need more forum moderators

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Crymson
Trained
Trained

need more forum moderators

Post by Crymson »

I notice that threads get OT way too fast around here, and result in hurt feelings.
I think you guys need more moderators to catch stuff before it gets out of hand.
You guys need more help?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: need more forum moderators

Post by lav_coyote25 »

you could have 10,000 to the n'th power... and you would still end up with people with hurt feelings. seriously! seen it time and time again, have ended up being moderator on more forums than i can remember. and all it takes is some very tiny thing to start it all off. :annoyed:
Maedhros
Trained
Trained

Post by Maedhros »

while i agree with lav-coyote, i think maybe a few more moderators wouldn't hurt.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Maedhros wrote:while i agree with lav-coyote, i think maybe a few more moderators wouldn't hurt.
We have enough: memberlist.php?mode=leaders
Not all of them are active, but 6-7 are.
Saberuneko
Regular
Regular

Post by Saberuneko »

Maybe "more dedicated", than just "more"...
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

Well, something needs to be done. :(
The same user is doing it, and it is in no doubt because of their age. Unless saying f**K is "cool" to the moderators ? :roll:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5529&start=0
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5526
need I go on?
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

IMHO, the forum got enough moderators, since in the orkut here in brazil there are communities with 10.000 members but with only 2 moderators and they can handle well with no problems or some with more than 1.000.000 members with at max of 10 moderators.

But, anyway, the MetalWarrior95's joke was fun :lol2: too bad that violates the forum rules :lecture:

BP
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Crymson wrote:Well, something needs to be done. :(
The same user is doing it, and it is in no doubt because of their age. Unless saying f**K is "cool" to the moderators ? :roll:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5529&start=0
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5526
need I go on?

no , you needn't go on - its been taken care of. your welcome!! :3
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

Moderators are not the issue.

'Good' communities are self-regulating, that's something that should be achieved. Now I can see that 'some' problems are about to start on the forum (e.g. Olrox/Dylan stuff). Moderating that and sticking to rules will only hide the real problem.

I was absent from the forums a while ago, so maybe I don't understand the situation completely, but - that's my point of view.
Christheturtle
Trained
Trained

Post by Christheturtle »

The current moderating situation on this forum, to me, seems fine. As someone said, 6-7 members of staff are active on the forums, so anything that is a violation of the rules and such gets picked up soon enough. You can't ask for instant moderation. :)

I quote the site policy:
The staff and the owner of this website reserve the right to remove or modify objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Also keep in mind that when a user misbehaves, we usually try to talk to them privately first, so if you don't see visible moderation, that may be why. We don't like to make a big spectacle about rule-breaking.

I've seen forums (-cough-suchasoneforanunnamedopensourceturnbasedstrategygame-cough-) in which moderators lock a significant proportion of threads... that just breeds discontent - it makes you afraid to post topics, and we don't want that.