How did YOU learn about Warzone 2100?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Serman
Trained
Trained

How did YOU learn about Warzone 2100?

Post by Serman »

My mom bought me the EIDOS demo disk one day while I was about 9 years old.

I loved the game, so I asked for the official disk. So she bought it on eBay.
version 1.0, i was instantly addicted to the game. :)
kage
Regular
Regular

Re: How did YOU learn about Warzone 2100?

Post by kage »

heh... she had to buy the demo disk? i'd hate eidos after that, personally.

for me, it was a really awesome looking advert in computer gaming world
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

dont remember exactly how i found this game, but i trawl the web at least once a year looking for that 'perfect' RTS.

im still looking, but warzone is one of the best i have found so far!
Starcraft has a unique place in my heart, especially as it allows multiple people to control the SAME force in multiplayer.
Earth2150 was great, but they used stuff then never bothered to flesh it out-like terrain movement and underground stuff. Earth 2160 was an anti climax.
Dark reign was a great one with units being able to roam the map all by them selves a fantastic addition to the RTS genre...again dark reign 2 was an anti climax
My all time favorite tho will always be total annihilation, even its sequel Supreme commander (oops were not allowed to say that ;D ) is very pretty and has some nice stuff, but no game i have ever played yas yet to match it for scale of battle.
Version: master-20110320 QT
VGA:Nvidia GeForce GT 220
Driver in use: 6.14.12.6658
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4200+
RAM: 2 x DDR-II 1GB corsair
bded
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bded »

read the review and tried the demo that came with OPM in 97 or 96 or around there
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

the sequal for TA was TA:kingdoms which got bad reviews but i LOVED it.. got it and its expansion the iron plague..  then they went underground for a while before bringing about SupCom.

as for me..played 2100 wiht a friend and bought the game the next day .. so ive been a loyalist from the get go.
-= Dare not meddle within the affairs of we dragons for you are crunchy and flavor well with bbq sauce =-

-=Build a man a fire and hes warm for a night. Set a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life=-
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

i have a copy of TA kingdoms...im afraid im one of those bad reviews. what the bloody hell were they thinking?
dont get me wrong, its ever so slightly playable and i use it to teach my little ones the lowest levels of RTS.
If they brought out TA kingdoms first then TA, i bet they would still be going now as a company.

in short TA kingdoms has my vote for the biggest anti climax in the history of RTS gaming!
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

i've never played ta:kingdoms in multiplayer mode, but i thought the single player stuff war high caliber, the artwork was very good, and they handled things in a good and consistent way (like treating defensive structures as normal units when it came to veterancy).

however, i did buy it way after it was released, so i don't know how much hype i may have missed.

btw, tiberium sun is officially the biggest anti-climax in the history of rts gaming.
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

you trully have to master TA to understand how weak TA: kingdoms is..

as to tiberium sun, i quite liked it, but then i spose its because i played it around the same time red alert 1 came out, they felt like equals and i loved the ice collapsing under heavy units and the firestorm walls as defences.

im hoping a lot that tiber sun 2 and starcraft 2 will not let us down..
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

the general quality of tiberium sun is not at question. the main point is that tiberium sun remains one the most hyped games ever to exist (it was the most hyped game at that point in time) and thus had the highest sales by far of any game at that point in time, and all those gamers found that every single inventive or unprecendented feature that was hyped was either dumbed down or missing completely -- hype which had been going on for 3 years.
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

yeah from that point of view i would agree..it must have hurt westwoods reputation. But then its their own fault for giving their marketers free reign.
Ziasod
Trained
Trained

Post by Ziasod »

boughed for 5 NLG aka 2.3 €

was fun back in the old days with a über cool 52 kbits phone line :D
best in thoose days was calling in on ISDN 128 kbits ^^

muwahahaha
I only wish 3 things in life; Beer, Happines and mêh own personal Mamoth tank!
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

well when i got TAkingdoms.. i was smart enough to never even listen or read any hype..  and cant even admit ive played the campaigns.. to be honest..  campaign mode in an RTS never really interested me apart fromt eh origional starcraft.. because when i play an rts i feel like having a full scale ware.. not dealing with story lines and taking 20 maps to get full access to the tech tree..  i want to get in and go.. so for ta kingdoms.. i just did the full scale battles.. and i enjoyed it immensly.  as for anti climax.. had no expectations so i wasent let down :P

same with warzone and most any other game i tried back in that time.

now.. in todays standards.. ALOT of games are anti climax...grand theft auto..  3 and i expect 4 to be sub par as well..  Prey was an absolute and total disapointment as well as doom 3 and quake 4..  as well as shame to admit it.. nearly every game square enix has come out with these past few years..

the socom games for the ps2.. great games but as soon as they come out sony stops ALL support for them and they grow stale so fast..

elder scrolls 5 oblivion.. biggest let down of them all.. all those awards.. all that hype.. and all it was was just a prettier version of ES 2: daggerfall.. which came out about 90-92? a game any fan of the series loved and played to death... 3 versions later.. NOTHING new apart from prettier graphics?  massive boreing let down.

as for good things and high hopes?  im hoping for further work and a final expansion for the dawn of war 40k line..

go to starcraft 2s official site and download thier game play footage of the game.. 25 minutes long.. they are very faithfully sticking to its roots... and from the looks of it the wait will be well worth it.

as for the CnC series.. ive played them.. and its campaign mode is ok.. but could just never really get into the multi player aspect of it.. for most the series.. base defences were weak... and didnt really alow much for strategy.. it was just a mad rush to see who could get out the most units the fastest hoping you can rush them before they rush you... and i just dont care for 5-15 minute games.

tiberium sun tried to expand on the games abilities.. but the series never shown till renegade came out.. and it was a shame they never really expanded on that.
-= Dare not meddle within the affairs of we dragons for you are crunchy and flavor well with bbq sauce =-

-=Build a man a fire and hes warm for a night. Set a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life=-
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Ziasod wrote: boughed for 5 NLG aka 2.3 €
Hehe, yep I bought Warzone 2100 for Æ’5 as well. Guess you bought it at the Intertoys as well ?
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
iMac
Trained
Trained

Post by iMac »

I found out about it through an uncle that played it. This was in 00' or 01'. I wanted soooo bad but could never find when I went looking for it. I remember seeing that red box everywhere BEFORE I wanted it. I never took a closer look at it because i just didn't know what it was at the time. When I saw what it truly was I went hunting all over my small town looking for it but no one sold it anymore :(. It wasn't until I was in Houston , a few months later, at the mall that I happen across a copy at GameStop for $10. I jumped on it! I still have the box & everything that came with it. Though I haven't touched the original game in years I still have everything. Box, manuel, CD cases, even the filler cardboard. I'm a pack rat.
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
"En Vino Veritas"
Serman
Trained
Trained

Post by Serman »

nah, i dunno if she bought it or not.  :D

I just know that she just gave it to me one day.

In the demo, I always loved making certain units high ranks, by putting them at a small canyon where scavengers pass through, and putting two repair units next to him (so the repair units can repair him, and in case the repair unit is damaged the other unit can repair that one)

And, i just left it there while i went on turtling up my base like no tommorow. (Just because I was bored.)