Release 3.4.0

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Release 3.4.0

Post by pastdue »

With over 485 commits since the last release, it's time for 3.4.0!

3.4.0 Highlights:
  • Graphics and UI improvements, including: fade effect when starting games, smoother mouse rotation, smoother zooming, interpolate frames in animation, occlude terrain ambiently
  • Add: Frontend "continue last save" option
  • Add: Quicksave feature
  • Add: Autosave feature
  • Add: Way to change most game settings with the in-game pause menu
  • Add: Shortcut to quit to main-menu after victory
  • Add: T4 technology level where all research is completed
  • Add: Randomization of game options button in skirmish/multiplayer games
  • Add: Add support for changing map, game name, and hosting player's name after already hosting
  • Add: Configuration of OpenAL-HRTF mode
  • Add: In-game notification widgets
  • Add: Keybinding configuration for camera pan
  • Add: Discord rich presence / join support
  • Add: Unit / kill count gui feature
  • Add: BoneCrusher! AI, Cobra AI, Nexus AI (ported from original)
  • Add: Right-click AI slot to quickly copy it to all other AI slots
  • Many translation improvements
  • Campaign bug fixes and balance adjustments
  • and too many other bug fixes to list
View the full 3.4.0 changelog

There have been over 485 commits since the last release, from many contributors including: 20kdc, Alistair Findlay, Bers, Björn Ali Göransson, Colin MacDonald, cpdef, Cyp, Enrico Fasoli, Forgon2100, KJeff01, maxsupermanhd, past-due, Per Inge Mathisen, Prot, Subsentient, Topi Miettinen, Vitya Andreev

We'd also like to thank all of the new and returning translators who have helped to improve the translations for the game via the Crowdin project. For more information on how to help with translations, see doc/Translations.md.

Please report all bugs on GitHub.

The old build toolchains have now been fully replaced, and CMake is used for building on all platforms.
For full build instructions see the README.md

And don't forget to check out the new official Discord server: https://discord.com/invite/ZvRVQ8g

Download at:
https://wz2100.net

Or:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/warzon ... ses/3.4.0/
https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... /tag/3.4.0
Scorgy_Doo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Release 3.4.0

Post by Scorgy_Doo »

Hi thanks for this,

The in game smooth scrolling is really good idea but ..

If playing online with 3v3's for example. You need to sometimes scroll in fast to see what weapon your oppotent may have. As it is its pretty slow to pan in while trying to move around. If could have scroll setting would be really helpful.

RB
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

nice. well done devs. & thank you for your work.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Scorgy_Doo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scorgy_Doo »

BTW there is a bug in online games.

If click READY. And a team player change flag COLOUR, it has funny consequences as in all player who are ready are now NOT ready. Hilarious. How did you manage to do that?
andrvaut
Trained
Trained

Post by andrvaut »

Good afternoon, I am happy about the new release and am grateful to the rest who had a hand in its release.
But I really, really don't like the lobby access policy.
1. There is no way to simply check a specific build
2. It is not possible to shake antiquity and play in 3.1.5, 2.3.9 or remember the hell from 3.2.2.
Last edited by andrvaut on 26 Jun 2020, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
vaut ΣΑ [GN], ru streamer.
Tournaments channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzusNa-54ydodtSz2TdHFww
Scorgy_Doo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scorgy_Doo »

Have to admit I been playing all day. And in my mind you have simplified the res path way too much and given access to too many weapons even on T1. It seems more like a rebranded 2020 Warzone 2020 then Warzone 2100 of yesteryear. What made the game popular. Maybe you want more people to access the game so they can find it easier to research and play. But as it is I think you will loose a lot of old players (which you have anyway with each and every release).

You guys seem to think or over think, it its not broken why fix it? Some bugs maybe. You are certainly killing the GAME of what it used to be. It was fun and strategic. Yeah it didn't look the best but that's its charm.

Why do you insist on shoving these new RELEASES down our throats? Did we ask for them? Were we happy playing versions that were popular?

You really need to have TWO versions. One for people who don't know how to play and one for those that do so they can eventually join that rank. Its not working man. And you guys know it. For first time in years I am exhausted at the constant barrage of 'new RELEASES that go away from what Warzone 2100 is. Its a depressing addictive tank game, where people complain and dont res!.

What you are making is a kids game now certainly. Its definality not aimed at older players. And because you have gone away from the original premise you gonna kill what is an official strategy game.

RB AKA RBABBIT
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

You can see the discussion and rationale behind the technology start tweak here: https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/pull/720

There also this suggestion for how to improve it:
https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/issues/806

Any specifics you might have regarding how timings should be adjusted, or that proposed enhancement, are welcome.

Please do keep an eye on GitHub, as any changes or tweaks tend to be discussed in detail there, and we encourage everyone to chime in. Also, you can test development builds to provide feedback even sooner on things you like / dislike, or what you'd like to see improved / changed.
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

pastdue wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 22:23 You can see the discussion and rationale behind the technology start tweak here: https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/pull/720

There also this suggestion for how to improve it:
https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/issues/806

Any specifics you might have regarding how timings should be adjusted, or that proposed enhancement, are welcome.

Please do keep an eye on GitHub, as any changes or tweaks tend to be discussed in detail there, and we encourage everyone to chime in. Also, you can test development builds to provide feedback even sooner on things you like / dislike, or what you'd like to see improved / changed.
That would be a cool feature. Play would be much more comfortable.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=15861

The hot keys have the ability to select only combat cyborgs. There is not enough opportunity to allocate only battle tanks.
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

Scorgy_Doo wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 21:33 Have to admit I been playing all day. And in my mind you have simplified the res path way too much and given access to too many weapons even on T1. It seems more like a rebranded 2020 Warzone 2020 then Warzone 2100 of yesteryear. What made the game popular. Maybe you want more people to access the game so they can find it easier to research and play. But as it is I think you will loose a lot of old players (which you have anyway with each and every release).

You guys seem to think or over think, it its not broken why fix it? Some bugs maybe. You are certainly killing the GAME of what it used to be. It was fun and strategic. Yeah it didn't look the best but that's its charm.

Why do you insist on shoving these new RELEASES down our throats? Did we ask for them? Were we happy playing versions that were popular?

You really need to have TWO versions. One for people who don't know how to play and one for those that do so they can eventually join that rank. Its not working man. And you guys know it. For first time in years I am exhausted at the constant barrage of 'new RELEASES that go away from what Warzone 2100 is. Its a depressing addictive tank game, where people complain and dont res!.

What you are making is a kids game now certainly. Its definality not aimed at older players. And because you have gone away from the original premise you gonna kill what is an official strategy game.

RB AKA RBABBIT
I think that we need to introduce the possibility of voting into the game. Changes will occur on a democratic basis.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

People complain about t2-t3 games on flat 4x4 maps? funny to read. No one cares about hundreds of bugs that were fixed, that's sad.
P.S. or devs changed t1 balance and broke something that everyone is used for. May be I've missed something.
P.S. may be wz should have special balance mod for players that don't appreciate official changes?)
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

MaNGusT wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 15:58 People complain about t2-t3 games on flat 4x4 maps? funny to read. No one cares about hundreds of bugs that were fixed, that's sad.
P.S. or devs changed t1 balance and broke something that everyone is used for. May be I've missed something.
I don't believe they is talking about that specific patch pastdue linked at all. Same borderline troll posts we get every release about how terrible the devs are and how we are ruining the game (tm). I'd like to see a list of all the things that have diminished Warzone 2100 over the years. :hmm:

While tech levels T2/T3 are indeed very different in technology with Vaut's patch (known unpopular/uncommon game setting made more fun), T1 research is barely phased by it: Bases lost Command Turret (non-factor and useless in mp ATM) and Advanced Bases gained a few extra research items not significant enough to raise alarm with skilled players:

Code: Select all

R-Struc-Materials02           - Two Base structure materials upgrades
R-Wpn-AAGun03                 - Hurricane weapon
R-Wpn-Rocket-Damage02         - One more rocket damage
R-Cyborg-Metals01             - first cyborg alloy
R-Struc-Research-Upgrade02    - Two research upgrades
R-Vehicle-Metals01            - first vehicle alloy
R-Struc-Factory-Upgrade01     - first production upgrade
Scorgy_Doo wrote: Have to admit I been playing all day.
Its a depressing addictive tank game, where people complain ...
Despite the above not sounding like a good time, I think we are doing something right if it keeps them coming back for more! :lol2:
Scorgy_Doo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scorgy_Doo »

You have ruined the game. Almost all russian players (all known techy geeks) using in game hacks. You can ask Zepherian whos been playing for years. I been playing this game for over 5 years known as RB or Rbabbit. Now its time to quit. You have totally ruined the game for me personally. Its not meant to be a 'fun' game. I HAVE no idea what your purpose it but if it is to make money in the end game. You can have 10 year old girls playing it eventually. Its a GAME Now. Good luck
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

Instead of changing the settings and balance so aggressively, it may be possible to provide a choice for the host. Radiobutton element where you can select the version of settings, balance 3.1.5, 3.3.0 and the current version
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Post by moltengear »

It is very bad that before there was no release 3.4.0 beta 1.
Now again we sat in a puddle in the eyes of the players and fans of this game. And how could such an obvious bug be missed ?! Checkmarks are reset on the checkbox element "Ready" from any change in the room!
Prot
Trained
Trained

Post by Prot »

Scorgy_Doo wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 23:03 Almost all russian players (all known techy geeks) using in game hacks.
Oh, don't even start being f@%#ng racist.
Political views, and even more Russophobic, I believe have no place here. And all who groundlessly accuses the whole nation of total cheating, I believe that you need to ban on the forum, and do not give a word.
It's not the Russians' player fault who play better than you.
So either prove it or shut up!
Last edited by Prot on 27 Jun 2020, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.