Warzone long term vision

Website issues & feedback. Constructive criticism is welcome.
(Guest posting is allowed under certain circumstances)
If you have a problem with certain individuals, then PM the Staff account.
IblisTheMage
Rookie
Rookie

Warzone long term vision

Post by IblisTheMage »

Hi,

First, I am in awe over the effort by the dev community, and the result. Warzone 2100 has been my favourite game since it came out, and I have litterally played over a thousand skirmish games over the years. (I do not play multiplayer for a number of reasons: 1) I suck 2) I have family, and therefore need to be able to leave the game paused with no warning.)

And it just gets better and better...

But where is it heading, I start to wonder?

Are there some long term goals, a future vision to realize, or is it pure organic growth, leading where evloution takes us?

I do not contribute to the development, so I have no say in it, but I would like to chip in with a litte bit of vision-related brainstorming.

As I see it, Warzone is now an altruistic project, people work for free for their own and others benefit, like for example Wikipedia. In its own way, it is a betterment of the life of the people who play and love the game.

As such, I believe the long term vision should be oriented towards making the game played by more people. I think it should be that it is as known as Diablo, Starcraft, etc etc, discussed in the media as such, and be played by a player base factors larger than the current one (I have no idea what the current one is, but this is a vision, remember? ;-) ).

So, what do you think. Should I cut back on the diet coke, or is there basis for discussion?
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: Warzone long term vision

Post by aubergine »

I have similar feeling. I class myself as a n00b and mostly play single player skirmishes. I keep coming back to WZ over and over and love it to bits, especially as it keeps getting better.

As I've been poking around the development areas recently, I've found that there are always things being done to make the game even better:

* Additional campaigns are being worked on: campaign 4
* Discussions about porting to iPad are taking place
* A new Javascript-based scripting API is being worked on (which will make certain development tasks much easier)
* New gameplay features like Electronic Counter Measures are being investigated
* There's always a load of activity around artwork to make the game look nicer

Will any of that bring in crowds of new players? Probably not (with the exception of iPad port), but then again do we measure success of WZ on how many people play it?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

aubergine wrote: * Discussions about porting to iPad are taking place
discussions may be taking place, but i caution you about holding your breath in light of Apple's negative impact on gpl stuff. ie: they would rather see something die if they don't get their pound of flesh. if it aint produced by apple, then it aint going to be on an apple product. prove me wrong. :)
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

I believe the long term vision should be oriented towards making the game played by more people.
And why is that, exactly? I don't have the numbers, but I would guess Farmville is played by many more people than Warzone. Should we make Warzone more like Farmville to attract more players?

Real-time Strategy games are a niche in the gaming world. WZ is sub-niche of that, but it seems rather long-lived (a decade old!) and has some rather rabid fans. That persistence suggests it has something unique going for it. It may not be to everyone's taste, but like anchovies on a pizza, people who like it seem to really like it.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Anyone who doesn't like anchovies in pizza is just weird.

And we should definitely create a facebook port of WZ, replacing droids with cattle. bwahahaha
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :laughingneq: :laughingneq: :drinks: :haha: :haha:
IblisTheMage
Rookie
Rookie

Post by IblisTheMage »

stiv wrote: And why is that, exactly?
For the greater good. I do not believe that everybody will play warzone, but I believe a lot more would if they knew about it.
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 20 Jan 2012, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected a word paly to play... your welcome.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

lav_coyote25 wrote:
aubergine wrote: * Discussions about porting to iPad are taking place
discussions may be taking place, but i caution you about holding your breath in light of Apple's negative impact on gpl stuff. ie: they would rather see something die if they don't get their pound of flesh. if it aint produced by apple, then it aint going to be on an apple product. prove me wrong. :)
Completely agree here.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Rman Virgil on Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:58 am wrote:.

The chances of WZ making it to an Android Tablet are 100% better. :)

For all the reasons WHY see this thread:

Android anyone?? (How to tech details provided.)

- RV :hmm:
TechWiz on Fri May 13, 2011 7:50 pm wrote:
It will compile for OS X obviously but what good does that do if I was targeting the iPad? Also I no longer have my Macbook so my end of the development is halted until I either get a new macbook or build a new PC with hackintosh. I'm also rather broke and in college so yea =P

And the android idea sounds far more promising actually especially since the android tablets are not nearly as expensive and Google is quite liberal in terms of their ToS for the market.
An android tablet port still remains 100% more feasible from every possible vantage.

How about WZ on the new Samsung Galaxy NOTE device.... O_o

- RV :hmm:
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Small steps taken mean less chance of falling ... if apple refuses to allow open source then try other machines they will get the fame of being versatile and apple will suffer the lose ..I know having warzone on your favorite machine is a bonus but look too easies prey then apple may change there limitations

My idea for warzone is to enhance what it has not fall prey to other outside influences ...sure use all means possible to advertise and yes modernize the game engine but stay true to the game-play ...

Take the path of least resistance and defy the corporate overlords let the smaller companies have the benefit