One for All and All for One! (players)

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

One for All and All for One! (players)

Post by Merowingg »

Hello Gentlemen :)

Not so long ago I had accidental talk with my uncle and aunt about computer games. The discussion ended almost in quarrel and if not my granny I was redy to fight ;)

According to them all games, seriously all games.. are very bad. In short, they teach how to kill, most of them is about killing. They make people at any age stupid, take time, ane of best arguments.. even are designed to make people join Satanistic Groupa of particular kind. Are worse than TV because a playwr plays the killer so it is different than seeing guts flying in the air on TV. There is nothing you can learn from a game.

I am surprised as they do not live in a jungle but in Chicago.. and have some knowledge about let me call it, technical environmet. It is extremely small bt still.

What I would like you to do is to sent me any materials you know of existence about computer games. We are not stupid so if it shows drawbacks then sent it please too. As we know there are drawbacks, I managed to say it ;)

Please post links here (is it allowed?) or please PM me. It can be materials of any kind, about how the games influence us.
Can be scientific too.

They were so blind in believing in what they were saying that somehow it made me furious. The best thing is that they could not give any examples. They have 13 years daughter who has never played a game :) or at least not at home, as it would bring evil :P

Please do help.

Regards,

Mero
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Re: One for All and All for One! (players)

Post by cybersphinx »

We want information... information... information.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

They are right. Not sure about satanistic groups, or the "worse than tv" thing, but mostly right (:
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Hey Mero, these might help.... but only if your relatives can keep an open mind and are not thoroughly entrenched in their selective exposure. If not, well no counter argument, however rigorous, will alter their position.

First - check out Doctor Jane McGonigal's TED talk vid of 2010: Gaming can make a better world...(2,688,100 Views):

(She's one of my favorite leading-edge game designers who inspired me to change my active gaming focus a couple years ago and introduced me to whole new gamer community that's been a thoroughly rewarding haven.)

http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal ... world.html

Her recent book is worth a read for sure:

Reality Is Broken: Why Games Make Us Better and How They Can Change the World

http://www.amazon.com/Reality-Is-Broken ... pd_sim_b_6

Directly connected to Jane's work -

Game Frame: Using Games as a Strategy for Success by Aaron Dignan:

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Frame-Using- ... d_sim_b_11

And this classic text on the subject from 2003 which is a cogent refutation of the conventional arguments against game violence -

Killing Monsters: Why Children Need Fantasy, Super Heroes, and Make-Believe Violence by Gerard Jones & Lynn Ponton:

http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Monsters- ... pd_sim_b_5

And this more recent study from 2011 which demonstrates with rigor some of the untruths which such positions as your relatives are based on:

Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth About Violent Video Games and.. by Lawrence Kutner & Cheryl Olson:

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Child ... d_sim_b_27

Related to this is the early 20th century misguided censorship of traditional fairytales which is covered in great depth in -

The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales by Dr. Bruno Bettelheim:

http://www.amazon.com/Uses-Enchantment- ... 218&sr=1-1

BTW - Chicago has a long and bloody history of violence on the streets (all the way back to the original gangsters of Prohibition) and this summer experienced a disturbing spike in homicides:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/2 ... 07174.html

There you have it - into the anti-diological gravity well, if the common pattern holds up. ;)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Thank you gentlemen for your help.

I will compile it in one nice message. But please do not hesitate to add anything, I will wait for some time, and in their case the more the better.

NoQ I am not sure if you are sarcastic or what ;) but you speak as they do now :3

I would also like to thank Aubergine for his PM message.

I was also asked if I know that they have right for their opinion. Of course I do, I am not going to say they are wrong or anything for all cost. What made me angry then was that they were saying those things so blindly, and when asked for any supporting information. They said it is that, everybothy knows it. I saw they were saying about things they did not even know anything about. Someone said something somewhere and let's follo him. Games are evil! I also felt treate like yes yes, you are wrong.

I am not going to say games are the best thing in the word (damn I have so evolved? :hmm: ) I am just going to enlighten them a little, and then they can burn all the games in ceremonial glory :3

Rman any discounts ever on those books? ;) I liked the one about kids needing superheroes quite very much.

Gentlemen please in the name of our computer games word! (here I wave a sword in the air made of boxes of computer games) Please sent any data you have came across, as we maybe will teach some players via this post here too. Games does not have to be limited only to the platform they are used of (how politically correct of me ;)) they affect many areas of real life. I was almost beginning to write my master's degree about computer games translation! but it turned out I will be extremely limited to have access to the data.. ant there is fery few boox about it, so I would be in a even bigger trouble as they need by university law certain amount of resources used.

Please help!

Regards,

Mero
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

The salient insight is that along with the need for heroes, monsters and such confrontations with the "dark side", play an equally important role. :3

Never have to pay full price for any of those books Mero. You can get 'em used at great discounts. They can be found in most library collections and if not make a request that the library purchase for the collection - they will accommodate the request more often than not. :)

Have an excellent source of demographic statistics directly related to video games and violent crime. Check it out here:

http://videogames.procon.org/view.resou ... thViolence

The Wikipedia article on "Video Game Controversies" does a good job of aggregating many of the studies done over the last decade:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_controversies

A fair, balanced, overview from The Harvard Medical School:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newslette ... ung-people

Same for the "How Stuff Works" article "Do Violent Video Games Lead To Real Violence ?":

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/vi ... olence.htm

And lastly -

"Do violent video games contribute to youth violence ?" Pro & Con Quotes:

http://videogames.procon.org/view.answe ... ionID=1608

The full spectrum of responsible debate is covered with these links, i think.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Thank you very much Rman :)

I slowly prepare final gaming strike, so one will find it hard to recover ;)

But I would be obliged if still anyone add something more here :3

I still learn new things from the links.

