Models by macuser

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
macuser
Regular
Regular

Re: Models by macuser

Post by macuser »

Well thanks for the answer..... I will be looking around for any good mac devs that i know too :).
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I would like to say merry christmas to everyone and a happy new year :)

Also, Jorzi: what models would you like me to work on texturing (or modeling) ?

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Merry christmas to you too :)

If you would like, I have the twin&heavy mg:s as well as the repair turret ad light&medium tracks uploaded and ready for texturing.
It would also be nice if you uploaded some of your textures & models, I'd like to make some scenes with them ;)
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Every time I make a model I upload it ;)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Jorzi, when I download your twinmg model it is corrupt (i tested using other mirrors too) and both the turret and barrel cause blender to freeze. Could you re-upload em please ;)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Re-exported, repacked and reuploaded the twinmg. Tried importing it in blender and it worked, although importing took a while... (could just be my puny eee pc)
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Sorry to be a bother but it still has a problem :? blender just bombs out when importing it. Maybe you could try OBJ instead
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Per wrote:
macuser wrote:Would it be possible to just use a 3d engine that is already made?
We are considering doing that, but it will not solve any of the problems I mentioned. There are no quick fixes here.
how bout this? http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/features.html

1. It is cross platform
2. supports many features like normal mapping
3. Uses SDL
4. Has an extensible API
5. uses C or C++
6. Last but not least it is open source ;)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Chojun wrote:» Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:15 pm

.....To summarize, the best remedy for Warzone is a well-designed, clean application framework. Like I said earlier, the original game was sufficiently modular enough that you can easily wrap existing functionality in C++ class objects (had a great deal of success with this), and then provide a clean way to remove components like the renderer. If you were to do that and then amputate the renderer and graft in ....... (take your pick .. Ogre3D, Torque, Irrlicht, etc), you'd be a hero in my book..........
Complete: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7269&start=0

.... :hmm:
Per wrote:» Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:41 am

The current c++ port is based on a very simple rule of thumb: If a change to c++ way of doing things makes the code better (shorter, less hacky, faster, etc) then it is good. If there are only ideological reasons (OO rules, c++ rocks, classes are pretty, whatever), then it does more harm than good. This means it will be a slow port, with focus on features instead of language religion, and that is intentional.
Complete: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4507&start=45

.... :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Per wrote:>> Today

@macuser: The problem right now is that all handling of graphics data inside the game is a long series of dirty hacks, and needs to be cleaned up before we can make much use of another graphics engine. This is a work in progress. I intend to look at adding support for normal maps soon, as well. About animations, I am trying to think of a better way to get them into the game as a first step.
Source: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2257&p=76624

.... :hmm: Transparent & a piece of work (as in the American slang sense) :ninja:
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Well I see what you mean about "cleaning up the code" but why add normal map support now before a good engine is in place and then have to get rid of it when a better faster more efficient engine is used?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Brings back memories of '04 and early '05... which include the Irrlicht Engine. O_o

Why set a broken bone & put it in a plaster cast when you can use toothpicks intead for splints. :P

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

@macuser: That is a fair question. I guess it comes down to your evaluation of how important normal maps are versus the time estimate for how long a port to another engine such as irrlicht would take to complete.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

@ Per: Ditto & likewise on the implied. :wink: Yebo, sawubona. 8)
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 18 Jan 2011, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Well IMHO it would take less time in the long run if warzone went straight to a 3d engine then if all and sundry features were added and then they were replaced be better more efficient implementations in a 3d engine. Just my 2 cents though ;)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage