Most stable version to play campaign?

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
Prot
Trained
Trained

Most stable version to play campaign?

Post by Prot »

wz2100 - is my first 3D strategy in my life, first I saw the game on PlayStation from a friend. It was WOW effect O_o , but i never finish the campaign :roll:
Now the question, what version is most stable to play campaign? Last 3.2+ is most bugs, in 3.1.5 I heard there is problem with templates and savegames.
Advise version in which i can sit down without much worry and go through the whole company?
Lord_Kane
Trained
Trained

Re: Most stable version to play campaign?

Post by Lord_Kane »

Prot wrote:wz2100 - is my first 3D strategy in my life, first I saw the game on PlayStation from a friend. It was WOW effect O_o , but i never finish the campaign :roll:
Now the question, what version is most stable to play campaign? Last 3.2+ is most bugs, in 3.1.5 I heard there is problem with templates and savegames.
Advise version in which i can sit down without much worry and go through the whole company?
Personally I think the older 2.3.8 and 2.3.9 releases are pretty good for doing so, but you get none of the benefits of the 3.1.X/3.2.X releases.

you can workaround the template bug somewhat in 3.1.5 if you tear down and then rebuild your HQ but it does not work on non base building away missions.
Guardsman Brendo
Trained
Trained

Post by Guardsman Brendo »

I'm doing a 2.3.9 game, and, honestly, the more basic ground tiles help out. With new graphics, it can be hard to tell which tiles have a steep slope. The old graphics make an easier to understand grid to me. The only reason I would start a brand new game in 3.x is if they added hardcrete gate to campaign tech, which it is not.
--As of the above time, this was the last transmission received.
matthewfarmery
Trained
Trained

Post by matthewfarmery »

Haven't been around much, but I still play the game from time to time. I recently tried to do a 3.1.5 game, and in all honesty I really didn't like it much, pathing been one issue, units not retreating on medium damage been another, and seems that the balance is a bit off, mainly with mulit rockets, they seem to do a lot of damage to units.

so I installed the 2.3.9 version to have another go, pathing while still not great, at least the units retreat if damaged enough, and balance seems a bit better. I feel that every step of the way, I was fighting with the AI in the 3.1.5 version to keep my units alive. (which meant it was taking me longer to do the missions.

Not touched the latest version, but judging from the posts, I probably wait until things get fixed, (fingers crossed)

overall, while the 3.X versions might have some nice improvements, campaign wise, I think I'm going to stick with 2.3.9 for the time being.
nighthawk71
New user

Post by nighthawk71 »

matthewfarmery wrote:Haven't been around much, but I still play the game from time to time. I recently tried to do a 3.1.5 game, and in all honesty I really didn't like it much, pathing been one issue, units not retreating on medium damage been another, and seems that the balance is a bit off, mainly with mulit rockets, they seem to do a lot of damage to units.
I know that feeling. 3.1.5 also has the dreaded template bug where units suddenly stop appearing when a factory is selected, despite the fact that the template is visible in the Design menu. I couldn't stand 3.2.2 cause I was getting random frame-rate drops for no reason.

2.3.9 has been my go-to for campaign mode, even though I'm getting used to its quirks (formation mechanics seem to cause units to get stuck on level geometry until there's a clear path for them to move). It might just be my computer, but I've been running into graphical issues on 2.3.9 as well, like water on levels featuring them disappear and reappear after a second, parts of the screen not refreshing correctly during camera movement, part of the UI disappearing (mainly just background objects), and parts of the menu text flickering on the main menu.
matthewfarmery
Trained
Trained

Post by matthewfarmery »

Yeah, I'm aware of the template bug, I think I reported in ther bug tracker a few times myself. But I think the AI and pathing issues with your units makes the game far more annoying, At least there is a workaround for the template bug, (destroy the command centre and rebuild it. sadly there is no workaround for the other issues.

3.1.5 seems nice and all, but not for the campaign, and not when the units are attached to a commander, they seem pretty brain dead then.
Last edited by matthewfarmery on 13 Apr 2017, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
nighthawk71
New user

Post by nighthawk71 »

matthewfarmery wrote:Yeah, I'm aware of the template bug, I think I reported in ther bug tracker a few times myself. But I think the AI and pathing issues with your units makes the game far more annoying, At least there is a workaround for the template bug, (destroy the command centre and rebuild it. sadly there is no workaround for the other issues.
Sadly you can't destroy the Command Center during an away mission, which is when I ran into the Template bug. Unless rebuilding the Command Center works before sending the units out.
Cpablo
Greenhorn

Post by Cpablo »

Where i can download old versions?
matthewfarmery
Trained
Trained

Post by matthewfarmery »

https://sourceforge.net/projects/warzon ... 2.3/2.3.9/

download the right file for your OS.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

I recommend 1.10
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
matthewfarmery
Trained
Trained

Post by matthewfarmery »

Terminator wrote:I recommend 1.10
While I do have the disks, its impossible to install the game from them, plus there is no 1.10 download. I fail to see the point of that, when its hard to get? and there is no 1.10 download link in the archives.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

matthewfarmery wrote: Terminator wrote:
I recommend 1.10

While I do have the disks, its impossible to install the game from them, plus there is no 1.10 download. I fail to see the point of that, when its hard to get? and there is no 1.10 download link in the archives.
I suspect he was joking matt
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Berg wrote: I suspect he was joking matt
Me? nope. I really think its better beat singleplayer story on original. (the only version of wz that dont have any issues in single)
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Terminator wrote:I recommend 1.10
It is true that using 1.10 has the best playing experience (& the least amount of bugs) from any version, that is also one of the most annoying versions to play on, since lots of the "niceties" that were added later on are not present.

At this time, we can't distribute 1.10 for a variety of reasons. Yes, we know it is out there, but, for now, we won't be supplying this version for download any time soon.
(Someone would have to compile the original source again, on the correct edition of MSVC, and distribute that, since the original version has copy protection on it.)
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Guardsman Brendo
Trained
Trained

Post by Guardsman Brendo »

I got the old 2.3.9 and i think it comes with a "1.10 Balance EXE"
--As of the above time, this was the last transmission received.