Models By Berg

Improving the artwork in Warzone2100 - not for mod discussions
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

Re: Models By Berg

Post by Searge-Major »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:The original super transport looked like it could've been a hybrid airship that used a combination of lighter-than-air buoyancy and powered lift in order to fly. That would explain how something with that disproportionately large body, those stubby wings, and only 1 pair of turbofans to provide it with lift, could fly in the 1st place.

If you feel that the bodies of your VTOL transport designs (which do look nice btw) seem too small to fit 10 tanks in its cargo bay, then perhaps you could try creating some models of hybrid airships?
Sorry, offtopic, but this reminded me of some research I did into lighter-than-air vehicles, based on the fact that because air has weight, a vacuum or near vacuum would by necessity weigh far less, giving buoyancy to it's container. I think I ended up with a giant made up of several modules containing low-pressure helium in the outer modules, and near vacuum pressure hydrogen inside the inner modules. The behemoth was nearly a kilometre long, and a hundred or so metres wide, could in theory lift several hundred tons plus it's own weight. :lol2:
I fully realise my input is just another drop in the proverbial bucket. It is my goal to make each drop count.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Berg wrote:thats not a bad idea
Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:If you feel that the bodies of your VTOL transport designs (which do look nice btw) seem too small to fit 10 tanks in its cargo bay, then perhaps you could try creating some models of hybrid airships?
Inspiration? http://www.flickr.com/photos/66160244@N ... 265125033/
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

Post by Searge-Major »

That's strange, with all the research I did, I'm surprised I hadn't heard of this before... O_o

My research was for a very similar vehicle in terms of use, but it was far larger (~some few thousand tons as opposed to ~20) and could carry far more, as well as operating on a slightly different principle, but it is very similar... :ninja:
The vehicle didn't even get to design stage though, it was just a concept. Maybe in a few more years though... if you look up and see this monster ship flying a few thousand feet above the ground (still easily visible because of it's size), you'll know who it is. :wink:

At the time I was thinking aerial cruise ship, I see that Aeroscraft have got some similar ideas, like the luxury yacht application. :D
I'd buy one... :wink: Naturally there are other applications though. Anyway, still offtopic. :)
I fully realise my input is just another drop in the proverbial bucket. It is my goal to make each drop count.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

The behemoth was nearly a kilometre long, and a hundred or so metres wide, could in theory lift several hundred tons plus it's own weight.
Nice theory. In practice, it would be crushed by the pressure differential.
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

Post by Searge-Major »

stiv wrote:
The behemoth was nearly a kilometre long, and a hundred or so metres wide, could in theory lift several hundred tons plus it's own weight.
Nice theory. In practice, it would be crushed by the pressure differential.
It was a lot more complex than just a single container for the gas, but even so, solving the problem of pressure differential and control was a lot harder than first thought. IMHO it could be done, especially with the advanced lightweight composites of today, but it would be very expensive.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

In order for a hybrid airship to be able to fly whilst remaining heavier-than-air, it would need to rely on the following 2 formulas:

w > b
w < b + v

where w is the weight of the craft, b is the amount of lift provided by lighter-than-air gases, and v is the amount of lift provided by thrust vectoring mechanisms, such as helicopter propellers.

Now, when designing a hybrid airship for carrying cargo whilst having a mean buoyancy that's still heavier than air while empty, you'd need to be able to change the amount of lift provided in order to be able to adapt to changes in weight. As such, while carrying heavier loads, you'd need to rely more on your airship's thrust vectoring mechanisms to get the job done than on buoyancy, though you could adjust buoyancy by heating the lifting gases up. Also, what's to keep vehicles from containing some lighter-than-air gases for reducing their weight? :wink: (This same technology could also make it possible to develop hovercraft that can actually float partially above-ground, such as the Slingshot AA hovercraft from Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath.)
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

SkyCow.png
The SkyCow fuels and transports its cargo hence the name skycow super transport ....
This vehicle is supplied by Friendlies Sky Co a humane air craft manufacturer
....humane because no guns are shipped with the unassembled craft
We stand by our product it uses the latest technology and flight formula ...
w > b
w < b + v

Our leading scientists have spent decades developing this formula and the materials used.
Thank You for flying Friendlies Sky Co

Concept it really need more of a zeppelin shape to the tank
Last edited by Berg on 10 Feb 2012, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

:shok: :laugh2: :laughingneq: :rofl2:

Ahem... well, it looks like it could lift all those tanks, though then, how would the thing be able to land while it's empty. Maybe it needs some bigger turbofans so that it could have better aerodynamic lift? Perhaps some turbofans that are at least 3 times as long, and wide would do the trick?
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

It needs udders.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Stop making a joke of it we trying to be serious here.

High tech stuff and all....

PS: udders are organic they hard to shape...
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Yes, but these would be war udders. They could perhaps be like the "Love Lift" (sorry, only pic I could find of it) from the TV Series "Take Me Out". The udder lifts could deploy cyborgs to the battlefield and, during peace time, double up as props for a cheesy TV dating show.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Berg, you may remember this from a couple years back: Enable vehicle transport on multiplay/skirmish where the details of just how to best balance the Campaign Transport in MP came up.

In that same discussion, new designs also came up and some concept art from DARPA funded projects were linked (among others). This is were the concept of the Aeroscraft was defined and specifically the hybird airship for D.A.R.P.A. called the Walrus Hula (Hybrid Ultra Large Aircraft) 2005. The latest engineering news from 2011 for the Walrus Hula set for flight 2013 HERE

At that time I also did an image search with this criteria: Future Military Airships and the results were a staggering 165,000 images that were really inspirational and also connected to RL Military projects in many cases.

I did the search again and HERE are the results.

More than a few fit within the WZ universe, IMHO. Many are organic inspired (from marine life mostly) & will also bring a smile to your face for a bunch of reasons, I think - check it out. :)

- Regards, Rman. :hmm:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Rman Virgil wrote:Berg, you may remember this from a couple years back:
Yes and a lot of these ideas you note are recycled over time the images are fun they give ideas but as you know I am easily influenced to make outrageous models and what ensues is your own fault..

Rman Virgil wrote:More than a few fit within the WZ universe, IMHO. Many are organic inspired (from marine life mostly) & will also bring a smile to your face for a bunch of reasons, I think - check it out. :)
Thanks Rman
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Shadow Wolf TJC, well, such primitive technology for transport makes sense for campaign, this explains why VTOL needs to be researched later.
Although this could lead to possibility to research better transport in Beta campaign.
And reusing current model in MP requiring VTOL doesn't make sense at all, it should be very different from campaign's one or has other dependencies (to not make it available too early). ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Berg wrote:....as you know I am easily influenced to make outrageous models and what ensues is your own fault..
LOL. It's all to the good, I truly believe - the Way of the Artist, in fact. :)
Berg wrote:Thanks Rman
And thank YOU ! :D

On my part, it's just a small token of my appreciation for your creative work, sense of humor & the high standard of conduct with which you carry yourself. I suspect, like myself, those standards are straight from RL. Many seem to think a truncated, much lower version of RL standards are perfectly acceptable because it's "just" the Net.

As always, look forward to seeing more of your rad designs. ;)

And hey, let's not forget that what we take for the norm today was at one time considered radical. And what is seen today as rad could very well be the norm of tomorrow. It's been the pattern for thousands of years and artists know it intimately - that pattern of perception presented by the general populace geared to the routine..

- Regards, Rman. :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo