New map - Urban Chaos

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New map - Urban Chaos

Post by Mysteryem »

Edit: File re-uploaded
I decided to have a go at map making, this is what I've ended up with:
4c-Urban-Chaos.wz
4c-Urban-Chaos.png
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New map - Urban Chaos

Post by Mysteryem »

I've now re-uploaded the map now that I've randomize the tiles. It looks more real now :)
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
wari
Trained
Trained

Post by wari »

Excellent work thanks!
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Nice intriguing map, mysteryem. I've played it through several times now. On first play, I found that the quartering walls had the effect of funnelling all the fighting into the centre, to great effect. It was a challenge to overcome such massed forces. However, once you know the layout of the map, you simply set up a defence at the neck of your quarter, which both keeps the AI players away from your base and gives you command of the centre. Less of a challenge in that case. I imagine it would be even worse in mp, where each player would take control of his quarter, so that a game would descend into just popping away from turtle positions. This would make for static, very attritional fights, whereas it seems mp fares better with rush tactics and high mobility.

But, as I say, the map itself remains intriguing. The idea of forcing players into the centre before they can attack one another is excellent. The trouble is that the way it is done in UrbanX creates choke points that can have the contrary effect of inhibiting gameplay. Perhaps the map is too small for this strategy. Experiment some more - there's a good idea in there that can be really developed.

adios
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Update - New Map - Urban Chaos

Post by Mysteryem »

I've updated Urban Chaos, enjoy. :)
4c-Urban-Chaos.wz
Updated urban chaos map.
(12.56 KiB) Downloaded 585 times
I'm currently making another map which I will hopefully finish soon.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

- Besides echoing zydonk's astute comments let me add what I find interesting.

- The tactical use of map feature placements also affords players in MP the ability to deconstruct
the map layout in game play by eliminating the features in any number of ways and replacing them
with defenses.

- If your 1-tile wide cardinal point ridge dividers (funnels) were instead 3 tiles wide you could land
Troop transports on the high ground and deploy Borgs adding a third dimension of game play.
Right now you can land the TT on the high ground but when you deploy your borgs they are placed
2 tiles left and right of the divide at sea level.

-- Regards, whipper :)
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand