I hope that begging does help

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Cranox
Rookie
Rookie

I hope that begging does help

Post by Cranox »

Yes i did it...
never thought i would do something but i commited a crime to my own principals.
begging for something.

I deserve a slap in the face fot that..

But here it goes.

You are all aware of the biggest and best RTS al time coming , Supreme commander.(02/16/2007)

Ofcourse i played it already but i was also able to see an interview with the creator...

That's were it got me thinking.

The man Himself (Chris Taylor) knows what hes doing and even more he did make that game with one purpose feeding the needs of teh gamers not feeding the producers money pockets.
I never saw a creator talking about his game with some much passion.

So i thought why not beg him fot taking Wz2100 into considiration...to play it once ... and to look at the possibilities of the game and how it can be with todays technology....

I don't believe in miracles nor in Gods or whatsoever...but i do believe in desparate attemps get answered, i hope that my begging gets answered..

I want that WZ2120, and i wanted it the day before yesterday.

regards

Cranox

cool forums by the ways :)
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Re: I hope that begging does help

Post by Kamaze »

Hmmm, sorry but i dont get the sense of this post. ???
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Cmdr
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cmdr »

did CT have anything to do with WZ2100?

I too wanted to see 2120, but hopefully that is where the resurection project is taking WZ2100 - to better grounds.

Ok the story in the campaign may not have changed, but who cares if it us playable?

Besides, once WZ became open source, after MUCH badgering by the sound of things, I don't think a major software house would pick it up again.  There would be an almighty hoo-har(sp) if the source got closed again, just so somene could dev a sequel.

Its just a pity Pumpkin pulled the plug when they did.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Cranox wrote: Yes i did it...
never thought i would do something but i commited a crime to my own principals.
begging for something.

I deserve a slap in the face fot that..

But here it goes.

You are all aware of the biggest and best RTS al time coming , Supreme commander.(02/16/2007)

Ofcourse i played it already but i was also able to see an interview with the creator...

That's were it got me thinking.

The man Himself (Chris Taylor) knows what hes doing and even more he did make that game with one purpose feeding the needs of teh gamers not feeding the producers money pockets.

So i thought why not beg him fot taking Wz2100 into considiration...to play it once ... and to look at the possibilities of the game and how it can be with todays technology....

I don't believe in miracles nor in Gods or whatsoever...but i do believe in desparate attemps get answered, i hope that my begging gets answered..

I want that WZ2120, and i wanted it the day before yesterday.

regards

Cranox

cool forums by the ways :)
* Kwel.... you too have experienced the future of RTS gameing.. thought I was alone here.

* Agree with your POV on "SC" & the brilliant Chris Taylor - who is, like you said, passionate... not afraid to show emotion in public.

* Pretty ballsy of you to even approach CT about WZ... props on that brother. :)

* While I'm obviously not a mind reader I'd be willing to put money on a at least one core area that CT would touch-on if he did evaluate WZ and that is -

* Command & Control Schema and GUI

* IMHO, WZ's deepest flaws stem from its present structure in that core area.... BUT also it's greatest opportunities for evolving.

* Actually this has been acknowledged since '99 just that Pumpkin didn't stay together long enough to address like they would have liked to.

* Pre-source release remedies to this were detailed - some implemented. I'm thinking of SAB's "TWZ" re-write.... it's GPMs specifically addressing these flaws in Command & Control.... another attempt was the "Global Command Interface" and Schema detailed 3 years ago at RTS.net.

* Now I don't know what went on in the prelim design meetings for "Supreme Commander" x-years ago.... But having experienced it's awesome GPMs, including it's Command & Control schema and GUI.... Let's just say I was delighted to see the full implementation of something I already deeply believed in and was familiar with in great detail thru independent experience.

* It would surely be interesting to hear what CT has to say if he responds.

* My guess, besides what I've already spoken too, is that it probably won't make a bit of difference in these proceedings at this time - and if it did it's a year to 2 years out into the future.

* Which leads me to - look foward to seeing you in the "SC" community &  playing & creating in that sandbox as well.

Cheers, rv :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Cmdr
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cmdr »

Cranox wrote: The man Himself (Chris Taylor) knows what hes doing and even more he did make that game with one purpose feeding the needs of teh gamers not feeding the producers money pockets.
I have seen one at least equal to CT - David Braben.  And too anyone who is interested, Elite IV is supposedly inm the pipeline after he finishes "the Outsider".  Bad news - that aint due out till 2008/09
http://www.frontier.co.uk/home.html
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

You don't need to be afraid of anything... The sourcecode can't be closed anymore, it is licensed under the GPL...
I don't yet get the point of all this, though. If whatever game-designer plays this game for an hour, what is the benefit for us? That he tells us that we have a lot of problems?
Cranox
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cranox »

DevUrandom wrote: You don't need to be afraid of anything... The sourcecode can't be closed anymore, it is licensed under the GPL...
I don't yet get the point of all this, though. If whatever game-designer plays this game for an hour, what is the benefit for us? That he tells us that we have a lot of problems?
Read between the lines please :)

Warzone 2100 pumpkin studios.
Warzone 2120 pumpkin studios// sadly never happend

My wish, that someone like CT is willing to do what pumpkin couldn't...finish wz2120.

