wz2.1 where is lancer?

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
zydonk
Trained
Trained

wz2.1 where is lancer?

Post by zydonk »

As promised, troman seems to have modified his original rebalances of the Lancer rocket. In fact, it looks from preresearch.txt that the original balance has been restored. Yet the rocket is not appearing for research where one would expect it.

I tried to create a mod for RC to restore the old balance, but could never get it to work. I'm thinking that something similar may be happening here.

Any suggestions?
Delphinio
Art contributor

1.10 Research Mod Released

Post by Delphinio »

there...
have fun ^^
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Re: wz2.1 where is lancer?

Post by zydonk »

Thanks for the mod, Delphinio. I appreciate it, as I'm sure others will too.

Even so, my initial query remains unanswered. Delphinio created his mod by amending the RC research files by reference to troman's initial rebalances as recorded in trac. (This is what I tried to do, but without success.) But if you check the 210 research files, you will discover that they are the old 110 research files, completely unchanged as far as I can judge and with CAM references that are now irrelevant.

This could be allowed as sloppy editing - provided it worked. It doesn't, and for some weird reason the rebalances remain effective. How can this happen?

A second point to be made is this: I don't use cyborgs very much, but it appears from comparisons that a significant number of changes were made to cyborg research, which may well be lost. Has this happened?

Some will ask what the bother is about. We have an effective de-rebalance(!), thanks to Delphinio, and that is all that is wanted. But the research files in the "official" wz are wrong in some way or other. Goodness knows what kind of problems this might cause in the future.

I suggest that Delphinio's modded files replace those WZ210.

I've just checked this, but it seems that the whole of the stats folder now in 210 was taken over wholesale from 110. Many of these files seem to differ significantly from WZ vRC. What difference does this make?

It's a pity if troman's response to my complaint about changes to the role of Lancer in the game led to his abandoning all of the other modifications he made. Many of them seemed well-considered and none aroused any opposition. So, from this perspective, using Delphinio's files will keep these other changes while making us Lancerians happy. However, I don't know what difference reverting to the 110 stats files will make. Maybe troman can tell us.

slan leat
unknown3056
New user

Post by unknown3056 »

what excactly does this mod do?
i like grilled cheese :D
Delphinio
Art contributor

Post by Delphinio »

This Mod sets the 2.1 research back to the old 1.10 research.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

zydonk wrote:Even so, my initial query remains unanswered. Delphinio created his mod by amending the RC research files by reference to troman's initial rebalances as recorded in trac. (This is what I tried to do, but without success.) But if you check the 210 research files, you will discover that they are the old 110 research files, completely unchanged as far as I can judge and with CAM references that are now irrelevant.

This could be allowed as sloppy editing - provided it worked. It doesn't, and for some weird reason the rebalances remain effective. How can this happen?

A second point to be made is this: I don't use cyborgs very much, but it appears from comparisons that a significant number of changes were made to cyborg research, which may well be lost. Has this happened?

Some will ask what the bother is about. We have an effective de-rebalance(!), thanks to Delphinio, and that is all that is wanted. But the research files in the "official" wz are wrong in some way or other. Goodness knows what kind of problems this might cause in the future.

I suggest that Delphinio's modded files replace those WZ210.

I've just checked this, but it seems that the whole of the stats folder now in 210 was taken over wholesale from 110. Many of these files seem to differ significantly from WZ vRC. What difference does this make?

It's a pity if troman's response to my complaint about changes to the role of Lancer in the game led to his abandoning all of the other modifications he made. Many of them seemed well-considered and none aroused any opposition. So, from this perspective, using Delphinio's files will keep these other changes while making us Lancerians happy. However, I don't know what difference reverting to the 110 stats files will make. Maybe troman can tell us.
No, I think you've accidentally looked at data/base/. Troman's rebalancing is in data/mp/.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Thanks for the responses.
Zarel wrote:No, I think you've accidentally looked at data/base/. Troman's rebalancing is in data/mp/.
Not sure what this refers to. I'm assuming that research info for the game itself is to be found in stats/research/multiplayer/prresearch.txt, this being the file that is altered by the rebalancing (and modified in turn by Delphinio). If you compare prresearch.txt in v2.1 with the RCs of v2.0, you will see changes at item 126. Now compare the text file in v210 with the original in 1.0 - they are exactly the same. Use Word or the like to compare them.

elio: likewise, compare your tech tree entry for Lancer (taken, I assume, from v2.0RC) with what is now in 2.1. (Fine job you have done, by the way.)

As I wrote above, the game itself does not reflect these changes, which remains a mystery to me (ie, I might still be wrong).

ciao
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

zydonk wrote:Not sure what this refers to. I'm assuming that research info for the game itself is to be found in stats/research/multiplayer/prresearch.txt, this being the file that is altered by the rebalancing (and modified in turn by Delphinio). If you compare prresearch.txt in v2.1 with the RCs of v2.0, you will see changes at item 126. Now compare the text file in v210 with the original in 1.0 - they are exactly the same. Use Word or the like to compare them.
Multiplayer research prereq info for the game itself is in:

data/mp/stats/research/multiplayer/prresearch.txt
or
mp.wz -> stats/research/multiplayer/prresearch.txt

I think your problem is that you're accidentally looking at:

data/base/stats/research/multiplayer/prresearch.txt
or
base.wz -> stats/research/multiplayer/prresearch.txt

which is a completely unused file.

Anyway, 2.1 has all the differences Troman added, see the diff
zydonk wrote:elio: likewise, compare your tech tree entry for Lancer (taken, I assume, from v2.0RC) with what is now in 2.1.
It's taken from 2.1 stable (to be exact, it was taken somewhere between 2.1 beta 4 and 2.1 beta 5, but nothing's changed in the data files between that and 2.1 stable).
zydonk wrote:(Fine job you have done, by the way.)
Thanks.
zydonk wrote:As I wrote above, the game itself does not reflect these changes, which remains a mystery to me (ie, I might still be wrong).
As I said, this is because you're looking at the wrong file.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

Zarel wrote: (Fine job you have done, by the way.)
Thanks.
^^
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

It had to be some silly little error. Anyway, thanks Zarel for taking the trouble. Your use of "base" in place of "warzone" threw me off initially.

btw: I see the online Guide is yours. Hell of a lot of work there. The tech tree is really impressive (and informative).