Post by i-NoD »

Serious work Olrox!
Argh! Can't wait till it's finished XD
Olrox
Art contributor

Re: Super Transport model submissions

Post by Olrox »

Thanks guys!
Let's see if my inspiration keeps up until next weekend and if my skills ain't rusted too much :lol2:
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Hi Olrox, Berg. Nice to see you. BTW excelent model Olrox
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

http://www.gizmag.com/hybrid-air-vehicl ... hip/19746/

just to keep you in the loop... found this on gizmag....
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Hey lav, nice to see you still 'round shaking things up a bit :wink:

I think I've had already seen that one, but probably gas-lifted aircraft wouldn't be truly suitable for tactical use as we see in WZ. Probably they'd be rather used in a strategical scale, deploying troops and supplies farther from the frontlines, where the threats from AA and Air-to-Air defenses would be minimal (since I can't imagine an efficient way to armor-plate such floating craft cuz the surface is way too big and anti-practical in terms of ballistics - thinking about the angle between most incoming fire and the surface of the "hull" itself).

Can't help but relate that tech's current application to my previous ideas:

Maybe if we could have some properly strategical MP gameplay on warzone (which we sincerely don't have actually, sincerely - I think that's a common sense, right?) those would really make sense, but that whole strategical gameplay talk is enough for a whole topic right? I do think it makes sense, if the true role of that kind of tech is accounted for, to some extent.

I actually imagine that pumpkin itself had thought about that when they were making their own model, since I can only remember one mission (Alpha 6 or 7 if I'm not mistaken, the one where you finally recover Synaptic Link tech) where the transporter is actually shot at by defenses when passing near the enemy base, and that other one on Beta 2 or 3 where the transporter is actually already shot down and you have to rescue the units. Other than that, the transporters were always routed through secure lines, hardly across the battlefield.

But, again, I think that we could make great use of tactical vehicle deployment resources. They could branch off into distinctive and certainly fun King-of-the-hill, capture-and-hold and probably many other rich and diversified gamestyles. And if nobody does that before I learn some decent programming skills, I will do that myself because I think it should be in-game from the very beginning :lol2:

Resources have a great impact on gameplay, and I think that this kind of resource would make for a bombastic one. Zarel would probably kill me due to the balance changes that this could need, but hey, that would be really awesome IMHO.

For now, I'll keep working on the model in a very educated way and pretend it is meant to be some kind of eyecandy of something 8)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Some updates on the development, using some materials to fake the main colouring layout I'm thinking about:
render1.jpg
render2.jpg
render3.jpg
~Olrox
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Oh holy crap that's nice! :D Awesome job!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

yes - it is awesome - now, can you point out the various areas on the aircraft - ie: cockpit, cargo areas... etc.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Will do, maybe it'll end up a nice concept art, after all :wink:
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Olrox wrote:Will do, maybe it'll end up a nice concept art, after all :wink:
IF you do it up with the dust and fog like that tank you did a while back it should be exciting
By the way how many polygon is this model?

Regards Berg
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Nice Olrox, how big is this on WZ's scale ?
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Berg wrote:
Olrox wrote:Will do, maybe it'll end up a nice concept art, after all :wink:
IF you do it up with the dust and fog like that tank you did a while back it should be exciting
By the way how many polygon is this model?

Regards Berg
Hmm, since I'm doing this high poly, unlike everything I've already have done here, probably it will make much more sense to go on and make some nice renders out of it, yeah. This model currently has over 210k polygons, which is actually low for a high-poly of this size. I'm currently adding the greater, decisive details so that I can go on and slice them into smaller, texture-like details. With that, I wouldn't be surprised if I reached over 1kk polys. But, since that's a (roughly) 5x5 tile model, I'll put a final limit of 512 polys in the end, aiming to 256 as long as it doesn't lose significant geometry details. Hmmm, I can't recall if there's a nasty poly-count limit in .pies, you surely would know if there is such thing, right? :hmm:

Anyway, I've done some sketchy-blueprint-like-thingy to satisfy Lav's wishes and take the chance to re-think the whole design. Please don't mind the coffee stains :wink:
Here it is:
arxcaeliblueprinnts.jpg
vexed wrote:Nice Olrox, how big is this on WZ's scale ?
answer is above in italic :)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

AWESOME!!!!!!!! thanks. :)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Excellent stuff :) The hard limits right now are 512 triangles, 768 vertices and 1024x1024 texture size. I guess that with a 5x5 model, you really should aim for using everything within this limit.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Olrox wrote:Hmmm, I can't recall if there's a nasty poly-count limit in .pies, you surely would know if there is such thing, right? :hmm:
Jorzi wrote:Excellent stuff :) The hard limits right now are 512 triangles, 768 vertices and 1024x1024 texture size. I guess that with a 5x5 model, you really should aim for using everything within this limit.
:wink: => viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7250&start=15#p75964