FMVs => just a thought

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Re: FMVs => just a thought

Post by Giel »

DevUrandom wrote: Does that mean you took the original cutscenes and took screenshots of them? Then those nice images are out allready. Taking screenshots of movies and distributing them is probably a violation of copyright law. (Or whatever else applies)
If you only took them from the game, then it probably would have to be redone using the current game, since the original (1.x) is imo not "yet" free. I think it would be considered a seperate work, different from anything created out of the GPLed sources.
Screenshots of copyrighted work most likely are indeed a copyright violation (except for fair use quoting kind of things).

That fair use part applies to this forum, but not to the game, so we can't use them (or videos we made from using those screenshots) would be violations of (that particulary annoying) copyright law.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

lav_coyote25 wrote: not sure - but its in the folder i have of all the concept drawings and art stuff. ;D

i was thinking - a little bit of judicious cut and paste...you wouldnt have to model the hands. ;)
I have also been thinkingabout this but wouldn't that be a copyright violation either?
I'll look into the other propositions when i get back from school this evening.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Maybe we just alter the FMVs a bit.
Then we can sleep well at night :)
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

ok - have rethought and redid that first briefing screen... only thing is i will need eventually a converter from avi to what format is being used for the animation... imagine flying down towards the command center where the 3 transports are waiting for liftoff... scroll in further for a text and anigraphics briefing with the 3 transports moving towards their respective target locations...should take a very few frames to realize the above animation...all in all about 30 to 45 seconds....or thereabouts...if a trigger to add voice over is included - would be better.. ;D
Attachments
warzone breifing map3.png
warzone breifing map2.png
warzone breifing map1.png
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Because I got a question on this topic:
I am not against video support.

This has to be seen historicaly:
My opinion was that using ingame cutscenes or simple images would be by far easier to implement and in addition would not need any additional library (like libtheora for Theora video decoding).
I favoured ingame cutscenes, because of those 2 it would offer the most flexibility. An additional good point about scripted cutscenes is that they are the most lightweight. They mean only a minimal increase in download size.
Now, that Gerard is working on video support (and apparently got it to work), the objections about easyness of implementation are of course not valid anymore. The videos Hatsjoe produced so far are of good quality, so I am positive that you will get some nice cutscene movies into the game and I wont object against it.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

we can have *both*... make text-based stuff the default, but make it readily apparent that there is an add-on video package. of course, a large percentage of gamers interested in the single player aspect will undoubtedly download the movies, but we still are nice to those with dialup, or those that don't care... since we *already* have text-based cutscenes (pending a little improvement/cleanup), there's absolutely no reason to force videos on people, nor the (potentially) greatly increased download time that goes with them. as long as we put the movie package in the same place as the main game download, we can be sure that everyone who wants the movies will get them, and those that don't are happy they had a choice.
Kyor
Trained
Trained

Post by Kyor »

That's a very good idea.

I may carry on the voices.

My mother is a radio/television speaker/reporter. Her voice is really nice and may be used in those fmv's =]
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Time for an update:

I have done some work on the collective movie but nothing ready to show here. I am very busy right now doing schoolwork. But since my easter holiday just started i might be able to put some time i it the next couple of days.
Hectichermit
Greenhorn

Post by Hectichermit »

just a question....what are you using to make videos...and I was wondering if I could Help.....
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Hatsjoe wrote: BTW: Can i use a student licensed version of 3Ds Max to recreate those files? Cause that's all i got
Looks like 3DSM, but i think to read blender too, somewhere in this topic.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

speaking of which... what and how do you use some software to convert an extreamly huge avi to something that is compatible (ogm maybe??) 

i have come down from over 705 MB (740,175,872 bytes) on disk uncommpressed avi.

to this 62.0 MB (65,093,632 bytes) on disk using (? cant remember what) compression ... but is still a avi...

is there a open source / free      gui that will fit this request... if so  - where  thanks.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

If you have some codecs installed, you can compress them with VirtualDub => http://www.virtualdub.org/
XviD is a nice choice i think. And don't forget to reduce the resolution.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Hectichermit wrote: just a question....what are you using to make videos...and I was wondering if I could Help.....
For the comms movies posted here in this thread i have been using 3dsmax and i hope that in the near future we can sort of start a FMV development team. For now we're just experimenting a bit, seeing what we can do etc. when the time comes, all people that have applied to help will be contacted.
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

lav_coyote25 wrote: speaking of which... what and how do you use some software to convert an extreamly huge avi to something that is compatible (ogm maybe??) 

i have come down from over 705 MB (740,175,872 bytes) on disk uncommpressed avi.

to this 62.0 MB (65,093,632 bytes) on disk using (? cant remember what) compression ... but is still a avi...

is there a open source / free      gui that will fit this request... if so  - where   thanks.

Gerard has already implemented ogg format. So i suggest you use "ffmpeg2theora" to convert your files. Atleast that's what i ve done with the 3 first FMV's. I was very happy with the quality/compression ratio and gerard said it looked really good ingame. So i think that atleast for now we should use thjis as a standard.
Kyor
Trained
Trained

Post by Kyor »

I think we shall remake those briefing parts, because it is only simple images and in bad, bad resolution.

Btw, those map ss is not so good, google earth suckz in that point.

I will try to make something in the photoshop... and post here later.