Release 4.2.7

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Post Reply
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Posts: 327
Joined: 13 Aug 2017, 17:44

Release 4.2.7

Post by pastdue » 28 Feb 2022, 23:28

With the help of many bug reporters & contributors, we're happy to announce the release of Warzone 2100 v4.2.7, a bug-fix and improvement release.

EDIT: 4.2.7 was released to fix a few additional issues reported by players.

EDIT: 4.2.5 was rapidly replaced with 4.2.6 to fix a bug in the 4.2.5 release. What follows is the 4.2.5 release notes.

Including:
  • Numerous fixes for crashes, cleanup issues, and memory leaks
  • Add: Arabic translations (huge thanks to: @mt3d !)
  • Fix: Do not make units move unnecessarily when attached to commanders and ordering an attack
  • Fix: Autorepair not working on units waiting to be built inside a factory when the research is completed
  • Fix: Headless spectator performance improvements
Campaign improvements:
  • Add: Restore a new early finish feature on Beta-end like in old versions for Easy/Normal difficulty
  • Change: Bump Easy modifier to 1.5 for numeric values and Hard to 0.85 from 0.80
  • Change: Decrease the base cleanup area on Alpha 12 to remove a lone bunker in the very NorthWest part of the middle base
  • Change: Give generous experience to all transporter unit loads on Beta/Gamma when starting from the main menu
  • Change: Make the southern scavenger base on Alpha 5 also trigger the transporter reinforcements for the player
  • Change: Upgrade a few campaign maps with better defenses for camBalance, add missing modules on some buildings, and add oil drums to many Beta maps
  • Change: Move Whirlwind research later into Beta campaign so Cyclone gets used for a bit longer
  • Change: The Collective uses Whirlwind tanks like in previous versions again
  • Change: Clear console when displaying automatic victory reminders
  • Change: Allow campaign library to handle multiple VTOL spawn systems. Fix array out-of-bounds access for the "alternate" VTOL templates option
  • Fix: Fix campaign HMG tower structure for Flame map editor and on a few Alpha maps
  • Fix: Make Beta-end fail if the player finds themselves with no units, factories, and just a empty transporter
Skirmish / Multiplayer improvements:
  • Add: Add in-game "Mute Player" functionality
  • Via right-clicks on chat messages in lobby, and a button in the Intelligence menu in-game
  • Change: Spectators: Make F9 work and clicking on droids / structures for information purposes.
  • Fix: Fix the Ultimate Scavenger weapon "Scavenger Mounted MG" not having a short range
  • Fix: Ultimate Scavengers not building a few vehicles due to components not unlocked for them
  • Fix: Remove extra propulsion models on scavenger helicopters
And a few multiplayer balance tweaks:
  • Balance Mini-Rocket Pod against Light Cannon better by reducing Mini-Rocket Pod cost from 75 to 70 (PR #2531)
  • Increase cost of Cannon Fortress to 1000 from 900 as it was incredibly cheap compared to other fortresses (PR #2535)
  • Make Bombard unlock Ground Shaker instead of the Howitzer, Remove Ground Shaker requirement for HEAP Howitzer Shells, and make Howitzer Autoloader depend on HE Howitzer Shells Mk3 (PR #2534)
View the full 4.2.5-4.2.7 changelog

Original 4.2.0 Highlights:
  • Add Ultimate Scavengers to the game
  • Spectators for multiplayer games
  • Recorded replays for skirmish / multiplayer
  • Headless / autohost enhancements, spectator stats, lobby chat slash commands
  • Return units to mobile turrets & better distribute around multiple repair points
  • Update camBalance for Gamma (Campaign rebalance is basically complete)
  • Increase oil drum power in Campaign Beta (150) and Gamma (200)
  • Add new random maps "DustyMaze": one 2-player and two 4-player maps
  • Use a stable config directory for release builds
  • Implement remove from group shortcut
  • Make selected structures and units blink on radar
  • Add "power per second" to powerbar tooltip
  • Major revision to the Blender 2.9x .PIE file addon
  • Multiplayer balance changes (_see full changelog_)
  • Fix: Orders from Commanders after loading saves
  • Fix: Don't reveal artillery unless the CB tower is completely built
  • Fix: Sensors logic under commander so attaching them isn't useless
  • Fix: Only play "assigned to commander" sound if group is not full
  • Fix: Don't block ready status button when player clicks ready too fast
  • Fix: Primary AA turret units not attacking things if the Secondary could, among other fixes
  • Fix: Don't crash with JumpToResourceExtractor keybind after level reload
  • Fix: Prevent old transporter issue on Beta-end that can lead to level failure
  • And many other bug & crash fixes
We'd like to thank all of the new and returning translators who have helped to improve the translations for the game via the Crowdin project. For more information on how to help with translations, see doc/Translations.md.

Please report all bugs on GitHub.

