Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained
Posts: 321
Joined: 31 Jan 2014, 07:06

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by MIH-XTC » 10 Feb 2018, 18:12

So I'm playing around with adjusting model heights in notepad to make some things taller but some of the resizing on the build menu doesn't work. The towers are overlapping on the build menu. Not too big of a deal, just cosmetic but wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

Image


Also I just made a Mech cyborg factory by simply doubling the cyborg factory polygon values (see screenshot). I was surprised when it came out 2x4 instead of 2x2 lol. Would be cool if we could add another structure/droid types into the source to distinguish between cyborg factory and mech cyborg factory so that only mech cyborgs can be built in the proper factory.

Download link https://github.com/jbreija/Warzone2100E ... /EB-Mod.wz

User avatar
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor
Posts: 795
Joined: 26 Sep 2016, 19:56

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by Berserk Cyborg » 12 Feb 2018, 07:12

MIH-XTC wrote:So I'm playing around with adjusting model heights in notepad to make some things taller but some of the resizing on the build menu doesn't work. The towers are overlapping on the build menu. Not too big of a deal, just cosmetic but wondering if anyone knew anything about it.
Probably around in here.

I got a warning in the terminal with "R-Defense-SuperRamjetMortar":

Code: Select all

Invalid item 'R-Wpn-Mortar02Hvy-Ram' in list of pre-requisites of research 'Super Ramjet Mortar'

MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained
Posts: 321
Joined: 31 Jan 2014, 07:06

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by MIH-XTC » 12 Feb 2018, 15:19

Berserk Cyborg wrote:
MIH-XTC wrote:So I'm playing around with adjusting model heights in notepad to make some things taller but some of the resizing on the build menu doesn't work. The towers are overlapping on the build menu. Not too big of a deal, just cosmetic but wondering if anyone knew anything about it.
Probably around in here.

I got a warning in the terminal with "R-Defense-SuperRamjetMortar":

Code: Select all

Invalid item 'R-Wpn-Mortar02Hvy-Ram' in list of pre-requisites of research 'Super Ramjet Mortar'
Ah okay thanks. I'll study it when I have a chance.

I enabled the AR fortresses and added them into the tech tree last night, that's why you're getting that error. I must have screwed up one of the dependencies. I'll get it tonight or next weekend.

I''ll probably be done with this mod next weekend and then it'll just be bug testing.

Still need to
- add the AR hardpoints (determine which turrets to use, create the structures, add them into tech tree)
- create the new research messages, dreading this. Took like 6 hours last time and that was before the AR models :augh:
- make sure late game balance is not out of whack.
- adjust some of the AR sound effects/projectile graphics.
etc...

MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained
Posts: 321
Joined: 31 Jan 2014, 07:06

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by MIH-XTC » 06 Jul 2019, 21:30

I just updated this mod to be compatible with 3.3.

It's available here https://github.com/jbreija/Warzone2100E ... /EB-Mod.wz (it's 46 Mb)


I'm still debugging compatibility issues but it's at least playable now whereas beforehand it wasn't compatible with 3.3 at all.

It's for multiplayer and skirmish only, no campaign.

I test on Windows with an Ubuntu VM and use both portable and installer versions. Interestingly, each combination has different results. For example, Javascript bots with 8+ players seem to always crash after about 2-10 minutes in Windows only. They complain about not being able to find a function in QtScripts5.dll but this does not happen in Ubuntu.

This mod doesn't work with the portable version in Windows yet, it just crashes right away before anything is even logged. Not sure why that is.


EDIT: I think I just noticed the common factor amongst all of my crashes. For the first time I happen to log an out of memory OpenGL error and then I noticed the game crashes every time the overall memory consumption hits 1Gb +/- ~50 Mb's or so. This is in Windows only....

pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Posts: 208
Joined: 13 Aug 2017, 17:44

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by pastdue » 07 Jul 2019, 01:22

Can you provide crash logs / .RPT files?

At the moment, Windows builds are 32-bit only (and your Ubuntu build is likely 64-bit).

64-bit builds for Windows are currently broken because 64-bit QtScript has breaking behavior differences / bugs. Whenever we get around to replacing QtScript, we should then be able to provide 64-bit Windows builds.

User avatar
WZ2100ModsFAn
Trained
Trained
Posts: 350
Joined: 15 Apr 2018, 17:25
Location: United States.

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by WZ2100ModsFAn » 07 Jul 2019, 01:33

pastdue wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 01:22
Can you provide crash logs / .RPT files?

At the moment, Windows builds are 32-bit only (and your Ubuntu build is likely 64-bit).

