The *NEW* Warzone walkthrough (Done with RED units)

All campaign discussions go here.
Tips / tricks & help!
c3ns0r3d
New user

Re: The *NEW* Warzone walkthrough (Done with RED units)

Post by c3ns0r3d »

I found this walkthrough a couple of days ago and I just wanted to say a couple of things.

A) Thanks v. much :)

B) I am compiling this and a few other pages into an ODF file as a sort of guide, if anyones interested (and if mousemaster gives it the OK *hint, hint*;) ) please pm me
KpA
New user

Post by KpA »

thanks man. its actually really helpful
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Nice work, though I do think that the guide may not suit my playstyle, which involves relying on mobility for protection instead of thicker armor, a greater focus on using artillery over direct-fire units for assaulting enemy positions (and even for softening up enemy attack groups), and actually using sensor vehicles and commanders more often than sensor towers due to the fact that you can have them paint specific targets for artillery to target (and also due them gaining veterancy and how cheap they are compared to an array of sensor towers, though I am aware of the towers' longer sight range and higher elevation).

By the way, at what difficulty setting were you at when you were writing up your guide? So far, I've only tackled this game on easy difficulty. I might want to consider writing up a guide of my own to provide viewers with a different perspective (maybe more than one) on how to tackle various missions.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Jonix
Trained
Trained

Post by Jonix »

A VERY good walkthrough. :wink: In my opinion it should have been done with green units... :cry: :)
"All they who take thy sword, shall perish with thy sword"
"There is no good or evil, there is only power!"
Jonix
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Alright, I think I'm going to announce my retirement, seeing as me streching out "I'll get to it" statements does nothing more than hold up anyone who actually wants to do/finish this guide.

If anyone is curious as to exactly what caused my latest disappearance, it's because my computer crapped itself, and the hardrive was beyond lost. So my game and guide files/pictures were all hosed.

After realizing that, I didn't bring myself to restart everything, and kinda drifted into other, non-WZ things.

And now the 2.x series is no longer the current version anyway.

So, if anyone would like their own crack at doing this, by all means, go for it with my blessing.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

That's sad, I've using it a bit whey I first went through whole campaign and missed a bit missing last Gamma missions.
There are two types of people, those who do backups and those who will start doing backups (I've personally lost some data in the past, and I'm now thinking about using two or four discs in RAID, in future). ;-)
Anyway, it would be good to have few different walkthroughs, campaign isn't very flexible right now, but has some possibilities, different possible strategies sometimes.
Personally I could try to do own campaign walkthrough now, I've collected savegames for campaign for 3.1, but describing it and making screenshots takes lots of work, so your work is really appreciated.
Also it is still valid, there are nearly or no changes in campaign mode (maybe except some bugs, probably most or all fixed now).
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

That's a shame that that happened to you themousemaster. Despite our differences in playstyles, and thus, our opinions on how to tackle various obstacles, your walkthrough was very nicely done, with all those helpfully detailed screenshots. Thankfully, Crocuta stepped in for you to finish the walkthrough from Gamma 6 and onwards, using a similar style as yours. I appreciate what you both did. :D
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Emdek wrote:That's sad, I've using it a bit whey I first went through whole campaign and missed a bit missing last Gamma missions.
There are two types of people, those who do backups and those who will start doing backups (I've personally lost some data in the past, and I'm now thinking about using two or four discs in RAID, in future). ;-)
Anyway, it would be good to have few different walkthroughs, campaign isn't very flexible right now, but has some possibilities, different possible strategies sometimes.
Personally I could try to do own campaign walkthrough now, I've collected savegames for campaign for 3.1, but describing it and making screenshots takes lots of work, so your work is really appreciated.
Also it is still valid, there are nearly or no changes in campaign mode (maybe except some bugs, probably most or all fixed now).
It's true that i didnt have any type of RAID array, but it wouldnt have made a difference. my computer crapping itself involved a rather insane power spike that fried everything in there. I'll spare the details, but I was probably 15-ish % of the fault of it ;p

I woulda have had to have an offsite backup to recover it ;p
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Oh, yeah, this kind of failure is harder to recover...
I think that I could now find new purpose for my 2 Gb memory card (especially since I've finally replaced floppy disk drive by memory card reader). ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

