Stratagies?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
commondragon
Trained
Trained

Stratagies?

Post by commondragon »

What are your in-game stratagies? Do you rush? If so how many units do you get? How important is the early reaserch of hardcrete to you? Do you start by securing your area or securing a lot of oil? Do you try to get early VTOLs? How effective are your tactics?

We wanna know!
WE ARE IDEA! WE ARE UR FUEL! DONT.....FORGET US! (bad song I know ^^)
Disco_Inferno
Greenhorn

Re: Stratagies?

Post by Disco_Inferno »

Is this in singleplayer or multiplayer?
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

We should also add tactics information to the wiki. I already copied some information from the documents project to the wiki (with permission). For example http://wz2100.net/wiki/tank_production_and_fighting.
I had to use the text the way it was and I added 'original work done by...' on the bottom of every page.

But since a wiki is meant to be editable by all users to be a very actual and complete reference, we should try to make it that way, and contribute to the text. I'll ask around how to make this right with the permissions. There is still a lot of work to be done  ;D

So if you come up with some good strategies in this topic, you could add them to the wiki later! It would be cool to have some screenshots illustrating the matter, for example 'base defense strategy' illustrated with a screen shot of your heavy cannons and lancers  ::)
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Disco_Inferno wrote: Is this in singleplayer or multiplayer?
Indeed, as this makes all the difference in the world ;p

I can tell you what I normally do vs CPU opponents, but 1/2 of the strats wouldn't do jack didly against a human player.

That said, I'll go with my Skirmish stuff:

Hardcrete:  I rush it (both hardcrete and improved HC 1-3).  That way, instead of MG guard towers, my first defense structure is MG bunkers, which (after 3 hardcrete upgrades) can take just about any T1 weapon constantly without significant damage.

I tend not to rush.  I get myself just enough vechilces (combined with my MG bunkers) to hold off early rushes, other than that, I prefer my games end AFTER 5 minutes ;p.

Oil or base defense securing is heavily dependant on the map.  Sandcastles, for example, is a great one to secure oil on, whereas SK-rush, the best defense is a good offense.

I don't go for early vtols.  Even against AA-deficient CPU opponents, artillery is more useful for anti-base warfare, and a couple hurricane tanks (a ratio of about 1 per 3 attacking vtols) will stop any *early* anti-tank vtol assault.

How effective are my tactics?  Well, the CPU doesn't have a very good win% against me ;p.

Single player, none of it matters, as you can flesh-out all research and base defenses by simply sitting on the timer until the 5 minute mark.

Some tactics I use against a CPU that won't work vs humans:

I like to surround each oil derrick with 4 mg bunkers (1 each side).  the CPU will always tagrget either the closest structure OR the one firing back, so as long as the derrick doesn't fit either of those descritpions, its totally safe.

I like to find all of the 2-4 space wide bottlenecks into my base and place a wall of mg bunkers straight across them; I don't even have to actually pay to finish the bunkers, just placing the foundations prevents tanks from passing through, and the AI pathing causes them not to go near my *MGWalls*.  I always leave 1 opening to my base as a funnel for enemy movmenets to blow em all up though.

The AI likes their HMG-cobra-hover a bit too much... I like making a few light cannon tanks (OMG LAME LC'S) to focus fire each time one shows up, decimating it... Once I have MC's (or if this is a 5-research facility game) HC's, I recycle the LC tanks so that my new HC ones have 2-3 levels of EXP.  With the HP a LC-viper-Treads has, they usually don't die to the aforementioned tank or it's army of wheeled-viper support vehicles.

I use a special VTOL design I call a "stupid VTOL", but I'm not going into details in case I ever play any of you guys online ;p.

I really love to push artillery without a sensor tank backup... I push a small direct-fire force into enemy defenses, and as they are taking fire, have a 5-7 truck forces build a 5X5 wall with only 1 side open (mostly wall sections, but hardpoints at the corners), and then place a hardened sensor tower in the middle of it to attach my indirects too.  Only takes about 30 seconds for it to be finished... Since I tend to rush hardcrete early, this sensor tower takes a year and a half to go down, so the artillery doesn't have to worry about losing its spotter.

In huge maps, I like "claiming" large, open, derrick-free areas to simply use as VTOL / artillery staging areas.  Fallen opponents original bases are good choices for this (see my previous statement on MG-walling to figure how I secure them).  The Pit is a great map for this type of strategy.

I like putting artillery emplacements flush against mountain ridges, on the other side of said ridge from an enemy base.  Whether a bug or not I don't know, but it seems my artillery can hit their base from there, but counter-battery fire hits the mountain instead.
warzone666
Trained
Trained

Post by warzone666 »

A little late to reply...but watever eh? a good topic is an replied topic! :D

I really like this strategy because it works with everything:Build an regiment of strong units composed entirely (or somenthig close to) pyton bodies with track and a mix of heavy cannons and assault guns w/ some light (quick) vtols or LOTS of machinegun cyborgs (the cyborgs get shot instead of heavy tanks OR they soft up enemy defenses)

This works well because the tanks (although slow) can resist ALOT and are very powerfull, so together they can wipe out most bases

Also this is great when you get a hero! because this is a rare unit and its generally targeted first

my dad used this tactic all the time...and finished the game in 7 days!

also...if you dont have that tech yet..you can alaways regulate to your level of technology (track=half track/pyton=medium body/heavy cannon=mid cannon)

well...i hope that helps! its alaways good to revive old topics so people dont double post (like me! :P)
RBL-4NiK8r
Trained
Trained

Post by RBL-4NiK8r »

Blah 7 days thats going to make me want to see if I can still beat that by 5 days  >:(

Thru out your first Camp. lots of HMG's or Twins, and a few Mortars for them off the main map missions, then Lancers once you get to the BIG ONE where you get Hovercraft get that ASAP, and build Skorpion Lancers in 5 plants, and bring them over, while you use trucks to work on Defense, with a few HC/Lancer Pythons as back up. Once you get about 40-50+ Skorpion Lancers over work on taking out the landing pad up to the north east, and run them around the back a few times. Oh it helps to bring a few repair Hovers over to 10 should do for the most part. Really the key to the Single Player game is in all about building your Base Defense for the up comming missions. If you are given 2 hours to get a base together dont finish the mission in 20 mins even if you can, build up oil, and hardpoints, and then work on tanks to use for attacking. For the most part only the missions away from your main base really matter on what you take because of the time limit on some of them.

As for multiplayer give up now, for I have returned and forgot more ways to kill people then most people could ever learn.

4nE
I've created "something that kills people." And in that purpose, I was a success. I've done this because, philosophically, I'm sympathetic to your aim. I can tell you, with no ego, this is my finest sword. If, on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut.......Hattori Hanzo
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

;D  yep your back!!! 
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.