New dedicated interceptor weapons.

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

New dedicated interceptor weapons.

Post by Searge-Major »

This is sort of a continuation of the post I did here, regarding the ideas at the end of the post.

The first one, the Spitfire A2A, would be a quad 7.62 mm machine gun mount, with a range equivalent to mg. This would be best used against light bodies with little armour, like light fighters/strike/bombers. This of course leaves room for two upgrades, a hvy mg version, Thunderbolt A2A (yes, I am pulling the names from WW2 fighters), and a dual assault gun version. (name open)

The cannon variants would be best suited to taking down heavy bodied vtols, having a lower rate of fire but higher damage/shot. Please note that these are not related closely to the cannon line, they are more like slow firing machine-guns with much higher damage; also they are more the equivalent of the 20 or 30 mm cannons that are fitted on fighters. There would be one upgrade, similar to an assault gun, but with a 20 or 30 mm cannon instead, like the ones that are fitted to modern fighters.

The main feature of these weapons that makes them different to the VTOL mg, is their ammo, which lasts much longer. Hope I've made myself clear, I'm willing to elaborate further if anyone has any questions. :)

Note: I did thing about making a mod with these weapons, but I haven't a clue where to begin, even after reading all the helpful material provided in Mapping/Modding.
I fully realise my input is just another drop in the proverbial bucket. It is my goal to make each drop count.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Re: New dedicated interceptor weapons.

Post by Kacen »

I've thought of this before but never got around to posting it; I entirely agree this is a good idea.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

@ Searge-Major: For my mod, I've been thinking about moving the Hurricane and Whirlwind into the Machinegun line since they're both rapid-fire weapons that seem to require the Twin Machinegun for research. As for AA weapons for cannons, there is the Flak Cannon.

If you're interested in modding, you could read and modify many of the files located in .wz files (which can be opened like you'd open a .zip file) as .txt files. I'd recommend using WordPad for this instead of Notepad, since it organizes things neatly, which is good if you're editing a list or script.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

"As for AA weapons for cannons, there is the Flak Cannon."
He doesnt want to make AA weapons, he wants to make Air-to-Air weapons.
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

yes, but if you could mount hurricane / whirlwind / flak cannon on to a VTOL then they become dedicated air-to-air weapons in that sense.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Doesn't Hurrican -> Whirlwind requiring twin machine gun put it in the mg line already?
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Only single afaik (:
Also, this sort of gun wouldn't look well on a VTOL. It's a ground-to-air gun after all, so it's big and heavy ... (?)
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

You need twin for hurricane
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

NoQ wrote:Also, this sort of gun wouldn't look well on a VTOL. It's a ground-to-air gun after all, so it's big and heavy ... (?)
I agree. They would look good if they were mounted like how bombs currently are, under the wings.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

Post by Searge-Major »

JDW wrote:I agree. They would look good if they were mounted like how bombs currently are, under the wings.
I hadn't got around to graphics yet, but I was thinking something similar to the sunburst mount, very low-profile, and with barrels protruding slightly. The bomb idea is good as well though, I'll see what I come up with. :D
Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:@Searge-Major:

If you're interested in modding, you could read and modify many of the files located in .wz files (which can be opened like you'd open a .zip file) as .txt files. I'd recommend using WordPad for this instead of Notepad, since it organizes things neatly, which is good if you're editing a list or script.
Thanks for the info, would Kwrite be alright for editing? I'm currently using two flavours of linux atm.

Regarding graphics, I have blender, and I'll work on some basic models and textures once I've sorted out the text part of things.
I fully realise my input is just another drop in the proverbial bucket. It is my goal to make each drop count.
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

Post by Searge-Major »

aubergine wrote:yes, but if you could mount hurricane / whirlwind / flak cannon on to a VTOL then they become dedicated air-to-air weapons in that sense.
Hurricane/whirlwind/flak cannon are all very heavy, vtol would be useless with them.

Hurricane AA = 30mm quad anti-aircraft machine-gun weight 10000
Whirlwind AA = 30mm quad anti-aircraft machine-gun (both AA have the same description?) weight 10000
Spitfire A2A = 7.62mm dual quad air-to-air machine-gun weight 1250
Thunderbolt A2A = 12.7mm dual quad air-to-air machine-gun weight 1750
(Insert Weapon Name Here) = dual 12.7mm air-to-air rotary machine-gun (basically a couple of assault guns) weight 1500

AA Flak Cannon = Quad 80mm flak weapon (only two cannons are visible) weight 10000
(Insert Weapon Name Here) = dual twin 30mm air-to-air machine-cannon weight 2000
(Insert Weapon Name Here) = 30mm air-to-air rotary machine-cannon weight 2500

For the new weapons, I put approximate values, values that I think would work well with the weapons in game.
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

Post by Searge-Major »

Quick post to throw some possible weapon names for vetting ;)

Devastator (bit cliche)
Shredder (already in use in someone else's mod?)
HailStorm

Feel free to come up with others ;)

Regards, Searge
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Searge-Major wrote:
Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:@Searge-If you're interested in modding, you could read and modify many of the files located in .wz files (which can be opened like you'd open a .zip file) as .txt files. I'd recommend using WordPad for this instead of Notepad, since it organizes things neatly, which is good if you're editing a list or script.
Thanks for the info, would Kwrite be alright for editing? I'm currently using two flavours of linux atm.
For the .txt files, most of them are actually CSV files -- rename to .csv and you can usually open them in Excel or other spreadsheet tool, make changes and save again? But any text editor will do so long as it can save as plain text without any text formatting. List of several of the CSV files here (about half way down the page): https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/disp ... eful+Links
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

Post by Searge-Major »

Thank you :)

PS. Are you on IRC? It's easier to discuss things there :)
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I guess most of us are on IRC from time to time but I've not been on for a while (not sure why - I guess I'm just not in the habit of logging in yet).