I've taken the liberty of converting both walkthroughs into two PDF's. "Official" simply designating that it was derived from http://guide.wz2100.net/walkthrough and the other from here.
If you're reading this; you're awesome.
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Alpha11 (there is a use for cyborgs ;)

first 2 transports cyborg gunners when both are landed you rush them past the two scav bases to where you head out into the middle east/west trail - scavs are mostly rocket units / defenses and we know that doesn't do much to cyborgs. You should be there before the heavy tanks carrying the artifact - the cyborgs annihilate these and you get the artifact (now you are not rushed anymore). You can use the initial 10 Borgs to get the artifact but will likely need more to kill all the tanks to trigger the return to LZ.

Here is the image from the original walkthru - ignore the units. This is the area that you rush your cyborgs to - where is says NP Exit, this is where you will send your cannon / bombard units lancer tanks. Very soon the fleeing tanks will appear, you should take out the lancers first and then work on the heavy tanks with your gunner borgs.

I feel Cyborgs were originally meant to be used for this stage of the mission due to all the rocket units encountered... just my opinion.

While all this is going on you ship in bombard and medium cannonlancer units you can do it with 10 but take more if you want, with these move up the middle entrance (NP Exit on image) towards the enemy lz (you don't go the north passage as it is heavily guarded and sucks too much time) and kill all units there.

Once you destroy all the units there you should be called to return to the lz - if you are strapped for time to get them back it is a good idea to bring in a truck and build a repair facility and then recycle them making sure you have one unit at the lz (I didn't need to do this).

To trigger the return to LZ you must kill all units this includes fleeing units so if it is not triggering there is a unit somewhere. You do NOT need to destroy the scav bases, in fact it is better to just ignore them.
Last edited by Rommel on 02 Mar 2013, 20:04, edited 3 times in total.
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Rommel: curious observation. Probably use pure cyborgs during this whole mission? Would you be able to significantly improve my record with this? (10:35)
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

NoQ wrote:Rommel: curious observation. Probably use pure cyborgs during this whole mission? Would you be able to significantly improve my record with this? (10:35)
I haven't actually tried, hmm I guess the only trouble would be with the enemy bombards, but if you rush them I would say it is possible, just keep shipping in cyborg gunners / lancer and rush... I think it might work as the map is mostly rocket defence.. .I think I will try it.
Seems to me absurd
~
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Yeah I tried a few more things, in the end I found using borgs with lancer heavy units seemed to be the sweet spot - you use the borgs to take out the rocket emplacements and ultimately shield your lancer units when you get to the enemy LZ. The trouble with borgs alone is that the scav bases inner defence is MG- the towers aren't so bad but the bunkers give the borgs hell and just chew em up - if we had grenadier borgs at this stage it would work fine.

I couldn't get close to your record time, maybe if I messed with it some more - but I think if you try using the gunner borg method to take get the artifact early and take out that northeast scav base you will prolly shave a few minutes of your record maybe, dunno.
Seems to me absurd
~
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

NoQ wrote:Rommel: curious observation. Probably use pure cyborgs during this whole mission? Would you be able to significantly improve my record with this? (10:35)
MIssion time on yours was 8:48

I just tried with cyborg and lancer tanks and got: 7:55 and I am sure you could improve this significantly, NoQ.

This is purely sending cyborg gunners after the fleeing enemy and lancer tanks at the LZ, no building anything only building a repair facility. I must add purely as this was a speed test I was not worrying about losses, in fact I intentionally killed the lancer tanks as they take time to get back to the LZ ;)

This level is ridiculously easy for me now, I remember it used to give me all kinds of problems when I first played lol. I really think the developers intended the player to use borgs here as it is soon after gaining the borg tech as well and with all the rockets it is likely to show how borgs are resistent to them.

YOu can win this level with 10 lancer track cobra (what I used) and 20 gunner cyborgs (to catch the fleeing tanks) - I can almost do this with 10 cyborg gunners but couldn't quite get the last tank - he waits up near the NE scav base anyway so you can get him later - I wonder if some lancer borgs in the mix might cut it to 10 borgs... ?
Last edited by Rommel on 02 Mar 2013, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
Seems to me absurd
~