Upgraded Truck model/texture needed!

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Upgraded Truck model/texture needed!

Post by Zarel »

Avestron wrote:I am still struggling with texturing...

Managed to apply a texture to part of an object but the render comes out very faint.

Also any tips on how to apply team colours? Is this a particular texture or a matter of multiple images?
Multiple images. Well, it's usually in the same image file. Look at the other texture files for examples.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Also see http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/PIE_models for a description of how this works.
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

Thank you for the guidance.

So I will also need to create an image that incorporates all the textures of this particular model, including team colours.

Is there a way to let blender know that you want to use a particular section of image for one model face and another section for a different model face?

Will I need to make 8 blender files to represent each team colour?
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

Not much progress. Still learning the basics of trexturing (thanks to the kind poster and those who assisted)

Well unwrapping let me to redo the model... again. The other one was simply too complicated for effective rendering - at my level anyway. So I went ahead with a lower poly model that was mostly easier to deal except for the constructor prongs.

In the above image you will notice that the two slopes of the front section are not rendered similarly - with one tieing the face to the outer edge and the other tieing in with the inner one (hence the untidy frontal look). I've yet to solve that issue.

In the above image I clipped the ends off and cut clean across the one side for the purpose of seamed unwrapping.

The results however look a little less than what one had hoped for (you will need to 'view image' to see the full image). Where do you suppose that I went wrong?
luisynai101
Trained
Trained

Post by luisynai101 »

how bout if the truck cant build anything if its farther than lets say 10 feet away from base (dont know how long that will be in the game) till wether you update to a new research update for it or after 3-5 minutes or more like the time one best :) just a suggestion what i will do
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

In the above image you will notice that the two slopes of the front section are not rendered similarly - with one tieing the face to the outer edge and the other tieing in with the inner one (hence the untidy frontal look). I've yet to solve that issue.
try this: most faces i work with have 4 vertices, theoretically this is one too much, three would suffice. blender does split it automatically. to prevent this, just edit the 4-vertices faces to two 3 vertices faces.
e.g. in editmode: [ctrl-tab] [3] select the faces then [delete]. now [ctrl-tab] [1] and click on _three_ points press [f] to create a new face.
i hope you got what i mean^^

regards
elio
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

I would really like to see a new replication module,that hauler thing is sooo useless.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

Thanks for the pointers Elio. I learnt a new trick (vertices/edge/face selection).

It didn't work - basically used 'f' to conjoin vertices on the opposite diagonals of the face.

Thats ok though. I did make a further modification that seems to have sorted in. Deleted the front face and reconstructed it via extrusion. Modified the face sufficiently to fix that issue.

Just a go-between image - still a work in progress...

Oh... and Tenoh - would be a little more helpful if you had some suggestions on improvement.
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

I would create a new tech all together and make a new module to look like something else.Dont get me wrong, your modeling is great but i think the whole look needs to evolve not just small details.
Maybe something that looked more futuristic and looked like a real emitter array for once.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

How about a crane protuding from the front of the Truckbed instead of the third "horn"?
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

Here's a quick concept I made in blender.
The lighting setup isn't very good, and I'm sure people will say the "armor" blocks should be done in textures, anyways.
Basically it should sit lower on the body giving that "lighter/compact" feel and the armor blocks give it the "more hp" feel.

Btw it's not textured or anything, I just thought I'd set it up like that to give you a better idea of what it would be like in game.

Comments?
Attachments
134 vertices, 164 faces
134 vertices, 164 faces
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

how about just a simple block like structure - not too bulky that would contain the "materials" for the beam spray that the "builder bobs" use to build with. :3
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

lav_coyote25 wrote:how about just a simple block like structure - not too bulky that would contain the "materials" for the beam spray that the "builder bobs" use to build with. :3
I suppose the faces inside the bucket can come up to form the shapes where the textures will add "materials."
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

have you ever seen a fuel / greaser truck for onsite maintenance of large belly scrapers or cranes? basicly a box covering the workings. just to keep the dirt and dust off the stuff inside.
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

Is this closer to what you had in mind? ( I'm not worried about re-working the arms yet.)
Attachments
truck2.png