What is your favorite web browser?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
gpg10101
Greenhorn

What is your favorite web browser?

Post by gpg10101 »

Mine is well... Firefox. What's yours?
bendib
Regular
Regular

Re: What is your favorite web browser?

Post by bendib »

gpg10101 wrote:Mine is well... Firefox. What's yours?
Firefox. Chrome might have some nice things, but it's too minimalist for my tastes. Opera is too bloated for me, and IE, well, it's IE. Safari is Apple's terrible rip-off of Konqueror.
Also known as Subsentient.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Firefox. But i use chrome on slower machines like netbooks. Vimperator is a nice thing to have, even though i'm not perfectly convenient with it, i find it useful from time to time; chrome has some simplier addons that try to emulate it as well.
IE, well, it's IE
oh ye (: I really want to take my pocket gauss cannon and kill everybody who had the slightest thought of selling netbooks with IE pre-installed. It takes a minute to open a simpliest website in this environment, and the system hangs completely on trying to open a second tab :hmm: :annoyed: :roll:
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Opera. If page renders incorret I check it in IE.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
E-102 Gamma
Regular
Regular

Post by E-102 Gamma »

Google Chrome.

I switched from IE7 because it was being a pain.

I love how wonderfully light GC is. It opens pages quickly almost never crashes or hangs. :)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

E-102 Gamma wrote:Google Chrome.

I switched from IE7 because it was being a pain.

I love how wonderfully light GC is. It opens pages quickly almost never crashes or hangs. :)
only time GC crashes is when they change sh@t without letting you know... ie: upgade stuff. and then google gears goes all :twisted: and stuff... :annoyed: :lol2:
Ezio
Trained
Trained

Post by Ezio »

Opera. If page renders incorret I check it in IE Firefox. :lol2:
only use IE to download "other browser" XD

i like opera since it helps me with email notification so i could reply and get info faster, FF sometimes annoys me with unsupported add on when i need it. never use GC before.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I like the speed of google chrome, the interface of firefox, and standards compliance of safari
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Warzone_Fan
Trained
Trained

Post by Warzone_Fan »

firefox
  • If you do things right people won’t be sure you did anything at all.
    One man’s criticism worth more than a million men approval.
    The real power is to rule over your own anger.
    Don’t Hope For Change, Make The Change You Hope For.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

macuser wrote:I like the speed of google chrome, the interface of firefox, and standards compliance of safari
Err, Safari and Chrome use the same engine, and they're about equally standards-compliant as all other major browsers, except IE9, which is still missing a few useful HTML5 stuff like drag-and-drop uploading.

Myself, I use Chrome everywhere. I like its UI and speed, and it's amazing how smoothly tab drag-and-drop works.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Zarel wrote:
macuser wrote:I like the speed of google chrome, the interface of firefox, and standards compliance of safari
Err, Safari and Chrome use the same engine, and they're about equally standards-compliant as all other major browsers, except IE9, which is still missing a few useful HTML5 stuff like drag-and-drop uploading.

Myself, I use Chrome everywhere. I like its UI and speed, and it's amazing how smoothly tab drag-and-drop works.
No safari and chrome use a SIMILAR engine. Safari uses webkit, chrome uses it's own version of webkit which is for the most part compliant but there are a number of pet peeves I have with it (backface culling for one - just google the issue). I also do NOT like chrome's UI.

IMHO this is what firefox or chrome SHOULD look like
Attachments
Firefox-4.png
Firefox-4.png
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

macuser wrote:No safari and chrome use a SIMILAR engine. Safari uses webkit, chrome uses it's own version of webkit which is for the most part compliant but there are a number of pet peeves I have with it (backface culling for one - just google the issue).
No, they use the same engine. Safari uses WebKit. Chrome uses WebKit. Neither of them use their "own version" of WebKit, they both use the one and only WebKit. Most rendering differences are due to that Chrome is updated more often than Safari and so usually has a more recent version of WebKit.

The backface culling bug is marked as fixed: https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=56237

You'll notice this is a WebKit bug, not a Chrome bug. If you had used a Safari nightly with WebKit 258, you would have experienced the same bug.

And having tried the linked reproduction steps in Chrome 13, I can confirm that it's fixed.
macuser wrote:I also do NOT like chrome's UI.
That's a matter of opinion, although I do note there's a good reason why Firefox 4 and Opera 11's UIs were changed drastically from Firefox 3.6 and Opera 9 and now look practically identical to Chrome's.
macuser wrote:IMHO this is what firefox or chrome SHOULD look like
Uh, I don't see very many differences between this and Chrome (or any between this and Firefox 4, for that matter).

Main differences I see between that and Chrome are:
- home tab - you can pin tabs in Chrome, which is pretty much exactly that
- star button on left instead of right - I seriously don't care about this
- refresh/stop on the right - I'm used to it being on the left, but I don't really care about this either
- status bar - Chrome's disappearing status bar shows the same amount of information, but doesn't take up space
- bookmarks button to the right of location bar - Chrome puts this on the bookmarks bar, which I really prefer
- name of cert organization in location bar - okay, this is kind of useful, but really not a huge deal

Other than that, the shapes of some things are different, and that's about it. Which difference do you care about? o_O
Ezio
Trained
Trained

Post by Ezio »

Zarel wrote: That's a matter of opinion, although I do note there's a good reason why Firefox 4 and Opera 11's UIs were changed drastically from Firefox 3.6 and Opera 9 and now look practically identical to Chrome's.
It's Opera 10 :), i guess chrome UI is identical to Opera with native theme although not many people know about this feature
it looks like this
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I contrasted Opera 9 and Opera 11 mostly because Opera 10 changed to look more like Chrome, and then Opera 11 was changed to look even more like Chrome.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Zarel wrote: The backface culling bug is marked as fixed: https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=56237

You'll notice this is a WebKit bug, not a Chrome bug. If you had used a Safari nightly with WebKit 258, you would have experienced the same bug.

And having tried the linked reproduction steps in Chrome 13, I can confirm that it's fixed.
I run the absolute bleeding edge of all browsers on one of my machines and NO the back-face culling bug is not fixed (I have a webpage I wrote that makes use of it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X0_LGW54-A This page seen in the video still does this on chrome but not webkit nightly.

About chrome and safari using different versions of webkit: http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebKit2

This page talks about:

webkit1 - no sandboxing
webkit2 - native sandboxing
Chrome webkit - they modified it to use a custom sanboxing model
ArtRev Website

ImageImage