Beta 8 released!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

Re: 2.3 Beta 8 released!

Post by new paradigm leader »

so many beta so little time ^^ nice work though :P most betas for any version i ever did see
Return to your designated zone or be destroyed. You are in contravention of the new paradigm.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Zarel wrote:
Ai_Tak wrote:Doesn't this defeat the point of letting you see your sensor range for use with indirect fire weapons? Or does the satellite uplink now assist targeting for indirect fire weapons all across the map? (probably not...) Does "Z" still work to see usable targeting sensor range?
Z remains unchanged. But I thought illumination has always been about vision, not targeting sensor range.
To clarify, 'z' no longer does anything. What it previously did is now done automatically. It never showed targeting sensor range, it showed any sensor range. While there are some attempts in the code to separate between mere vision and targeting sensors, this is far from implemented in any meaningful sense yet. Satellite uplink shows the entire map as 'vision', not as a targeting sensor. This means you can see everything but you can't shoot at it. The reason for this is the game rule that if you want to shoot at something you cannot see yourself, you need a targeting sensor to target it for you. I agree that this is somewhat confusing. The question is what should be done about it. Suggestions are welcome.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Command Turret II, III, IV given more damage, longer range
I really like it because when one uses long-range weapons like scourges/gauss cannons/lasers the commander always rushed forward and died quickly. BTW what is its new range?
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

most betas for any version i ever did see
According to Las Vegas bookies, the over/under is 10.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

antiaircraft wrote:By the way, is the MD5 hash information on the download page out of date by any chance?
Yeah, missed that in the update, sorry.
Sledge
New user

Post by Sledge »

cybersphinx wrote:Another week, another beta. Since we want to get nearer to a real release, there are no large changes, just small fixes all over the place.
First things first: Thank you for your incredible work!

And now for the complaints ;) :
I play a lot of skirmish games and tested all the betas. What bothers me most is that the AI changes dramatically from one beta to another. My usual test case is GreatRift-T1/medium power/no alliances/with bases. In some of the earlier betas, I had some interesting games with the 3 AIs at a difficulty setting at +5. It was hard in the beginning of a match, because I had to deal with the first wave of attackers the AI seems to build from the initial resources, but after that was destroyed the AI took some time to rebuild its army, so could prepare to strike back.

In Beta8, at difficulty level +4, both my neighbors started sending massive forces after a couple of minutes. And they don't stop. Either they don't spend any resources on research, or they get much more free oil than before.
I still have to test lower values for the AI, but if the behavior hasn't changed completely, I'm afraid the game is getting to easy once I had the time to do some research.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Sledge wrote:Either they don't spend any resources on research, or they get much more free oil than before.
The AI in later betas is cheating less than the AI in earlier betas. If you turn on cheat codes, and type 'autogame on', you can watch the AI in action to see what it is doing.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

hao wrote:I really like it because when one uses long-range weapons like scourges/gauss cannons/lasers the commander always rushed forward and died quickly. BTW what is its new range?
New ranges (in tiles):

Command Turret: 12
Command Turret II: 14
Command Turret III: 16
Command Turret IV: 18
Sledge
New user

Post by Sledge »

Per wrote: The AI in later betas is cheating less than the AI in earlier betas.
OK. But skirmish in Beta8 feels like a different game. After my first posting, I tried Beta8 with +3 for all AI opponents, and I didn't notice any difference compared to +4. They developed mini rockets pods and arrays in almost no time.
Then I tried the same (+3) in Beta7: SimCity. The computer's first waves consisted of machine guns and flamers, and then slowly, but constantly improved, giving me the time to improve my defenses as well. I won with only 7 units lost.
I assume that while the AI has become less cheating, it also has become more efficient. Perhaps I should try a much lower difficulty level. The problem is: The game is so good that I sometimes forget that I'm playing a beta release...
tracureK
Greenhorn

Post by tracureK »

13KukYNexus666 wrote:Great, new beta for my birthday. :)
I'll try it later.
happy bday for yesterday!. was min3 aswell. same day as hannibal lecter if you didnt know :P.
Ai_Tak
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ai_Tak »

Per wrote:
Zarel wrote:Z remains unchanged. But I thought illumination has always been about vision, not targeting sensor range.
To clarify, 'z' no longer does anything. What it previously did is now done automatically. It never showed targeting sensor range, it showed any sensor range. While there are some attempts in the code to separate between mere vision and targeting sensors, this is far from implemented in any meaningful sense yet. Satellite uplink shows the entire map as 'vision', not as a targeting sensor. This means you can see everything but you can't shoot at it. The reason for this is the game rule that if you want to shoot at something you cannot see yourself, you need a targeting sensor to target it for you. I agree that this is somewhat confusing. The question is what should be done about it. Suggestions are welcome.
Could Z now show non-uplink sensor range on the map and on 3D view so one can judge senor range for indirect fire weapons when the uplink is active?
Korusray
Trained
Trained

Post by Korusray »

im have to agree with 13KukYNexus666 the folder mods\autoplay\ does not get auto-created
crux
Trained
Trained

Post by crux »

not a good release at all. :(
the biggest thing that is broken is savegames.
It was already reported as were my other crashes so I have no new input.

When is beta 9 going to be out?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

the biggest thing that is broken is savegames.
Are they? O_o My saves are here since (i think) beta2, and everything is fine with them.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Sledge wrote:I assume that while the AI has become less cheating, it also has become more efficient.
Are you using my AI mod (the one posted in this thread)? It should make the AI a lot more efficient at research (without cheating). If you haven't tried it, please do :)