Regards - Mero
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Merowingg wrote:Thank you very much Rman :)

I slowly prepare final gaming strike, so one will find it hard to recover ;)

But I would be obliged if still anyone add something more here :3

I still learn new things from the links.
Your welcome, Mero. :)

====>

Because of the recent slaughter of grade school kids at the Stony Hook school here in the US, gun violence and video games are back in the headlines. In fact the Vice President has had meetings the past week with representitives from the vid-comp game industry. Your relatives in the US are probably following these developments closely.

Here's a link about it: Gun violence task force meets game makers

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/11/politics/ ... index.html

Be sure to look at the comments on the article. Some shrewd opinions are expressed well.

===>

Btw... did you look into the Witcher ebooks ?

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Thank you again Rman.

Yes it is the comments there I liked very much too. Although when I will mention it in the striking message, I already know their answer about the peoples voice. Those are computer game players, they will always love them. Of course not reading if there are people for, against, or dont care, or no need to talk about. Anywy I will god preparing the answer :)

The Wither not yet lookad at Sir. But what I was given is L4, and L4 is a job excuse note. (Ihave no idea what is the appropriate word for a piece of paper that tells your employer that you are sick and due to human rights you stay at home and type posts for Warzone) Which is good as now I will have more free time to look at all those necessary things. And at the same time bad, as I will not go to the university this weekend :/ On the other hand I will finally recover. I was told that I have a strong cold, and my organism is exhausted and has no power to recover. I shall stay at home ant that is the best medicine for me. I was given some weak medicine just in case, but here rest and stay at your home. So i will have more time to study Italian, which approaches so fast, that I am already scared.

The preciding paragtaph is mainly aimed at Rman (who knows the story)

So Gentlemen if you hapen to have anything I am really awaitening.

Regards :)

Regards - Mero
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I'm afraid this one won't help your cause Mero. But in all fairness here it be:

The effects of violent video games. Do they affect our behavior?

http://www.ithp.org/articles/violentvideogames.html

The comments are raw here and there. They are also for and against.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

To add my .2 KB, there are times that after playing a game in warzone where I did a lot of battle, I would walk away from the PC feeling like a monster and wondered if I was a decent man. I felt bad for inflicting the same feeling of loss on others that I feel when losing, and rightfully so. It took a long time to put the connection together. In addition, I often pity the AI in 1v1s. Strange, right? I continue to play because I know I didn't really hurt anything, and because of this: http://isaclan.com/rules.html#conduct
That document sets a clear, etched-in-stone way to play. That's why I get angry when people join clans recognized for ruthlessness. I don't believe that violent video games are harmful in themselves. I used to play DOOM and feel great for chunking all them nasties, but in competitive games, this guilt would arise. It has to do with competition I believe. Games such as Grand theft auto, I believe, border on "evil". They give you no righteous cause, allow you to do extremely heinous simulated things, and then switch off your Xbox 360 and walk into the public.

It is important to regularly recognize the difference between violence and simulated violence, and the difference between a "good" violent video game and a "bad" violent game.
Also known as Subsentient.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Can art alter behavior ? As much as politics, religion, philosophy. For good and bad. And all have gone down the road of promoting violence. In the name of righteousness too.

So where is this great divide between violent video games and all the above that have altered behavior down this road throughout recorded history in the cause of the greatest violence - genocide ?

That's the heart of it for me. :hmm:

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Rman you were to help me not sabotage me hehehe ;)

I am kidding of course, I am one of those stupid ;) who enlist advantages and disadvantag. Damn I am too good.

Bendib my friend you are pure evil. Hurting pure AI which sometimes is too stopid to even realise what hit them and why sending its units not in bunches of 135 tiger large cannon tracks does not help them to win human creatures :(

I have just been playing Max Payne 3, do you happen to know if I can make Heckel & Koch rifle from a rotten tomato?

I am happy as even maybe I will have a discussion here :hmm: Rman you won my nobel prize for resources (which does not mean I wouldnt be delighted if you bring on more and more) the second place go to cybersphinx. And rest of the players gets nothing. Do you really only play? no subscribing for games portals (portal great game) where you can find out something? I am not speaking about those who inform - "Tomb Rider 11 is out" only.

Shane on you!

Shame on me I am to study italian :/ Rman linguistic italian help? ;)

Regards - Mero
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I did give a little food for thought in the opposite direction with my last post, Mero. ;)

Here another direction to explore. I believe core to this topic.

The Ethics of Computer Games

Published by MIT a couple years ago, it breaks new ground in a field that didn't even exist formerly a decade ago.

New it costs $36.00 US.... I picked up a copy used like new for $5.00 US. There is also an ebook ver. available.

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/026201 ... ttom_links

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Rman what I am about to tell you is that I can always count on you :)

Regards - Mero