Windows Vista

Our old place to report Bugs, it's not used anymore. To report bugs, please read this topic.
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Re: Windows Vista

Post by Kayiaxo »

I have Vista Ultimate and don't experience any of the problems listed by other people.
All games work fine, even older ones (except 16bits games under dos because I have Vista x64 which only runs 32 and 64 bits).

My computer runs faster with Vista then with XP pro, since XP pro can't handle all the resources my PC has to offer very well.
As for games made for Win xp I get like 5~10 frame loss, but when compatible directx 10 and Vista build they run faster then on win xp.
I never run UAC to start with, thats for the people who aren't able to protect and use their computer like it should anyways.

Also Vista Ultimate only uses 600Mb of ram and 1gb pagefile which is very low.
Vista doesn't start acting weird after running 3 weeks like xp does, in fact SP1 isn't out but it runs for about 1~2 months fine before acting weird (non stop, no reboot, ignore update reboots).
And lastly, Vista can deal with crap better then xp does, vga driver crash in xp = bsod and reboot, in Vista=relaunch vga driver and resume the job.

Vista, properly configured, with up to date drivers and a system that isn't strangling him but allow him to use all his potential, is better then xp.

If you want to know what I mean by properly configured just ask me.
Credits to Kacen for making the image.
Dizzi78
Greenhorn

Post by Dizzi78 »

erm.. my pc is fine. everything is fine. maybe u didnt install your drivers? or maybe u forgot to insert ur graphics card :S. also, try to tweak a lot of the unused services and processes and defragment your harddrive. your games can still lag even though u have a top of the range pc.
alant2b
Rookie
Rookie

Post by alant2b »

I am using Visa Home Premium; note (my) home premium is 32 bit. (ok didn't know home premium comes in different versions sort of dumb of microsoft- good to know) When you right click on warzone2100 shortcut or exe, you have to make compatible with windows 95 (I know others run compatible on other versions but this runs best for me) Also have to have check run as admin and just for safety I also have clicked run in 640 x 480 screen resolution)

I have AMDx2 4000 with crappy 256 video card (64bit)

I installed the hot fix and the patch 2.08 everything works fine.

Make sure you rename the patch files to the original file names and move to same spot in program folder as original programs.
Last edited by alant2b on 28 Oct 2007, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

Home premium is also available in 64 bits.
Each version of Vista is made in 32 and 64 bits version except for Vista Starter (for poor countries, a special low cost Vista).
Credits to Kacen for making the image.
ioamnesia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ioamnesia »

I'm back from the dead! ;D Anywho. Last time I spoke I was using Cat 7.3 Warzone runs slow with 7.9 and crashes the computer with 7.10
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

ioamnesia wrote: I'm back from the dead! ;D Anywho. Last time I spoke I was using Cat 7.3 Warzone runs slow with 7.9 and crashes the computer with 7.10
Do you mean a BSOD crash, or a application crash ?

If a BSOD, maybe file a bug report with ATI?  WZ should bring down a computer. 
If not, then are there any error messages and or files sitting in your wz directory?
and it ends here.
gypakk
Trained
Trained

Post by gypakk »

Hi all,
yesterday I tried WZ 2.0.8 with Vista Home (Basic) 32bit.

1. PC: desktop, AMD3400, ca. 800 MB RAM,
2. PC: Acer Notebook, CoreDuo, 1.5 GB RAM.

On both computers, the game ran very, very slowly. The Trucks did not move, the jumped in intervals of about 1 second.
All menus appeared slowly. CPU load nearly 100% (at CoreDuo 50% because of only one processor was used).

Interesting: When I started WZ in a window (640x480) and moved this window to the screen border so that 80% of window area lied outside the desktop, as a result the CPU load fell down significantly (no matter if there had been displayed the battle field oder the main menu). It seems to me, that the program would have to calculate every pixel new before displaying it on the screen.

Newest updates had been installed, newest graphics driver too.

At PC #2 (Notebook), WZ runs fine with XP (another hd partition).

Is that a wz-bug, a vista-bug or had I simply forgotten to switch on oder off something...?
Life is real - unless declared as integer.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

gypakk wrote: Hi all,
yesterday I tried WZ 2.0.8 with Vista Home (Basic) 32bit.

1. PC: desktop, AMD3400, ca. 800 MB RAM,
2. PC: Acer Notebook, CoreDuo, 1.5 GB RAM.

On both computers, the game ran very, very slowly. The Trucks did not move, the jumped in intervals of about 1 second.
All menus appeared slowly. CPU load nearly 100% (at CoreDuo 50% because of only one processor was used).

Interesting: When I started WZ in a window (640x480) and moved this window to the screen border so that 80% of window area lied outside the desktop, as a result the CPU load fell down significantly (no matter if there had been displayed the battle field oder the main menu). It seems to me, that the program would have to calculate every pixel new before displaying it on the screen.

Newest updates had been installed, newest graphics driver too.

At PC #2 (Notebook), WZ runs fine with XP (another hd partition).

Is that a wz-bug, a vista-bug or had I simply forgotten to switch on oder off something...?
You don't list what video card or chipset you have.

Sounds like your not getting accelerated openGL, and it is doing it in software mode, which is VERY slow.

I would try with the command line switch of  --noshadow, and see if this helps.

When you cross your screen border, with a window, then it falls back to software rendering more than likely.  Who is at fault for that?  Well, you can do that in linux with no issues, so the issue is with MS, and how they do things.
and it ends here.
gypakk
Trained
Trained

Post by gypakk »

Buginator wrote: You don't list what video card or chipset you have.
Thanks for reply!

1st PC, I don't know... Raedon X1150 something. I'll look for it tomorrow.
2nd PC: Intel 945 GM Express-Chipsatz. I think, it's shared memory, but with XP, WZ runs fine and rather fast here!

Thanks for the hint with "--noshadow", I will try this.

Yes, Linux is better. :-) And I am glad that I need not to use Vista. I only tried to help a friend who has only Vista as operating system. :-(
gypakk
Trained
Trained

Post by gypakk »

Hey, I just solved the problem!

The main problem was:
the user in front of the monitor. :-)

I thought I updated all drivers, but that was wrong. I forgot the display driver. Now WZ 2.0.8 rund smoothly with Vista (notebook PC).
Thanks a lot!
Slarioux
New user

Post by Slarioux »

Well, I run Vista, and I'm afraid I have no choice. I'm currently uninstalling both Warzone and the OpenAL software. Maybe it will help :).
WDMonster
New user

Post by WDMonster »

runs with no problems on my vista ultimate 64bit except some minor lag in main menu.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

WDMonster wrote: runs with no problems on my vista ultimate 64bit except some minor lag in main menu.
What hardware do you have?
and it ends here.
Laserlight
Trained
Trained

Post by Laserlight »

I find the game runs nicely in windows vista, the game in fact runs on many Os's, however i cannot get the campaign to work right in windows xp 64bit edition. but.. xp 64bit is quite buggy anyway.
I have found it to work on xp, xp vortex, windows vista ultimate 64bit, Some linux, mac.
Cya
I Reject your reality, and substitute my own :P