And don't forget to check out the new official Discord server: https://discord.com/invite/ZvRVQ8g

Download at:

https://wz2100.net

Or:
Microsoft Store (for Windows): https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9MW0Z4MPCS8C
itch.io (for Windows or macOS): https://warzone-2100.itch.io/warzone2100
SourceForge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/warzon ... ses/4.2.7/
GitHub: https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... /tag/4.2.7

matthew92
Greenhorn
Posts: 10
Joined: 25 Feb 2022, 19:01

Re: Release 4.2.7

Post by matthew92 » 12 Mar 2022, 15:45

Loving the mute player option! It was much needed at times!

User avatar
budhead57
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 19
Joined: 17 Jan 2017, 04:11

Re: Release 4.2.7

Post by budhead57 » 11 Apr 2022, 08:09

I did not download or install 4.2.7 but I have it,, I dont know how that happened. I have played it and noticed it doesnt remember my settings like 'fullscreen', 'resolution' 'audio settings' and in-game settings, I have to put them in everytime I load the game. I was using 4.2.6 but I noticed it lags some times.

Has anyone noticed these problems?

Jornweick
New user
Posts: 1
Joined: 17 Apr 2022, 11:18

Re: Release 4.2.7

Post by Jornweick » 18 Apr 2022, 20:14

This is the best game I've ever plyed

Zarax
Trained
Trained
Posts: 115
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 11:54

Re: Release 4.2.7

Post by Zarax » 21 May 2022, 13:31

Giving VTOLs to scavengers right away tends to cripple Nexus AI, it might need a few tweaks.
That said, excellent work on the scavenger faction!

reyesglez
New user
Posts: 1
Joined: 14 Jul 2022, 04:15

Re: Release 4.2.7

Post by reyesglez » 14 Jul 2022, 04:20

Good afternoon i really like release 4.2.7. i wanted to know if any 1 knows where i can get maps and how to add them to this release. currently running on ubuntu 22.04

Maitreyarck
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 17
Joined: 03 Nov 2021, 03:23

Re: Release 4.2.7

Post by Maitreyarck » 16 Jul 2022, 14:50

For a few months, the updates have been dragging their feet a bit. The excuse of having a life on the side, does not hold any more with such a long delay.

Zarax
Trained
Trained
Posts: 115
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 11:54

Re: Release 4.2.7

Post by Zarax » 16 Jul 2022, 15:12

Maitreyarck wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 14:50
For a few months, the updates have been dragging their feet a bit. The excuse of having a life on the side, does not hold any more with such a long delay.
I don't think demanding free work is going to give anything productive...
I do hope everyone in the dev team is ok!

Maitreyarck
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 17
Joined: 03 Nov 2021, 03:23

Re: Release 4.2.7

Post by Maitreyarck » 16 Jul 2022, 17:24

Free of charge? And the donations, is it decoration? I myself have made donations to help the development of the game, I don't mind that it's used for the servers, but I would have liked that over the years, it would also help to improve the content of the game, to finally improve the defenses that are in paper in the game, etc.

I go to GitHub almost every day to see how it's going, I see that the beta is for example in development, but after how long? I already said it a long time ago on the Discord server, whether it's the staff members or the fans, no one is getting organized, it's a bit like riding a motorcycle in semolina. The forum is abandoned, no one tries to advertise the game to increase the community on the game, which would allow the game to have more help and mods.

For my taste, it's far too easy to hide behind excuses, it's far too easy to write to dodge the facts that establish the reality of the game's development. I love Warzone 2100, certainly much more than the current developers, but since I can't contribute anything, I only have ideas, it frustrates me to see the game stagnate. The biggest advance in the game is the scavangers and the unreliable replay. Even the mods site has been forgotten, when they could help players bring content into the game, and furthermore help the developers add these mods in future updates.

If you are not filled with bad faith, you know I am right.

Zarax
Trained
Trained
Posts: 115
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 11:54

Re: Release 4.2.7

Post by Zarax » 16 Jul 2022, 18:08

Maitreyarck wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 17:24
Free of charge? And the donations, is it decoration? I myself have made donations to help the development of the game, I don't mind that it's used for the servers, but I would have liked that over the years, it would also help to improve the content of the game, to finally improve the defenses that are in paper in the game, etc.

I go to GitHub almost every day to see how it's going, I see that the beta is for example in development, but after how long? I already said it a long time ago on the Discord server, whether it's the staff members or the fans, no one is getting organized, it's a bit like riding a motorcycle in semolina. The forum is abandoned, no one tries to advertise the game to increase the community on the game, which would allow the game to have more help and mods.

For my taste, it's far too easy to hide behind excuses, it's far too easy to write to dodge the facts that establish the reality of the game's development. I love Warzone 2100, certainly much more than the current developers, but since I can't contribute anything, I only have ideas, it frustrates me to see the game stagnate. The biggest advance in the game is the scavangers and the unreliable replay. Even the mods site has been forgotten, when they could help players bring content into the game, and furthermore help the developers add these mods in future updates.

If you are not filled with bad faith, you know I am right.
Look, I've been playing WZ 2100 since it came out, I still have the original CDs and was one of the original community members bugging the actual devs to add jumpjet cyborgs in the game, with this very same username.
I joined this forum a long time ago and while I didn't always see eye to eye with the team I can tell you they care about the project and they do make progress although with some ups and downs.

I don't know any members but I do suspect that at least part of the devs are in eastern Europe and might be affected by the current mess in Ukraine, especially as the forum got quiet pretty much around the same time as that started.
It's not the only project of this kind that has been affected, so I strongly suggest you to be polite and wait for some feedback, nothing kills voluntary projects such as this one as a toxic community.

pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Posts: 327
Joined: 13 Aug 2017, 17:44

Re: Release 4.2.7

Post by pastdue » 16 Jul 2022, 23:41

Hi there, Maitreyarck.

The last release is from a few months ago, and since you've been paying attention to GitHub I'm sure you are aware that a larger batch of changes is being worked on for a bigger release.

The current development & release cadence goes as follows:
- Spend some time discussing, developing and testing larger / "riskier" / more involved changes <-- we are here
- Public beta(s)
- Fixing bugs, additional betas (if needed), and then a stable release
- Potentially some point releases to fix additional bugs found post-stable-release
- Repeat

(Note: A lot of discussion on the game and organization also happens on the Discord server. We've made a few attempts at transitioning more of this to GitHub, but people seem to prefer Discord for certain types of communication.)

We can't please everyone with this - do too many releases too frequently and people complain as well (they already have). I believe we have found a good middle-ground, that works for the finite resources of a team of volunteers.

You have mentioned a few things that are being worked on, so I hope when those reach a publishable state you'll be pleased. :good:

Maitreyarck
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 17
Joined: 03 Nov 2021, 03:23

Re: Release 4.2.7

Post by Maitreyarck » 17 Jul 2022, 00:59

Good evening Pastdue, it's good to hear from you, it's been a while.

I'm happy with your message that clarifies the current situation, the forum lacks news, the Discord server has perhaps more exchange due to player preferences, but here it is poor in fresh information. As you know, I can't come back on the server because of a staff member I don't like. But I try to be available if you are short of ideas. I would like, and I can't be the only one in this case, that there is more communication on the forum from the staff, that would maybe motivate the forum users to be more active. If the staff doesn't lead by example, do you seriously think that people are going to take action? I've managed dozens of forums myself in the past, I know how people are, and motivation is not the first quality.

To sum up, the five points that list the situation on updates could be an interesting tool for the forum, instead of focusing only on the server, it's a bit vexing to be put aside.

In the meantime Pastdue, I'll see you soon, I guess we'll have other opportunities to write to each other.

Maitreyarck
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 17
Joined: 03 Nov 2021, 03:23

Re: Release 4.2.7

Post by Maitreyarck » 17 Jul 2022, 01:08

To answer Zarax,

I think you are confusing politeness with straight talk, euphemism and stroking in order to dialogue with you? Well not with me, I say things as I think, without necessarily putting hatred or unjustified reproaches. Moreover, I am a Frenchman who uses a translator, it must be felt in the formulation of the sentences, I am raw by nature and the translation must not be in my favor.

As for the situation, apart from the hypocrisy, I don't see the connection with Warzone 2100. A lot of people live in Europe, so what happens elsewhere is sentimental and should not affect projects that reach a public. Unless the project has become political without my knowledge? But I don't think so and I don't hope so. We are mainly Warzone 2100 players before anything else, well when we exchange on the forum or on the Discord server, so this kind of discourse has no place for my taste.

Have a good night, if you can sleep, because if you take care of all the misfortunes that this planet knows, you are not finished.

Zarax
Trained
Trained
Posts: 115
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 11:54

Re: Release 4.2.7

Post by Zarax » 17 Jul 2022, 06:21

pastdue wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 23:41
Hi there, Maitreyarck.

The last release is from a few months ago, and since you've been paying attention to GitHub I'm sure you are aware that a larger batch of changes is being worked on for a bigger release.

The current development & release cadence goes as follows:
- Spend some time discussing, developing and testing larger / "riskier" / more involved changes <-- we are here
- Public beta(s)
- Fixing bugs, additional betas (if needed), and then a stable release
- Potentially some point releases to fix additional bugs found post-stable-release
- Repeat

(Note: A lot of discussion on the game and organization also happens on the Discord server. We've made a few attempts at transitioning more of this to GitHub, but people seem to prefer Discord for certain types of communication.)

We can't please everyone with this - do too many releases too frequently and people complain as well (they already have). I believe we have found a good middle-ground, that works for the finite resources of a team of volunteers.

You have mentioned a few things that are being worked on, so I hope when those reach a publishable state you'll be pleased. :good:
Hello Pastdue, glad to see some activity!
I recently tried to play the campaign again and noticed that the tech tree seems somewhat different from skirmish, with some extra buildings available.
Any chance those could be implemented in skirmish too?

Thanks!

Post Reply