New warzone 2100 on a new engine

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: New warzone 2100 on a new engine

Post by NoQ »

MaNGusT wrote:
NoQ wrote:Ну как бы Вам сказать ... Тут народ достаточно недвусмысленно намекает, что варзонку нельзя портировать на UDK по лицензионным соображениям. То есть совсем нельзя.
До вас это только дошло?)))
Да я наивно пытаюсь топикстартеру это донести ... :oops: Хотя уже исчезли доказательства того, что он именно это пытался делать.

Oh my it's sooo pleasant to speak one's native language, really ... Which means my english is still pretty bad (:
MagvesT
Greenhorn

Post by MagvesT »

MaNGusT, в каком смысле очередной бред, мы что то ещё делали ? Умейте правильно выражать свою мысль.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

NoQ wrote:Oh my it's sooo pleasant to speak one's native language, really ... Which means my english is still pretty bad (:
Really? I wouldn't have guessed that you weren't a native English speaker before you starting writing all those funny letters...
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

MagvesT wrote:MaNGusT, в каком смысле очередной бред, мы что то ещё делали ? Умейте правильно выражать свою мысль.
у тебя в профиле ссылка на сайт.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

MaNGusT wrote:в профиле ссылка на сайт.
Спасибо, не заметил. Ну тогда вышесказанное подтверждается. Эх.
Per wrote:... before you starting writing all those funny letters...
I started it a bit earlier :oops: :oops: :oops:

Anyway, the fact is, no matter how it seems, it's still much more painful to me to write in english, and i can't really get close to the expression power i have with russian. On the other hand, the good thing is i can't get angry in english :D

Well, never mind, i say such things from time to time, you'll get used to it (:
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

I don't know why everybody so negative about this warzone "conversion" to new Engine.
As I've understood Magvest wants to make a some-kind of remake using UDK. I think its good that somebody actually is trying to do something about.
Buginator wrote:For what it is worth, cheating is 100% NOT tolerated.
If you have a new engine, fine, you can put links up to the source code, but any build that allows cheating with our builds, is not allowed.
Who said something about cheating ? I hardly dout that WZ2100 UDK will be supporting current version, It justa remake. Or what kind of cheating you talking about ?
MaNGusT wrote:PS был я на вашем сайте.... очередной бред, который ничем не закончиться.
Why so negative ? if dudes wants to make a new game with old concept ? why not ? he is just asking for help. its not the reason to be rude.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Terminator wrote:Who said something about cheating ? I hardly dout that WZ2100 UDK will be supporting current version, It justa remake. Or what kind of cheating you talking about ?
His youtube channel seems to contain some videos about cheating in Warzone, maybe that lead to some confusion.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Terminator makes some valid points. :3

MagvesT: You may be interested in the effort by Member Seismo here:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4507&p=79680#p79680

The approach by that effort makes integrating a new engine as feasible as it's gonna get and you may find you have much in common with Member Seismo's goals....

- RV :hmm:

Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

cybersphinx wrote:His youtube channel seems to contain some videos about cheating in Warzone, maybe that lead to some confusion.
Oh, may be. But I can insure that cheating videos & this "remake" isn't connected in anyway.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Terminator wrote:
cybersphinx wrote:His youtube channel seems to contain some videos about cheating in Warzone, maybe that lead to some confusion.
Oh, may be. But I can insure that cheating videos & this "remake" isn't connected in anyway.
Let's see, the OP has cheating vids for our version, but then says 'We do NOT allow any sites that make it easier to cheat in Warzone.'
What is wrong with that picture ? :stare: :annoyed:

Anyway, using Unreal development kit, is asking for trouble in the legal department, as that is a commercial engine, and there isn't a way to release the source code of that engine itself.

From what I understand / have been told, you are not allowed to mix our codebase with UDK or Unity, or any other closed source non GPL engine *if* you plan to release it to the public. That would be a violation of the GPL.

If it is private use, then, of course, it is OK.

If you would start out with the original source release, and use the GPL exception, then, AFAIK, you can release that version to the public, as long as you don't mix in any of our GPL code in your codebase, and you must release the source code changes as well.

I think that about covers it. :hmm:

Oh, as for a engine that wouldn't violate... :ninja:
Attachments
Hmm.jpg
and it ends here.
dak180
Trained
Trained

Post by dak180 »

Buginator wrote:Anyway, using Unreal development kit, is asking for trouble in the legal department, as that is a commercial engine, and there isn't a way to release the source code of that engine itself.

From what I understand / have been told, you are not allowed to mix our codebase with UDK or Unity, or any other closed source non GPL engine *if* you plan to release it to the public. That would be a violation of the GPL.

If it is private use, then, of course, it is OK.

If you would start out with the original source release, and use the GPL exception, then, AFAIK, you can release that version to the public, as long as you don't mix in any of our GPL code in your codebase, and you must release the source code changes as well.
The original warzone code has the following exemption:
In addition, as a special exception, the copyright holders of Warzone 2100 give you permission to combine Warzone 2100 with code included in the standard release of libraries that are accessible, redistributable and linkable free of charge. You may copy and distribute such a system following the terms of the GNU GPL for Warzone 2100 and the licenses of the other code concerned.
I generally take that to mean that anyone must be able to acquire their own copy at anytime without having to pay for it and must (at the very least) be able to give an unaltered copy to anyone else and that they must then also be able to use said copy.

It goes on to note that people do not have to pass this exception on if they do not wish to do so; because this exception was not in the original code release, we do not pass it on.

On the matter of private use this is nearly impossible to do; it would require that the code you have modified (or the binaries produced from that code) never resided on any media that was not solely under your exclusive control at any time.

All that said, I am not a lawyer and those are only my personal opinions; if you really want to know what you can and cannot do ask a lawyer that knows the GPL.
User:dak180
Keeper of the Mac Builds
MagvesT
Greenhorn

Post by MagvesT »

Like many politicians ... I only ask your help to help me. :)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

MagvesT wrote:Like many politicians ... I only ask your help to help me. :)
The diff here being that even unsuccessful politicians are shrewd enough to carefully acknowledge thems that lent a helping hand. ;)

- RV :hmm:
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Buginator wrote:Oh, as for a engine that wouldn't violate... :ninja:
That's some amazing looking water, what engine is that?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Oh my, that is INDEED shiny. Where'd ya get that, Buggy? :D