WAY TOO SLOW 2.07 how i speed it up?

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
NullVoid
Trained
Trained
Location: California, except for my brain, which is probably making Timeline Jumps at the moment....

WAY TOO SLOW 2.07 how i speed it up?

Post by NullVoid »

Windows XP home SP2
512MB Ram
NVIDIA RIVA TNT/2 (so horrible that the original WZ readme had TNT1 in specific help.... I HATE THIS DAM CARD!!!)
1.39 GHz Pentium 4

This was a premade VAIO
also in order to adjust basic graphics settings i have a 3rd party app, RivaTuner v2.0 RC 15.6

if u have suggestions for speeding it up... also if there are any D3D or OpenGL settings that could help...
...BUT WARZONE OWNZ!!

I Hereby Render You,

Null
And
Void
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: WAY TOO SLOW 2.07 how i speed it up?

Post by Watermelon »

1.disable shadows via the commandline option or via in-game alt+S combo
2.reduce color depth(called 'bpp') to 16bit via 'config' file(plain text open it with text editor) in my documents\warzone2100\
3.change fog mode
4.lower resolution
5.get a better agp card from your friends(you are out of luck if yours is a laptop,I saw one some time ago and it's really compact)
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

This makes no sense to me at all.  Warzone was built on pre-200MHz machines, and designed to run on cards with less than 8MB of memory.  You all have added shadows, and redesigned Warzone's internals to run on linux..  What could you have possibly done to cause it to run so slow?
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Chojun wrote: This makes no sense to me at all.  Warzone was built on pre-200MHz machines, and designed to run on cards with less than 8MB of memory.  You all have added shadows, and redesigned Warzone's internals to run on linux..  What could you have possibly done to cause it to run so slow?
hardware mode only(d3d/glide to opengl, since software renderer was removed in WRP)
1.increased texture size
2.increased texture depth
3.increased resolution
4.some funky matrix changes
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
NullVoid
Trained
Trained
Location: California, except for my brain, which is probably making Timeline Jumps at the moment....

Post by NullVoid »

thanks! note, if you ever get a low-end 3d graphics card, STAY AWAY FROM NVIDIA!!!
...BUT WARZONE OWNZ!!

I Hereby Render You,

Null
And
Void
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

why?  i still have my 200 mhz p2 with 512 ram and nvidia tnt2 ... still works with original warzone...  it gets slow once in a while... ;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
NullVoid
Trained
Trained

Post by NullVoid »

umm yeah u said original.
200mhz pc vs equal 1.36Ghz Pc.... and mine has insanely bad framerate in default, even at x20 speed!
...BUT WARZONE OWNZ!!

I Hereby Render You,

Null
And
Void
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

NullVoid wrote: umm yeah u said original.
200mhz pc vs equal 1.36Ghz Pc.... and mine has insanely bad framerate in default, even at x20 speed!
Actually at x20 the speed of the game itself increases. Which basically means that your CPU will spend more time on the AI, moving units, pathfinding, etc. The x20 is entirely unrelated to the graphics framerate though, your graphics framerate might get lower though, due to your CPU having less time to spend on graphics.

So simply said: x20 should decrease your framerate, not increase it.

Then lastly: what is your "insanely bad framerate" ?
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
NullVoid
Trained
Trained

Post by NullVoid »

umm by insanely bad, i mean just by looking for 3 secs i can tell is ridiculous. i havent actually checked the framerate.
...BUT WARZONE OWNZ!!

I Hereby Render You,

Null
And
Void
Delphinio
Art contributor

Post by Delphinio »

set win to 32bit...
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

I'm surprised nobody mentionned it yet, but try updating you drivers.
Chipset, sound and graphics drivers are important to be up-to-data for running games smoothly.

You could also launch Warzone 2100 without grims GFX, that will give you better frame rate as well.
Also, lower the game resolution to make the game easier for your graphic card.
Credits to Kacen for making the image.
NullVoid
Trained
Trained

Post by NullVoid »

kayjaxo, they dont MAKE drivers for my graphics card anymore. my sound card aint a problem, nor is chipset. also, i NEVER use Grims mod, i like the old look better by far. note i just made a thread of suggestions, and in it i mentioned an idea for a command line option that would be a shortcut to all these, called --superfast.... that would help a lotta ppl huh?
...BUT WARZONE OWNZ!!

I Hereby Render You,

Null
And
Void
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

It isn't because they don't make your drivers anymore that you don't have the latest ones.
Your driver might be from august 2003 while the latest driver is from december 2004 for exemple.
Also you should check for latest drivers on the website of those who made the chipset of the cards, not on the site of the system manufacturer since they don't always list the latest drivers.
NullVoid
Trained
Trained

Post by NullVoid »

ummm, i have checked recently, last driver was like 2001, i checked in 2004.... nope, no more. they even said support discontinued.
...BUT WARZONE OWNZ!!

I Hereby Render You,

Null
And
Void
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

Try to close as many applications and task bar applications before launching the game.
Defragmenting the hard disk and deactivating antivirus software will help also (disconnect internet if needed).