Current Gates in-game & Its improvment

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Current Gates in-game & Its improvment

Post by Terminator »

I don't usually use gates, but recently I have build base using gates. I Have made "entrance", covered all "holes" and I thought it would be cool defense. But when enemy has arrived these gates were not a defense but a useless interference that holds my units behind it & enemies from other side. The problem is that when I order my units to attack enemy they should come close so gates opens & enemy comes into base easily. & also opening speed is too slow, they should be faster if not instant. So overall impression isnt good.

I remember old days with wz v1.10 & Getes_mod_beta1 by Troman & Elric I guess that mod was perfect. With its gates controls & more futuristic idia of lasers "unit-clearance" that filters passing units & not being an obstacle for them. btw there is a source code of that mod for wz1.10. if it could be applied to current code it would be awesome, but taking care of current gates would be fine too.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
macuser
Regular
Regular

Re: Current Gates in-game & Its improvment

Post by macuser »

I seccond that!!
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
zoid
Trained
Trained

Post by zoid »

Gate opening speed should be faster, if not instantaneous. Instant-open gates are a tad unrealistic though. :?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I agree, half a second would be good, and a "lock" feature would be good. Also I'm not sure how it is now but I think it's best if they count as closed unless completely open
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Jorzi wrote:I think it's best if they count as closed unless completely open
Aren't they?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Yes.

I've doubled the open speed now. Not sure how to make them open/not open more intelligently, though. It is rather hard, if not also messy UI-wise, to add a button to them.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

It might be simpler to hardcode that all friendly units can go through gates at any time, and enemy units can't, and the gate animation would be purely visual.

Would also make sync easier, since the state of the gate wouldn't need to be stored/transferred at all.
Wolftrak
Trained
Trained

Post by Wolftrak »

Zarel wrote:It might be simpler to hardcode that all friendly units can go through gates at any time, and enemy units can't, and the gate animation would be purely visual.
Perfect solution.Whenever I used the gates,there was a problem with pathfinding,if the gate is closed.I had to open it manually with moving a unit close to the gate
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Whenever I used the gates,there was a problem with pathfinding,if the gate is closed
It was reported and even fixed some time ago, as far as i remember.
It might be simpler to hardcode that all friendly units can go through gates at any time, and enemy units can't, and the gate animation would be purely visual.
I don't see how can this work in case there is one friendly unit and one enemy unit at the gate tile simultaneously.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

NoQ wrote:I don't see how can this work in case there is one friendly unit and one enemy unit at the gate tile simultaneously.
In the code? The enemy unit considers the gate to be a wall, the friendly unit considers the gate to be an empty square. I believe this is how it's done in the pathfinding engine currently.

In the fluff? The enemy unit can't go through the gate because the friendly unit is blocking it.

In the graphics? The wall is down, and the enemy unit can't go through because of the fluff explanation.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

good. Will see how those settings effects on gates in next master build.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100