Viper Wheels preview

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Viper Wheels preview

Post by Carme Taika »

-post delete-
Last edited by Carme Taika on 23 Feb 2012, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Re: Viper Wheels preview

Post by Safety0ff »

Looks pretty good except for the following areas, they look kind of out of place to me:
Viper-Wheels-1.png
Viper-Wheels-1.png (18.49 KiB) Viewed 7649 times
Though, I'm not sure if the wheel "well" looks that way because of a non-isometric view.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Post by Carme Taika »

-post delete-
Last edited by Carme Taika on 23 Feb 2012, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Carme Taika wrote:So I'm going to have to get good at this and it's going to be a competition then, MaNGusT?
Nope, I've just shown you how I imagine a wheels propulsion. :)
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Post by Carme Taika »

Safety0ff wrote:Looks pretty good except for the following areas, they look kind of out of place to me:Image
Though, I'm not sure if the wheel "well" looks that way because of a non-isometric view.
That's the Eyes and Jaw of the Viper...

What I envision is that the Chassis' were named as there are because they're shaped like an animal sorta...
My modelling, though at a poor start right now, I want to keep that element.
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Post by Carme Taika »

I'm thinking that the Viper Chassis is the head of the snake, and the "Eyes" are open sockets to connect in Ground-Unit Propulsions (Wheels/Tracks)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Interesting POV.

Last edited by Rman Virgil on 01 Mar 2010, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I would prefer if someone made a wheels propulsion that looked less similar to the current tracked propulsion.

(Yours also has a bit too many polygons for something that will occupy maybe 20 pixels)
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Post by Carme Taika »

You forget that the game camera can zoom in and out in saying that it occupies 20 pixels...
also 20 pixels can convey a lot of detail if you let it; the smallest pixels on the edge of a picture zoomed out are really quite noticeable.

On the topic at hand; I did say it was a test model, not even close to a final; it will be revised once I've finished the Truck turret to show it in the form of a completed initial truck unit.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Carme Taika wrote:You forget that the game camera can zoom in and out in saying that it occupies 20 pixels...
also 20 pixels can convey a lot of detail if you let it; the smallest pixels on the edge of a picture zoomed out are really quite noticeable.
True, I mean more that it's usually going to be occupying ~20 pixels. :P

My point here is that we do not want an excessive number of polygons on propulsions, since units are commonly spammed. Wheels should be octagonal or decagonal, additional detail should be left to the bump map.
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Post by Carme Taika »

Point taken; I'll put that into effect in my revisions...

Something tells me, after looking through the thread with MaNGusT and Olrox systematically upgrading all graphics;
That I have a high par to meet if I wanna see my models in-game.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Zarel wrote:Wheels should be octagonal or decagonal, additional detail should be left to the bump map.
Bump mapping makes no sense without the use of smooth groups. :)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Carme Taika wrote:So I'm going to have to get good at this and it's going to be a competition then, MaNGusT?
I don't think it's going to be a "competition" at all, but it indeed looks weird that you work on something that we are already working on. There is quite some interesting discussion in the linked topic that would avoid making things that were already rejected, in your own models.

Anyway, your model has too many polygons, in this level it would be best if you made really high-polygoned models to produce bump-maps for low poly versions, or to make rendered scenes for background or something like that. I didn't like any wheeled propulsion model I've seen so far (not even my own wheel models), but one thing that makes me quite frustrated in yours is the connection to the body - it looks like it will break at any moment, IMO.

As warzone is usually played in medium-far zoom levels, you should make geometry only for things that will be visible at those zoom levels, but not for things that will only be visible at near zooms. Your model has a lot of geometry that'll only be barely visible even at close zooms, when you put textures on it, I think. You should slice those off and make bigger details for geometry, and leave small details to the texture.

Poly counts are more subjective, I'm pretty sure that it's discussed about, with conclusions, in the "models by MaNGuSt topic" as well. I think you could use many ofthe info that's contained in that topic as well. We'll soon leave that one and create a new topic about the AR, with more organized structure and links to updated screenshots on the first page - so that members don't have to search all through the topic to see all the models.

In addition, there's the infamous (just kidding :cool: ) "[Olrox's Hints on Creating Textures & 3D Models]" topic, where you'll find a lot of info on my methods. I'm also open to requests to add new content to the guide, so please post any occasional questions there so that my answers can help all the artwork-producing community!

I hope that this helps you to improve your models - keep up the good work!
~Olrox
Carme Taika
Trained
Trained

Post by Carme Taika »

I... well...
From what I've read about it so-far, Art Revolution is a Mod, not planned to be the core game, correct?
But either way; Tanks are designed to be massed, to move their gun to point, smash a target and most likely lose a few along the way, as that's what makes it war, otherwise you may as well be shooting civilians.

But I'll work at bettering myself in the modeling department and see to making progress instead of trying to clash with work that's already been done.