The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Merry christmas!

Post by DevUrandom »

Merry christmas everyone!
We are proud to present you your christmas present: Version 2.0.5 :)

This release should fix all those nasty bugs with singleplayer and tutorial games, you may have experienced in 2.0.4.
But there are also some new features:
  • Beacons for skirmish and multiplayer (to mark places for allies)
  • Mac savegames are now compatible to savegames from other OS'
  • Basic map editing in debug mode
  • --noshadows: switches off shadows for better performance (--shadows enables them again)
  • --nosound: switches off sound (--sound enables it again)
  • --viewport changed to --resolution
  • MinGW32 crosscompilation support
  • License clarification
For a more detailed list, especially for the keys to the new features, you should have a look into our ChangeLog.

You need to reset your keymap to be able to access the new features.
Do this in Options->Key Mappings->Wastebin (in the top left corner).

The download size was slightly reduced, compared to the 2.0.4 files, because the data files were optimized for better compression.
Get the files from our downloads page.

The MacOS diskimage will follow soon.
Last edited by Kamaze on 11 Jan 2007, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: Merry christmas!

Post by DevUrandom »

If someone wonders how I *optimized* the data files for better compression:
The .wz are now not compressed anymore (requires a few MB more diskspace). This way the LZMA algorithm, which is used in both the Windows and the Linux installer, can compress the installer a lot better (saves ~3MB download size).

Another trick was to compile statically for Windows: Most DLLs are not needed anymore, because the required parts come directly with the executable.
Last edited by DevUrandom on 24 Dec 2006, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
karmazilla
Trained
Trained

Post by karmazilla »

Excellent news! And merry christmas to everyon  ;D

If you haven't done it yet, I'll go make a freshmeat announcement in a couple of minutes (after I've read my mails and unread posts)

Eep! the OS X package file is 404!

EDIT:
The MacOS diskimage will follow soon.
Doh... :P

http://freshmeat.net/projects/warzone21 ... _id=243774 ;D

(merged --DevUrandom)
Last edited by DevUrandom on 25 Dec 2006, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
jeff_sadowski
Rookie
Rookie

sweet thanks for the present ;D

Post by jeff_sadowski »

New software on Christmas is a present for me  ;D

//Merged by kamaze
Last edited by Kamaze on 25 Dec 2006, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
C01eMaN
Trained
Trained

Post by C01eMaN »

thanks and happy christmas hope you had a good one
Im Addicted To Warzone!!!!!!!
LostSoulJa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LostSoulJa »

oooo
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Its very good present ! thanks dudes  ;D  Happy New Year !
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Piotr Szulczewski wrote: I am a http://gamersunited.eu webmaster [...]
my e-mail is: piotr botul pl
My review of the newly modifyed WZ2100 is here: http://gamersunited.topworld.org/warzone2.htm
That review doesn't say anything about "the awesome Warzone 2100" or similar, but please be gentle to him when providing feedback!
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

* Having played both TA & SC a bunch, I think the comparison to WZ is like saying bananas are better than apples, IMHO. If your gonna compare then the detailed diffs in GPMs should be elaborated on... or not brought up at all.

* That said, one thing that I appreciated about WZ from the very begining that I detested about TA & SC was the SKi Ai... in both TA & SC it had "Map Omnicience" from the get go and it was so blatantly noticeable that I wanted to scream "You damn cheating sonofa%#$@! ai" every time I played skirmish.

* However, with WZ, Alex Lee (Pumpkin ai guru) was very intent on NOT giving the ski ai "Map Omnicience" so that it had to learn by exploring the map just like the gamer. 'Course with v.1.04 a fierce cheating ai was introduced but it was done with subtlety (much more than SC or TA) PLUS the AI Handicapping GUI was introduced so that the Gamer had the power to set just HOW much the ai was allowed to cheat and that was a very significant advance in RTS (along with in-game Unit Design and a monolithic tech-tree to chose from that shaped your decision-making on multiple levels that didnot exist in TA or SC)...

* Still in all like they say in the PR Business - "The only bad publicity it NO publicity !"

Cheers, rv :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
nehemia
New user

Post by nehemia »

Hi - It's me - the guilty of the review one !!  ;D

Please keep in mind that I've just updated the review for the new 2.0.5 version features. (the fullscreen bug is gone  :D )
Comparing the Warzone 2100 to TA, or Starcraft is IMHO unexceptable, but please keep in mind that there are very many players out there who don't know what Warzone is ...and such comparison will only do good to the project.
Everything is extremely free of charge at my website... so feel free to download send comments, critisize, and join the newsletter, I'm trying to have all the information up to date on my website but I find it extremely difficult.

My goal is to show as many freeware GPL games, as possible and bring them together to one place ...3 stars = good !
There will be an independent forum on which you will be able to kill me for my reviews  :o - but please be patient...

*"The only bad publicity it NO publicity !" - totally agreed

nehemia
gamersunited.eu webmaster

PS Gamersunited is compatible with Opera and IE webbrowsers ...still working on FF
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

nehemia wrote: Hi - It's me - the guilty of the review one !!  ;D

Please keep in mind that I've just updated the review for the new 2.0.5 version features. (the fullscreen bug is gone  :D )
Comparing the Warzone 2100 to TA, or Starcraft is IMHO unexceptable, but please keep in mind that there are very many players out there who don't know what Warzone is ...and such comparison will only do good to the project.
Everything is extremely free of charge at my website... so feel free to download send comments, critisize, and join the newsletter, I'm trying to have all the information up to date on my website but I find it extremely difficult.

My goal is to show as many freeware GPL games, as possible and bring them together to one place ...3 stars = good !
There will be an independent forum on which you will be able to kill me for my reviews  :o - but please be patient...

*"The only bad publicity it NO publicity !" - totally agreed

nehemia
gamersunited.eu webmaster

PS Gamersunited is compatible with Opera and IE webbrowsers ...still working on FF

* Heck, nehemia... I don't wanna attack ya... I like & respect what your doing, trully. :D The hard work it takes I know only too well which is why I've pretty much stayed in the "BlogSphere" the last couple years.

* I'll constructively contribute when I can to your site...but.... in a few months I'll be joinin your like efforts as far as building and running a game site. WZ will be a part of it but in a unique way...it will be riding the coat-tails of a new RTS that will be released in a few months that is very intimately connected to WZ's design premises & original promise (in my mind) and this new RTS is gonna be VERY successfull / popular (imho, an instant 'classic'). It is my hope that this site "marriage" (quite legitimate in my comparative design analysis) will be a venue for exposing more peeps to the GPL WZ's unique flavors and perhaps also an occassion for cross-fertilization of cultures and evolutionary efforts (something I tried to do at NEWST but my implementation back then was not as savvy as it will be with this new venture - you learn from experience)... 

* Carry-on the good work, nehemia.... believe me, I don't take it for granted.

Cheers, rv :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
karmazilla
Trained
Trained

Post by karmazilla »

Rman Virgil wrote:in a few months I'll be (...) building and running a game site.
This is new :)
nehemia
New user

Post by nehemia »

* I'll constructively contribute when I can to your site...but.... in a few months I'll be joinin your like efforts as far as building and running a game site.

You don't have to explain it  ;D - but feel free to send me your proposals, comments, etc.

Alright... please forgive my embarrasing level of English (here and above: unexceptable = unacceptable  ;) ). I've stayed up for over 24 hours, and everywhere I look now I see my bed.

I've just fixed the FF bug. FireFox works ok now - join my RSS feed and stay informed about every new release from the freeware games world !!    ::)

Stay tuned for further updates - over & out.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

nehemia wrote:
* I'll constructively contribute when I can to your site...but.... in a few months I'll be joinin your like efforts as far as building and running a game site.

You don't have to explain it  ;D - but feel free to send me your proposals, comments, etc.

Alright... please forgive my embarrasing level of English (here and above: unexceptable = unacceptable  ;) ). I've stayed up for over 24 hours, and everywhere I look now I see my bed.

I've just fixed the FF bug. FireFox works ok now - join my RSS feed and stay informed about every new release from the freeware games world !!    ::)

Stay tuned for further updates - over & out.

* You bet nehemia, I surely will & thank you. :)

* Karma: Yes.... & No. Yes it is new & I haven't mentioned it before. No, in the sense that I've been working on it for months but must hold-off bringing it on-line for public consumption till the aforementioned new RTS is officially released and I'm free of NDA constraints. ;)

Cheers & a Happy New Year to all, rv :D

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo