Is it possible to modify old maps?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
eikei
Rookie
Rookie

Is it possible to modify old maps?

Post by eikei »

Is there any way to modify old maps in wz? For exumple those which are used in campaigns? I was trying to make new models of buildings and other features for wz. And i hawe now some problems with old maps. The first problem is that thre are too many identical models on the maps, the second - all buildings have the same direction. So it would be great just to find a way to change location and directin of buildings on the old maps. 
Sorry for my English:)
kage
Regular
Regular

Re: Is it possible to modify old maps?

Post by kage »

all the campaign maps are in warzone.wz, iirc. they should be editable with editworld (or worldedit... one of those), but atm, you'd need windows or suitable emulation to use those programs.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

[me=Giel]is working on porting EditWorld to wxWidgets though[/me]

I suspect it'll be the porting of the DirectX code to OpenGL, which will be the most difficult part really (just look at directx.cpp and directx.h to get a headache).
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
eikei
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eikei »

all the campaign maps are in warzone.wz, iirc. they should be editable with editworld (or worldedit... one of those), but atm, you'd need windows or suitable emulation to use those programs.
You mean WARZONE.WZ-->WFL-->CAM1, CAM2 etc? I have EditWorld32 v3.1 BETA and it can't edit maps which are allready compilled. It woks only with projects (*.lnd). Where can I get the program to edit the campaign maps?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

world edit / editworld ...  either the 32 bit or the 16 bit original.  both.    can only edit .LND files.  to be able to edit the campaign files - you would need the original .LND's.  which is why it has been a real pain in the butt to get them.  i have attempted to extract these maps - some of the files are corrupted / or / have some other format to them ...not sure which. 

using a combination of  WDGEXPLORER and Tromans Warzone starter ( tools - LND viewer) i was able to get most not all of the .LND's.

and all of the maps have one thing in common - they all seem to have the oil wells offset slightly  - which if you attempt to use the resulting map without moving the oil wells - there will be no useable oil .  also i believe that all the structures are placed via scripts - for the campaign maps.... or the .LND viewer doesnt extract that information... dont know which.

if giel succeeds in redoing the world editor - and it is backwards compatible... we may have a chance at rescuing the old maps... if not... just let me know - i can 7zip up what i have - and send them to you.  also keep in mind that either way - between giel and grim  - the maps will be getting better - gfx wise - i am not sure what all is/was planned...you will have to question them. ;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
eikei
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eikei »

if giel succeeds in redoing the world editor - and it is backwards compatible... we may have a chance at rescuing the old maps... if not... just let me know - i can 7zip up what i have - and send them to you.  also keep in mind that either way - between giel and grim  - the maps will be getting better - gfx wise - i am not sure what all is/was planned...you will have to question them.
Could you please send the .LND's to me. If yes then my e-mail is [email protected]. I hope they are not very large to download?
eikei
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eikei »

Could you please send the .LND's to me. If yes then my e-mail is [email protected]. I hope they are not very large to download?
...or maybe there is some place to download them from there?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

appologies  eikei  i was meaning to get back to you just after you posted...  here they are - all that i was able to recover. 
Attachments
all maps LNDs.7z
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 199 times
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
eikei
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eikei »

Thank you very much :)