64-bit builds for Windows are currently broken because 64-bit QtScript has breaking behavior differences / bugs. Whenever we get around to replacing QtScript, we should then be able to provide 64-bit Windows builds.
What is QtScript? The modern engine for WZ?
Also to question if you guys get the qtscript deprecated error on windows builds.
I use Ubuntu GamePack By UALinux for gaming. Best Ubuntu Distro for Warzone :D

MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained
Posts: 321
Joined: 31 Jan 2014, 07:06

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by MIH-XTC » 07 Jul 2019, 01:52

pastdue wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 01:22
Can you provide crash logs / .RPT files?

At the moment, Windows builds are 32-bit only (and your Ubuntu build is likely 64-bit).

64-bit builds for Windows are currently broken because 64-bit QtScript has breaking behavior differences / bugs. Whenever we get around to replacing QtScript, we should then be able to provide 64-bit Windows builds.
Warzone2100.RPT is attached but it contains a lot of irrelevant entries. The last entry at the bottom is a good example.

I keep getting an error "Qt5Script.dll: (function-name not available)" but I now realize it's because I'm running out of memory and then of course some Qt function is not going to be available. I have 16GB system memory and GTX 1070 with 8GB memory so it's not my hardware.

I've confirmed it's Windows only that WZ crashes at 1GB memory consumption. I got an Ubuntu game up to 2.5GB no problems.

But I don't know if this is my environment only or if it's for everyone. Can anyone get a Windows game to consume more than 1GB memory?

On a side note, my mod has been throwing this harmless error starting about 2.5 - 3 years ago. I think it might be because I'm using the mods/autoload folder.
info |07:32:39: [openLoadFile:149] file mods/autoload\EB-Mod.wz could not be opened: filename is illegal or insecure
info |07:32:39: [openLoadFile:149] Assert in Warzone: c:\projects\warzone2100\lib\framework\frame.cpp:149 (!"unable to open file"), last script event: '<none>'
It says it can't be opened even though it opens fine. (In case you're wondering why this message is every where in my .rpt file)
Attachments
Warzone2100.RPT
(751.21 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained
Posts: 321
Joined: 31 Jan 2014, 07:06

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by MIH-XTC » 07 Jul 2019, 02:09

Also,

Anyone want to take a guess on why Nexus.slo and .vlo would load fine in Ubuntu but crash when launching a skirmish in Windows? The Nexus in the mod loads fine in Ubuntu but crashes in Windows. The crash is abrupt and nothing is logged at all.

User avatar
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor
Posts: 795
Joined: 26 Sep 2016, 19:56

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by Berserk Cyborg » 07 Jul 2019, 03:25

I can reproduce these crashes only on 3.3 beta1. Your mod works with master though... try https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... ent-builds and see if it still crashes for you.

MIH-XTC wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 01:52
On a side note, my mod has been throwing this harmless error starting about 2.5 - 3 years ago. I think it might be because I'm using the mods/autoload folder.

It says it can't be opened even though it opens fine. (In case you're wondering why this message is every where in my .rpt file)
It includes a forward slash in the mod path, mods/autoload\EB-Mod.wz, which may be the reason.

MIH-XTC wrote: Anyone want to take a guess on why Nexus.slo and .vlo would load fine in Ubuntu but crash when launching a skirmish in Windows? The Nexus in the mod loads fine in Ubuntu but crashes in Windows. The crash is abrupt and nothing is logged at all.
Again, crashes in 3.3 beta1 only. I, however, am able to get a stack trace. The first report is when I use only Nexus and the second is when I use only NullBot.

Warzone2100.RPT
(50.96 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained
Posts: 321
Joined: 31 Jan 2014, 07:06

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by MIH-XTC » 07 Jul 2019, 05:04

Berserk Cyborg wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 03:25
I can reproduce these crashes only on 3.3 beta1. Your mod works with master though... try https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... ent-builds and see if it still crashes for you.

MIH-XTC wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 01:52
On a side note, my mod has been throwing this harmless error starting about 2.5 - 3 years ago. I think it might be because I'm using the mods/autoload folder.

It says it can't be opened even though it opens fine. (In case you're wondering why this message is every where in my .rpt file)
It includes a forward slash in the mod path, mods/autoload\EB-Mod.wz, which may be the reason.

MIH-XTC wrote: Anyone want to take a guess on why Nexus.slo and .vlo would load fine in Ubuntu but crash when launching a skirmish in Windows? The Nexus in the mod loads fine in Ubuntu but crashes in Windows. The crash is abrupt and nothing is logged at all.
Again, crashes in 3.3 beta1 only. I, however, am able to get a stack trace. The first report is when I use only Nexus and the second is when I use only NullBot.


