Reinstating the Cyclone

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
zoid
Trained
Trained

Reinstating the Cyclone

Post by zoid »

Are there any plans for bringing back the Cyclone? If not, I'd like to present some. I think it's a shame for a cool weapon from the original game to be completely missing from MP.

Of course, we all know that the Cyclone was removed when the Sunburst and Flak Cannon were added. Here are some possible ways we could fit it back in:

1. Put the Cyclone between Hurricane and Whirlwind as the second AA Flak-based weapon. That's where the Cyclone was before it was removed.

2.Rename the Flak Cannon "Cyclone Flak Cannon" and give it the old Cyclone model (great model btw).

3.Move Whirlwind to the machinegun category and give it MG upgrades. Cyclone would replace Whirlwind as the other AA Flak-based weapon.

Personaly, I like choice 3. It provides an AA weapon for users of rockets (Sunburst), cannons (Flak Cannon), and machineguns (Whirlwind), while the specialized AA Flak weapons are available for those willing to invest the research. Since the Whirlwind already has a much higher ROF than the other AA weapons and has Assault Gun as a prerequisite, it seems logical to use machinegun upgrades for it.

~zoid :)
effigy
Regular
Regular

Re: Reinstating the Cyclone

Post by effigy »

Option 3 sounds nice to me :D
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I like option 1. I don't like it when things change in the tech tree. I think Warzone should have a more static tree that doesn't change so often.
Also known as Subsentient.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Option 4 : Make a versatile weapon with it.

Ok now that he forcedme to upgrade all those useless flaks and that all his vtol are definitively out what could i do with those reamining flaks... :roll: :idea: Take that borgs !! :twisted:
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

topic moved by request of zoid.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Iluvalar wrote:Option 4 : Make a versatile weapon with it.

Ok now that he forcedme to upgrade all those useless flaks and that all his vtol are definitively out what could i do with those reamining flaks... :roll: :idea: Take that borgs !! :twisted:
[Twin] assault gun is versatile, and though not proper AA, it is similar. This would not make much sense I think.
Also known as Subsentient.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

bendib wrote:
Iluvalar wrote:Option 4 : Make a versatile weapon with it.

[Twin] assault gun is versatile, and though not proper AA, it is similar. This would not make much sense I think.
FLAKS !!

Flaks research is the only one the doesn't have any "ground" weapon. I guess it's because it's calles "A-A GUN" in the stats files XD . But anyway, i think it's a flaw. Peoples that are really forced to spend their power into flaks research should not encounter a dead end in tech tree.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I really like the idea of having a heavy AP weapon somewhere around (apart from heavy laser, which is just very late), and it makes perfect sense inside the flak research branch.
zoid
Trained
Trained

Post by zoid »

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who wants the Cyclone back. :)

Iluvalar, your suggestion (option 4) sounds interesting. While there are plenty of anti-ground weapons that possess basic AA abilities, there are no AA weapons with secondary anti-ground capabilities. One problem I see with implementing this is choosing which weapon damage class to use.

If you go to the weapon guide -- http://guide.wz2100.net/w/ -- and look at the weapon damage table, you'll see that there are only 6 types of weapon damage. Currently, Anti-air weapons do Anti-Tank damage, so they would be great against vehicles but terrible against cyborgs. We probably would want AA to do more damage to cyborgs than tanks, though.

We could either tweak one of the damage classes or create a new one. The latter option may be more difficult than it sounds, however. If you have ideas (or knowhow) about which weapon class to tweak or how to add a new one, please reply.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I've mentioned this in private:
Zarel wrote:I'll try to compile a list here of all the changes I was planning before I left:

- Bring back the Cyclone (under its old ID) and move Flak Cannon to a new ID

I originally planned for Flak to use Cyclone's model and thus fully replace Cyclone, but since Olrox was kind enough to make a new model for Flak, the Cyclone's model is available to be used as it was originally. There's a pretty large distance between Hurricane and Whirlwind, anyway. It'll give us some leeway to vary up the Hurricane-line weapons, and maybe introduce an air-to-air version.
Option 3 sounds like a good idea to me, but the models make whirlwind look more like a flak weapon than a machinegun weapon.
zoid
Trained
Trained

Post by zoid »

Zarel wrote:Option 3 sounds like a good idea to me, but the models make whirlwind look more like a flak weapon than a machinegun weapon.
The Whirlwind has 2 fat blue barrels as opposed to the Hurricane and Cyclone's 4 thin greyish barrels, but it does have a white striped base like the other flak weapons. I think the Whirlwind could pass for an AA machinegun, but putting the Cyclone back where it was (option 1) is fine too.
zoid wrote:Are there any plans for bringing back the Cyclone?
It looks like there are. :wink:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Keep note that I am not currently a developer (my "Inactive" status means something entirely different from Buggy's "Inactive" status). I haven't heard a developer express interest in bringing back the Cyclone, so don't get your hopes up. :(
topo1948
Trained
Trained

Post by topo1948 »

Zarel, no matter your "Inactive" status.
I'm happy to hear from you again.
Your input and knowledge of the game and the way it should evolve.
It's good news for the community Warzone2100.
Welcome back!
:oops: I write here, because I have no idea how to start a new post. Sorry
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

topo1948 wrote:Zarel, no matter your "Inactive" status.
I'm happy to hear from you again.
Your input and knowledge of the game and the way it should evolve.
It's good news for the community Warzone2100.
Welcome back!
:oops: I write here, because I have no idea how to start a new post. Sorry
at the top of the main heading - start new topic... is same for all forums. :3 :)