Honest opinions of this project...

Website issues & feedback. Constructive criticism is welcome.
(Guest posting is allowed under certain circumstances)
If you have a problem with certain individuals, then PM the Staff account.
Commander

Honest opinions of this project...

Post by Commander »

I have been following this port of the game for a while now, and I can honestly say that I still use my vanila version of Warzone 2100 due to the fact that it will only chrash on me once in a blue moon and that it has all the FMV movies. Where as this port chrashes all the time and is still *unstable* (in my books)

When the fmv's are included in a public download version and the chrash bugs are fixed this will be more popular. Ive tired to get others to play this but they won't touch it with a wooden stick because the game doesnt make much sense with out them fmv's. But I can say that it's good that the music is included now, although it bugs out if you load a game from the main menu and keeps playing the menu music instead. Another bug ive seen is that when trying to save the game when VTOL's keep replaying the flying noise will chrash it. Also using the "--cheats" seems to stop me from starting a campain game.

These are the issues that are stoping me from using this port over the orginal game. Im not trying to bash or start a flame war, just giving my opion. But keep up the good work team.

(I would have loged in but my password seems to have changed or something since I last logged in and posted)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Honest opinions of this project...

Post by Zarel »

This, this, a thousand times this.

I've been saying this for a while now - 1.10 may have been buggy and somewhat unstable, but it's not nearly as bad as 2.1 or trunk can be. 2.1 has better graphics, but the instability really gets to you, when 60% of your multiplayer games end in crashes and freezes - and that's on a video card with good OpenGL support, never mind the ones we don't support because of lack of drivers.

I haven't done much marketing of Warzone yet mostly because of the lack of FMVs. 2.2 will have them, though, so I'll be holding out 'til then.

I haven't heard of the main menu music bug, though. Let me see if I can reproduce that.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Zarel wrote:I haven't heard of the main menu music bug, though. Let me see if I can reproduce that.
I find that if you have music file in mods\global\autoload\music\music that isn't in the playlist then you won't get any music.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

Commander wrote: When the fmv's are included in a public download version and the chrash bugs are fixed this will be more popular. Ive tired to get others to play this but they won't touch it with a wooden stick because the game doesnt make much sense with out them fmv's. But I can say that it's good that the music is included now, although it bugs out if you load a game from the main menu and keeps playing the menu music instead. Another bug ive seen is that when trying to save the game when VTOL's keep replaying the flying noise will chrash it. Also using the "--cheats" seems to stop me from starting a campain game.

These are the issues that are stoping me from using this port over the orginal game. Im not trying to bash or start a flame war, just giving my opion. But keep up the good work team.
Well, I don't care much for the movies, neither do other people I know. However the stability is a problem for me. It seems to be a bit more stable on GNU/Linux (free graphics drivers) than on Windows (ATI's drivers), but even there it's not stable nough. The stability problems on Linux seem to be unrelated to graphics for me. Sometimes the game hangs when I click on a game in the lobby, sometimes it hangs in the screen that comes after that (where you change player color,e tc), sometimes it's after just starting a game (the percentage in the lower left goes up to maybe 30% and just stays there; for some reason the percentage in the lower left corner goes up a lot slower on Linux than on windows for me).

Philipp
hiimpartyboy
Greenhorn

Post by hiimpartyboy »

The game runs fine for me and I am using windows 7 beta. However,I do notice that when I tell my units to traverse terrain,they get stuck on the corners and don't get dislodged until I do it manually by singling it out. It's kind of irritating,especially in a pitched battle. Game runs fine,audio stutters,but it ingorable. Kind of wish the FMV's were in there,it . it's be cool if you could transplant and re-code the FMV's from the retail version onto this one.
-War transforms us,but who and what we turn into is up to the battlefield.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Those who can, do. Those who can't complain.

If you want something to be fixed then file a bug/crash report against it and hopefully someone will be able to fix it.

Regards, Freddie.
hiimpartyboy
Greenhorn

Post by hiimpartyboy »

At the risk of sounding rude,I wasn't saying I wanted it to be fixed,it was merely an observation. :3 I sent that post off and forgot to edit it,my fault :P . I meant to amend it to say that the retail version suffers from the very same problem,then again the code was given"as is" bugs and all. Kind of a drag,that they never got around to fixing that bug w/the units scripting/path finding behaviors. But I shall make an abridged post stating the previous,if it hasn't been reported already. Many thanks to you! :D . If you want a game that's fun and is highly broken,I recommend S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:CLEAR SKY.A great game bogged down by broken AI,missions,etc,now that's a real chore. The price for rushing the devs of that project lolz! xD
-War transforms us,but who and what we turn into is up to the battlefield.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

EvilGuru wrote:Those who can, do. Those who can't complain.

If you want something to be fixed then file a bug/crash report against it and hopefully someone will be able to fix it.
No need to be so bristly. A lot of the bugs we're complaining about have already been reported. Some of them are easy to fix, some of them aren't, which is why they haven't. But the ones that haven't are definitely frustrating enough to turn away some users, and we should address this problem.
hiimpartyboy wrote:However,I do notice that when I tell my units to traverse terrain,they get stuck on the corners and don't get dislodged until I do it manually by singling it out.
Known bug.
hiimpartyboy wrote:Kind of wish the FMV's were in there,it . it's be cool if you could transplant and re-code the FMV's from the retail version onto this one.
We've already done that. FMVs will be in 2.2.
FlamingPope
New user

Post by FlamingPope »

Honest 2 cents:
Buildings limit option set higher, Unit limit control
And with all the new features and updates to be added- I think an ingame mod manager is in order, to help with user interface.

And I have a question about the engine. Do you guys know enough about the source code of it to tinker around with that part? Like for larger maps, or more detailed tiles. aka the squares seen in editworld. I'm a map maker and it seems kinda hard to make many interesting maps with this current engine
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

And with all the new features and updates to be added- I think an ingame mod manager is in order, to help with user interface.
The current user interface is extremely difficult to work with -- making things such as a mod manager very difficult. Until we get around to replacing the current widget toolkit there is little that can really be done.
And I have a question about the engine. Do you guys know enough about the source code of it to tinker around with that part? Like for larger maps, or more detailed tiles. aka the squares seen in editworld. I'm a map maker and it seems kinda hard to make many interesting maps with this current engine.
Larger maps are not really possible without breaking save game compatibility. I know that Buggy had a patch for it a while back, however it was never applied.

As for more detailed tiles: have you looked at any of the threads on the new terrain renderer that is in trunk? They go up to 2048x2048 per tile (although the physical size of the tile is somewhat larger). Several orders of magnitude larger by my count. Looking at the terrain renderer stuff should also answer you question about if "we" know enough about the source code.

Regards, Freddie.