Warzone2100.RPT
I get the same results with master and 3.3 beta1, they both crash in Windows using Nexus while loading a skirmish game and both versions crash in Windows when using more than 1GB memory.

Is this just my environment?

I know the problem with Nexus is something like using an event or function before it's declared or initiliased. Just not sure which or where. In Ubuntu it doesn't seem to care but the Windows interpretation of Wzscript seems to enforce certain constraints and are fatal errors. Would you happen to know why Wzscript would act differently in Ubuntu than in Windows?

EDIT: Should clarify the Windows crash at 1GB isn't exactly at 1GB. Memory overflow occurs at 1GB and then the game will crash some 5-60 seconds later when the overwritten data is referenced.
Attachments
Warzone2100.RPT
(43.55 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Posts: 208
Joined: 13 Aug 2017, 17:44

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by pastdue » 08 Jul 2019, 02:08

Does the memory usage balloon like that without the mod?

If not, is there any chance you can narrow it down to a specific part of the mod that seems to impact the memory usage most significantly?

MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained
Posts: 321
Joined: 31 Jan 2014, 07:06

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by MIH-XTC » 08 Jul 2019, 03:51

pastdue wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 02:08
Does the memory usage balloon like that without the mod?

If not, is there any chance you can narrow it down to a specific part of the mod that seems to impact the memory usage most significantly?
The mod roughly doubles the memory usage of WZ. It’s because of the images in the texpages folder. They’re the same ones found in the Art Revolution mod

Without the mod, a large 5v5 skirmish with 40 oils and full bases uses ~600Mb after a few minutes in Windows 10.

The debug menu (cheat on, ctrl+o) also consumes an additional 200 MB. Closing and reopening the menu is somewhat cumulative so this is an easy way to consume memory for testing limits.

Therefore, WZ normally consumes about 800 MB max memory under typical conditions in Windows 10. It’s unlikely WZ would ever normally consume more than 1GB but it’s worth noting the limit and that large multiplayer games can peak around 800Mb in Windows 10.

From what I’ve observed, overflow occurs at 1Gb in Windows 10. The game is still playable using 1.1 or 1.2Gb but crashing is inevitable and immediate after 1.3Gb. This could just be my environment but I’m guessing it’s WZ.

I realize a fix would require migrating the scripting engine off Qt to get a 64 bit windows build which is not any time soon. I can still work on the mod in the meantime.

User avatar
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor
Posts: 795
Joined: 26 Sep 2016, 19:56

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by Berserk Cyborg » 08 Jul 2019, 03:59

pastdue wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 02:08
Does the memory usage balloon like that without the mod?
I tested master, with no mods, on the map Emergence (10p) with advanced bases and with it hovers around 600 MB. Then Grows up to ~850 MB when opening the debug menu. I was able to get the same kind of crash log MIH-XTC gets by repeatedly attaching an AI to the player which will crash Warzone right around 1 GB of memory consumption on Windows 10 (which is a bug itself). 1.2 GB was the highest I got before it crashed. Always has a memset() call as the last thing done (or sometimes the stack trace is completely missing).

On Ubuntu-mate I went up to 2.3 GB using this trick and there wasn't any crashes... just more lag.

Edit: Ninja'd :ninja:

MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained
Posts: 321
Joined: 31 Jan 2014, 07:06

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by MIH-XTC » 17 Jul 2019, 22:35

I see some people have forked or branched the repo

https://github.com/jbreija/Warzone2100EB

I'm not that familiar with Git and maintaining Git repos is a hassle. If I don't respond to pull requests or forks, it's because I don't know how or don't want to be bothered with it. I just fixed two significant bugs with the reticule display and truck templates not being available so please re-clone the most recent. I really want to stop maintaining this mod and hand it off to devs. It's stable and no errors with 3.3 so I will not change anything more now. Feel free to delete Nexus and Nullbot related files. I can answer any questions about stats or stats editor. I think the stats editor is self-documenting so I'd rather not remake documentation. You have to have Excel though.

To the developers: there's 2 harmless errors that might occur in the logs. The engine and truck upgrades now make the trucks significantly build faster and move faster. Sometimes those upgrades cause errors in the existing droid orders when research is completed but it doesn't impact game play in any way. The errors look like this:
Spoiler:

MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained
Posts: 321
Joined: 31 Jan 2014, 07:06

Re: Enhanced Balance Mod for 3.x

Post by MIH-XTC » 20 Jul 2019, 14:40

I just imported this mod into campaign. There might be a little bit of cleanup needed but at least it works. I basically merged mp stats and models with base so everything is in base now.

It won't be enjoyable until reviewing and tweaking things but it's a clean slate to start working with.

https://github.com/jbreija/Warzone2100E ... r/campaign

Post Reply