Retaining experience upon death

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Retaining experience upon death

Post by Zarel »

I still disagree, but at the same time I don't want to push through this kind of change when it's apparent most of the community doesn't want it. :/
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel, I haven't taken any sides yet. Was wondering if it was best to make this a mod first and see if it becomes popular?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Zarel, I haven't taken any sides yet. Was wondering if it was best to make this a mod first and see if it becomes popular?
No. Certain changes don't work as mods. This is one of them. Plus, it's too much work to add mod support.
TVR
Trained
Trained

Post by TVR »

I know that everyone here absolutely hates VTOL Lancer assassination, something that is completely unpredictable, and guarantees loss of experienced units unless you've been save scumming. At the same time, no one wants experience rewarded for throwing units at each others.

This is where recovering experience in the form of a dropped artifact on destruction comes in.

Has your commander been sniped? Just pick up the artifact and rebuild it. Have you lost all your heroes because you tried rushing them through a Hellstorm? Just try retrieving those artifacts now, those inexperienced units that you'll attempt to use to retrieve those artifacts will be destroyed long before they reach the downed heroes.

In short, this system reduces the frustration caused by assassination, but does not reward tank wave attacks.
Kih-ap-hiih
Trained
Trained

Post by Kih-ap-hiih »

I truly believe that some guys can hate VTOLs but,
if I host game similar to, no no no VTOL, (for more than teen hours) :lol2:
than I research to pause game, all the way, to year 2080,. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

I just finished playing part of the campaign and nothing makes me hate warzone more then losing a hero commander because he wouldn't retreat.

I want this bad. Even 50% would be better then 0%.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

milo christiansen wrote:I just finished playing part of the campaign and nothing makes me hate warzone more then losing a hero commander because he wouldn't retreat.

I want this bad. Even 50% would be better then 0%.
Hey Zarel, looks like we found someone who loves your idea :D
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I would not mind recycling commander (and only commander) experience. Just make sure to adjust how fast commanders accrue experience at the same time to compensate.

For normal units, I just do not see the point (and yes, I read the whole thread). It would be too much of a hidden mechanic for me. The kind of oddball rule that would be best used for very special units.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Per wrote:It would be too much of a hidden mechanic for me.
By hidden mechanic, do you mean something like how an Oil Derrek invisibly transfers oil to the Power Generators? :)
-- Ambrose Bierce
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Per wrote:I would not mind recycling commander (and only commander) experience. Just make sure to adjust how fast commanders accrue experience at the same time to compensate.

For normal units, I just do not see the point (and yes, I read the whole thread). It would be too much of a hidden mechanic for me. The kind of oddball rule that would be best used for very special units.
...and having separate experience mechanics for commanders and normal units isn't hidden at all? Oddball rules for very special units seems to be like something we should be avoiding...
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Well, Per didn't say that it wouldn't be a hidden mechanic for Commander units. He only said that it's a little too much for the normal units to keep it sensible enough for the game..
-- Ambrose Bierce
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Zarel wrote:...and having separate experience mechanics for commanders and normal units isn't hidden at all?
Actually, I think that since you have far fewer commanders, and pay each more attention, it is far more likely that the hidden rule is discovered and understood, than for ordinary units.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Per wrote:Actually, I think that since you have far fewer commanders, and pay each more attention, it is far more likely that the hidden rule is discovered and understood, than for ordinary units.
I don't follow. Could you explain?
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Zarel wrote:
Per wrote:Actually, I think that since you have far fewer commanders, and pay each more attention, it is far more likely that the hidden rule is discovered and understood, than for ordinary units.
I don't follow. Could you explain?
I think Per means that due to the fact that you pay more attention to commanders than regular units, you often find out about the differences in experience between commanders and regular units on your own.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Mysteryem wrote:I think Per means that due to the fact that you pay more attention to commanders than regular units, you often find out about the differences in experience between commanders and regular units on your own.
But in my system, the experience saving applies to commanders, too, so it wouldn't get any easier to find out than that. Plus, wouldn't that make it harder to find out that the rule only applies to commanders, though?