The *NEW* Warzone walkthrough (Done with RED units)

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Re: The *NEW* Warzone guide. Done with RED units V2.2RC1

Post by themousemaster »

The plan is that, once I am finished, Zarel is going to move it to the Walkthrough section of this site, and touch it up to include such niceties as hyperlinks to the upgradable research found per stage.

And of course, some serious proofreading needs to be done... Spelling errors abound (go figure, a spellechecker doesn't catch stuff like "at he" when I meant "at the" and whatnot), and sometimes when typing like mad, I get West and East reversed, especially when saying things like "the force at the west moving eastward".

As for Gamma campaign... boy the stages there are all over the map. Some small, some huge, some short, some need a full 2 hours, and that finale stage... at least Nexus (and his hyper-advanced technological units) is nice enough to not replace/rebuild units killed by the Project during Gamma campaign. Well, not directly anyway...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

themousemaster wrote:The plan is that, once I am finished, Zarel is going to move it to the Walkthrough section of this site, and touch it up to include such niceties as hyperlinks to the upgradable research found per stage.
Actually, I'm supposed to do that right now. I just haven't got around to anything after the first level. :P
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

As I said, at the rate I am getting to them now, you can average 1 hyperlink a day and still pass me to completion.

No rush :P
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

At the rate I'm getting them done, I've done one walkthrough in... about five months?

Yeah, you're still winning. ;)
Nancy08

Post by Nancy08 »

good direct course, indeed.

motivating force for all. :cool:
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

That's a good initiative - well done! From what I've read and seen, the content is very clear. If I wasn't into 196753 projects I would offer to help with making hyperlinks, formatting, making some index etc. :P

This guide got great potential, keep up the good work!
DiegoV
New user

Post by DiegoV »

For some reason, my leveling of the secondary base at the end of Beta 5 is not being registered. I've re-started the level many times, destroyed it before tackling the main NW base, and NEVER has the blinking red dot for this LZ dissappeared. I'm at a loss, and can't go on to the next stage. Any suggestions? There's not one structure left on the map (enemy or otherwise), just the LZ dot... and sometimes, a couple of civilians refusing to be rescued.

themousemaster wrote:Don't worry about "picking up the civilians". As long as you are within 2 miles of this part of the stage, you will rescue some,a nd some will get away. Nothing can really be done about that; it's scripted. As long as ANYONE is rescued, you're good.
(...)

When this base it totally levelled, you can go back to researching... and getting ready with some serious perparations for later.
Jorks
New user

Post by Jorks »

Hi, At the end of ALPHA-11, I managed to cleanup all tanks and lancer towers by using my own attempt i.e. by combining your Opt 1&2 (Thanks any way :D ).
But I see nothing there when moving my tanks in. Only the NP flight very fast had taken away something and I got "Enemy Escape" warning, I loss!
What could be wrong? Sorry, I do not know whether I can forwards this question here.
BRgds.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Jorks wrote:Hi, At the end of ALPHA-11, I managed to cleanup all tanks and lancer towers by using my own attempt i.e. by combining your Opt 1&2 (Thanks any way :D ).
But I see nothing there when moving my tanks in. Only the NP flight very fast had taken away something and I got "Enemy Escape" warning, I loss!
What could be wrong? Sorry, I do not know whether I can forwards this question here.
BRgds.
You need to move REAL fast at the start; if you haven't gotten to the "central chasm" (where the NP start their escape from) within the first few minutes, they will already be far enough ahead of you to make it to their own LZ before you can catch them. That Heavy-Body Heavy-Cannon tank is the key; if you don't intercept him early, you will lose.

DiegoV wrote:For some reason, my leveling of the secondary base at the end of Beta 5 is not being registered. I've re-started the level many times, destroyed it before tackling the main NW base, and NEVER has the blinking red dot for this LZ dissappeared. I'm at a loss, and can't go on to the next stage. Any suggestions? There's not one structure left on the map (enemy or otherwise), just the LZ dot... and sometimes, a couple of civilians refusing to be rescued.
If memory serves me, You don't have to stop the bottom red dot from flashing; it's not destroying the base that triggers the "bottom" objective to finish, it's the "reconciliation" of all the civilians. Whether rescued by you or taken by the collective, every last one must be dealt with. I've run into pathing issues that, if you totally block the narrow entrance to the LZ, will cause the civvies to run northward, getting lost among the map... and as small as they are, they can be hard to spot, and even if spotted, may not be "rescuable".

I haven't tested this, but you can try it also:

Part of the "southern objective" is to "chase off or destroy the collective transport". However, said transport only appears if there are civvies at the LZ for it to pick up. So before heading south to trigger the event, bring some AA tanks so that the first time you see it, you can shoot at it. That may trigger the "chase off the transport" criteria.

All in all though, once all civvies are "off the map", and the NW base is totally levelled, the stage should end.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

http://guide.wz2100.net/alpha2
http://guide.wz2100.net/alpha3

Alpha 2 and 3 are done. I'm catching up. ;)
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

Zarel wrote:http://guide.wz2100.net/alpha2
http://guide.wz2100.net/alpha3

Alpha 2 and 3 are done. I'm catching up. ;)
Very, very slowly.
Bring back...ducks!
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

To those of you waited on the edge of your seat for the first (and possibly even SECOND) Gamma installment, I might have some spare time this Thanksgiving Holiday to run off a stage or 2. Stay tuned for more details.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

So right about now, you are probably all think "dern that unreliable mousemaster, promising me juicy guide tidbits on thanksgiving and not delivering..."

Well, I ran into 2 slight snags:

1) Not only did I not get a 4-day holiday weekend, I didn't even get a 2-day weekend. Stupid fruit season at work.

2) My monitor fried, forcing me to buy a new one, but leaving me without one till I managed to run to a store for it.

All of my screenshots till this point were in 1024x768... which is a resolution that my monitor no longer fits. Go figure.

I'll be switching to a widescreen 1280X720 for the remainder of the guide, just in time for the Nexus assault...

If anyone really wants me to go back to 1024x768, just feel free to send a new monitor to <address removed> :P.

Anyway, I'm delving into Gamma1 now. stand by :3
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

D:

Can you use a resolution with a width no more than 1024?
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

GAMMA1

So, did you like what Nexus just did to Beta? No? Well then, it's our turn.

The good news: you have the 40 units you rescued available to you, and a hefty sum of 15000 to start. Of which you will have lots of time to "milk" this stage for more, AND a windfall later.

The bad news: unlike your alpha -> beta transition, which was really just heavier units of the type you were used to and VTOLs as the "surprise addtion", this time you'll be dealing with heavier units, and surprises just about every single stage.

But that's what a guide is for...
Gamma1 - beginning.JPG
As soon as you land (with a force of mixed trucks and AssaultGun tanks if you were following my beta guide), you will come under assault by nexus Cyborgs from the north.

Fight them off (if you have AG tanks you can probably kill some, otherwise you will just chase them back). There will also be a few nexus units through the narrow East passage; skirmish with them to chase them off before building (if you don't see both cyborgs AND hovertanks west, then leave your AG tanks there till you do), and pull your combat tanks back behind the "canyon". Then, start your construction. You will want, in order:

1 repair bay
2 research facilities (1 before, 1 after the 4 defenses)
4 Machinegun defenses
1 HQ
1 factory
2 power generators
X (a few) scattred AA defenses
1 sensor.

While this sounds like a crummy base, you might have noticed just how little real estate you have right now. We will essentially be building our base on this ENTIRE stage, so no reason to start planning for an urban sprawl in this corner. I've indicated where the key structures go; everything else, just fit in yourself. Make sure that you don't build in a way that your trucks cannot get around every single structure though... at the end of this stage, we have some additional setup to do, and blocking truck access with buildings and walls would ruin everything.

Once the trucks have their build orders, wait for the repair bay (to repair your tanks from those initial cyborgs... man, didn't they hurt more than you'd think for mere cyborgs?), and start your next load of units flying in (include your Commander and only enough trucks in this load to replace any you lost, otherwise, fill it up with MBG combat units, AG tanks preferred).

While waiting or them to land, you can "skirmish" your current AG tanks with any forces to the north, but do NOT head west (after you've chased off the guys there anyway); let your 4 defenses hold that area for now.

Also, make sure your first research is the Machinegun tech. I know the Artillery one looks juicy, but it will be a while before we make use of artillery.
Gamma1 - NE base.JPG
When your fresh forces land, it's time to press north. This is what you can expect to see.

The enemy has a patrol of 4 units (2 hovertanks 2 rocket cyborgs) that will follow the green path. Basically, it means that you will either run into them IN the base, OR, they will approach your attack force from the SW. There aren't many of them, just don't let them surprise you.

The "attack path" WOULD be a major bottleneck, however, due to the sparse defenses on this plateau, it shouldn't pose a problem, even if the enemy patrol engages you. If it does, reload your game, wait 10 seconds for the patrol to be somewhere else, and try again. Nexus will likely fire a few rounds of Artillery and launch some small airstrikes from the NW of the map during this attack; just suck it up and take the hits (it shouldn't kill anything), and get the Sensor Tower in this base down quickly to stop the artillery barrage, and add an AA pit or 3 in the mountain depression to shoot at the planes (you can build them while ttacking the base, as your MBG should keep the patrol away from the construction efforts).

(Oh, and don't build that Sensor tower in the picture; since I don't have my Scrub VTOLs yet on this stage, that is my ghetto-method of revealing map. getting it up cost me 5 trucks ;p).

Also during this time, Nexus will launch a yet-unseen weapon: VTOLS armed with Incendiary ordinance. They will head for your main base, and fire bombs that then burst into fire, burning the area just like a Flamer would. Odds are whatever they target is going down, so have your trucks ready to rebuild (though wait till the ground stops burning first).

With this plateau in your control, set up 2 more (each) research facilities and power stations, as well as a "forward" repair bay; also, that large, empty plain that the "attack path" starts from is an EXCELLENT place for a very large airfield, but we don't need Airpower for this stage, so we'll set it up later. A CB and sensor tower in this area will be good as well, as we are gong to do some shelling from here (you'll see). The base itself will yield a new Power Generation tech.

For your next airlift, go ahead and start sending in your Artillery Brigade. When they land, send them north to the new base (and of course, start your final airlift).
Gamma1 - NE prep.JPG
In this SS, I am preparing to go to the NE base. Specifically, what I am doing is this:

the MBG you see at the bottom of the SS will be sweeping around south to go to the enemy base. The Artillery brigade is currently sitting in position to shell said base as soon as they enemy artillery makes themselves known by shooting my MBG, courtesy of my CB tower. And when the enemy artillery fires back at my Artillery brigade... they are all standing around the forward Repair bay, so that they receive immediate repairs. Further, once my MBG has made a bit of headway (and the enemy artillery is quiet), I can set up a forward sensor to allow my Groundshakers to level everything. Boy I'm smart ;p.