EASY NO?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Cranox wrote: My wish, that someone like CT is willing to do what pumpkin couldn't...finish wz2120.
Oh, the post by Cmdr got me confused and it's the one I replied to.
Cmdr wrote: Besides, once WZ became open source, after MUCH badgering by the sound of things, I don't think a major software house would pick it up again.  There would be an almighty hoo-har(sp) if the source got closed again, just so somene could dev a sequel.
For making that designer create a sequel to WZ2100 (maybe named WZ2120), I don't care.
But I think he would have to work for Eidos in that case, since they own the name, story, characters, etc.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

DevUrandom wrote: You don't need to be afraid of anything... The sourcecode can't be closed anymore, it is licensed under the GPL...
* I'd be shocked if CT would talk about obvious problems.

* If he did take an interest it would ( I'm almost zure) be from the POV of seeing and possibly supporting OPPORTUNITIES  (not repeating obvious probs.)

* Such as the development of "WZ 2120" as Cronox has pointed out.... something Pumpkin would have done had Eidos not taken the rights away from them. And "WZ 2100" would have not only advanced the Campaign but also have addressed a host of GPM issues - like "Commander Turret" A.I. and much more that was in the planing stages before the Eidos decision to ax WZ & Pumpkin.

- rv :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

DevUrandom wrote:
For making that designer create a sequel to WZ2100 (maybe named WZ2120), I don't care.
But I think he would have to work for Eidos in that case, since they own the name, story, characters, etc.
* That would be a very easy hurdle for CT to deal with.

* But more to the point for me personally is that "Supreme Commander" already has implemented the core GPM & GUI advances planned for "WZ 2120" and "TWZ" and "WZ 2100" pre-source release. As such, it is the future of RTS right now - a missed opportunity for WZ perhaps, but such is life.

- rv :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

* Cranox..... I don't know what the final release of the "SC" Modding Tool-set will be BUT....

* From everthing I have been privy to....

* "WZ 2120" could very possibly be made as a major MOD to "Supreme Commander" !!!!

* Think about it.... all of WZ's present contraints, shortfalls & flaws could be completely circumvented (because already addressed in "SC" core architecture) BUT all of the still useful WZ GPL assets (models etc.) could be recycled into this MOD..... this has actually been under consideration for the many months..... pending "SC" final release etc.... to proceed.

* Keep hope alive - it looks to be very doable..... "WZ 2120", natch...

* Ahhh, life can be wonderful - especially as a lover and not a hater. :)

- rv :D

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Rman Virgil wrote: * Cranox..... I don't know what the final release of the "SC" Modding Tool-set will be BUT....

* From everthing I have been privy to....

* "WZ 2120" could very possibly be made as a major MOD to "Supreme Commander" !!!!

* Think about it.... all of WZ's present contraints, shortfalls & flaws could be completely circumvented (because already addressed in "SC" core architecture) BUT all of the still useful WZ GPL assets (models etc.) could be recycled into this MOD..... this has actually been under consideration for the many months..... pending "SC" final release etc.... to proceed.

* Keep hope alive - it looks to be very doable..... "WZ 2120", natch...

* Ahhh, life can be wonderful - especially as a lover and not a hater. :)

- rv :D

erm...sorry for the party pooper,but why mod a game that has limited moddability while we have full access to wz source?
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Watermelon wrote: erm...sorry for the party pooper,but why mod a game that has limited moddability while we have full access to wz source?
* Heh.... your not a party pooper Watermellon. :)

* "Limited modability".... hmmm, actually that depends on the scope of what you have in mind.

* Fact is to advance WZ core Command & Control GPMs & Command GUI (Rank & Exp Schema, multiple cameras-windows, & dynamic LOD, as well) is a huge undertaking that would probably have to fall under a "MOD" to the GPL WZ....in any case.

* ALL that work is already done in "SC"  (which will be VERY Mod-friendly, btw)... so the work left to do would essentially fall under, writeing, recycling assets, being able to create new state of the art maps, gfx, etc....with state of the art editing tools across the board.

* Right now you can barely make functional maps with 32 EW.... and compared to what can be done in "SC".... well it's not even close.

* In sum...... Its WAY more feasible and easy (man-hour wise, fun vs. frustration) to make "WZ 2120" as a Mod to "SC" than as a Mod to the "GPL WZ" - at this stage.... let us say.. maybe in a year or 2 from now it will be different... But then we'll already be that much into "WZ 2120" before it is even possible in WZ itself.

* Maybe I just don't have the patience anymore.... I just wanna get going and get it done.... & oddly, from everything I can see "SC" will allow me to do it wereas, at this stage, it's not even a close call with the GPL WZ.

* And that's ok.... because there's NO conflict of interest here... just the opposite.... it will be a Win-Win, a mutually beneficial development, each positively feeding the other in many ways.. at least that is how I see it. Harmony and support all the way across gameing communities can prevail, methinks.

Cheers, rv :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Cmdr
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cmdr »

But what about the customisable units?  That is the main reason I play WZ.  Not for the campaign, but fo the variety that has be brought in by body propulsion and turret.  I have seen nothing else come close, not even earth 2160.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Rman Virgil wrote: * Ahhh, life can be wonderful - especially as a lover and not a hater. :)
Could we PLEASE stop that?