Looking for a BETA build?

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Looking for a BETA build?

Post by Buginator »

?topic=1664.0

Thanks to Giel for setting this up, now, people have no excuse for not having the latest & greatest.  :)

When you post about issues you find in those builds, don't forget to mention which revision it is, and only use this section of the forum.

Thanks!
and it ends here.
lowededwookie
Trained
Trained

Re: Looking for a BETA build?

Post by lowededwookie »

I have an excuse for not doing so... I use Mac.  :P

Oh yeah, and others have Linux.

Has anyone got the builds working on Macs yet?
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

lowededwookie wrote: I have an excuse for not doing so... I use Mac.  :P

Oh yeah, and others have Linux.

Has anyone got the builds working on Macs yet?
Most Linux distributions provide beta builds of Warzone (namely Debian). It is also near trivial to compile the game under Linux.

Regards, Freddie.
lowededwookie
Trained
Trained

Post by lowededwookie »

I was making a jest based on Buginator making this quote:
now, people have no excuse for not having the latest & greatest.
All the while pointing us to a post that links to nothing but Windows builds.  ;)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

lowededwookie wrote: I was making a jest based on Buginator making this quote:

All the while pointing us to a post that links to nothing but Windows builds.  ;)
Heh, I forgot to state the obvious for the linux guys.  :P

For macs, I am not sure how much work it would be to have nightly builds available.
I wonder if it is possible to create a mingw environment to produce mac builds with?
and it ends here.
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

Buginator wrote: Heh, I forgot to state the obvious for the linux guys.  :P
Meh....

We Linux guys like compiling our own builds. its so much more fun.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Verminus wrote: Meh....

We Linux guys like compiling our own builds. its so much more fun.

Linux?  Compile your own stuff?
What are you, one of those gentoo freaks?  :D
*ducks*
and it ends here.
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

Buginator wrote: Linux?  Compile your own stuff?
What are you, one of those gentoo freaks?  :D
*ducks*
Naa. At the moment I use Ubuntu, but if I get bored enough I may decide to build my own GNU/Linux system from scratch......

Oh and what the problem with mac compiling any way? Does it just not work or what? I thought you could get the GNU Compile tools for mac OS X from apple (part of Xcode or something), a quick Google found this on the apple developer site :The GNU Compiler Collection on Mac OS X so assuming that they work it should be just a case of taking care of the dependancies, which if you have a working compiler should be pretty straight forward.(may not be easy or quick)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Verminus wrote: Naa. At the moment I use Ubuntu, but if I get bored enough I may decide to build my own GNU/Linux system from scratch......

Oh and what the problem with mac compiling any way? Does it just not work or what? I thought you could get the GNU Compile tools for mac OS X from apple (part of Xcode or something), a quick Google found this on the apple developer site :The GNU Compiler Collection on Mac OS X so assuming that they work it should be just a case of taking care of the dependancies, which if you have a working compiler should be pretty straight forward.(may not be easy or quick)
I am not 100% sure, but I think the only way you can build it is with xcode?
and it ends here.
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

I have no idea. All I know about macs is what I read on the net. The page I liked to in my previous post is actually from Apple's Developer Connection site, aka ADC (developer.apple.com). To quote the opening paragraph :
This article provides an overview of the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC) from the Free Software Foundation and its use on Mac OS X. GCC is a free software project that has been used for many years to create software for UNIX and other platforms. Apple's developer tool Xcode (and previously, Project Builder) uses GCC under the hood for building executable images from source code. The GNU Debugger (GDB), a companion to GCC, comprises the foundation of the Xcode debugger.
It then goes on to discuss and give examples of the usage of the Compiler, Makefiles and Debugger, even going so far as to give commandline examples calling gcc, make, and gdb directly. quoting from the "For More Information" section at the end of the page:
# The GCC and GDB manuals. When you install Xcode, you will also find these on your local drive at: /Developer/Documentaton/DeveloperTools/
# In Terminal, see the man pages for the gcc, gdb, and make commands.
# See the Compiler documentation under Tools Documentation; also, this documentation is installed with Xcode, and is found at: /Developer/Documentaton/DeveloperTools/
It would seem that the GNU Compile tool form part of, or are at least included with, the Xcode package.

It would be nice if one of the supposed Mac users (such as lowededwookie, who posted in this thread asking if mac compile was still broken) could tell us if it actually IS still broken and how THEY compile (or at least attempt to) Warzone2100.

As for cross-compiling, well i don't know if it can be done or not, a quick Google search for "How to cross-compile for Mac" isn't very encouraging, most results link to forums where someone has asked the very same thing, and the answer is usually the not very helpful "Give your source code to someone with a mac". Although some do vaguely elude to gcc being capable of cross-compiling.

I might be persuaded to give it ago, providing a willing tester with a mac comes forward, and some means of getting the compiled result to them turns up.
Oh and I figure out how to cross-compile properly in the first-place, and link the libraries properly, oh and err... nevermind, maybe I should just hold the rather tempting backspace key and start again?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Verminus wrote: Oh and I figure out how to cross-compile properly in the first-place, and link the libraries properly, oh and err... nevermind, maybe I should just hold the rather tempting backspace key and start again?
Cross-compiling is a very strange animal.

AFAIK, only Devurandom has been able to make all the required libs needed for this project.  I gave it a shot, and while I could get some stuff to compile OK, the libs that warzone uses just don't want to work.  I even used his build scripts, and it still failed.

He is using gentoo, I tried with debian & ubuntu.  I am not versed enough to know what the issue is.
and it ends here.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

As of a few hours ago the nightly builds are working once again and can be found here: http://warzone.mortis.eu/nightly-builds/

Kudos goes to Giel for getting them working again!

Regards, Freddie.
shishkebab
Trained
Trained

Post by shishkebab »

Buginator wrote: I am not 100% sure, but I think the only way you can build it is with xcode?
You can use xcodebuild in terminal too. (Which, I guess, is pretty much the same.)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

shishkebab wrote: You can use xcodebuild in terminal too. (Which, I guess, is pretty much the same.)
Maybe Apple can hook up the dev team with some macs, then we wouldn't be in this bind.  :-\
and it ends here.