DIY hmg viper wheels (papercraft)

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: DIY hmg viper wheels (papercraft)

Post by NoQ »

Bug Wheels Gauss Cannon, anyone?
Offtopic: i've seen a cheater once who started the game with a few mass driver* viper wheel tanks. Looked k00l.

Regular
Regular

Post by E-102 Gamma »

NoQ wrote:
Bug Wheels Gauss Cannon, anyone?
Offtopic: i've seen a cheater once who started the game with a few mass driver* viper wheel tanks. Looked k00l.

I've seen a few mods for the 1.x versions of Warzone 2100 that gave the players schematics for a few Viper Wheels tanks with the fortresses' turrets on them. "Acid Rain" mod or "ouchs" mod, to be exact.

They move hilariously slow at first because of how heavy the gigantic turrets are. :lol2:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Maybe I'll do a few more if people are interested. The problem with doing multiple components, however, is getting them to scale with each other.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Marthur
Greenhorn

Post by Marthur »

My childhood says thank you for making this papercraft :D Can you do the viper wheels truck?
UberCAKE
Greenhorn

Post by UberCAKE »

papertankpic1.png
papertankpic1.png (123.36 KiB) Viewed 14144 times
I used quite a bit of tape, and one part that's hidden by the wheels was missing because of sizing issues (I scaled it up because the original was really small).

How would I make these (the templates to be printed)?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I used blender for making it. I first converted the original models from .pie to .obj using WMIT, then opened the .obj files in blender and assigned the correct texpages to the material. I then used some paper model addon to generate the template. I think the script works a bit differently nowadays and it should be more automated.
ImageImage
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I tried the new paper model export for blender and it's pretty awesome. It even auto-generates tabs & stuff to a nice svg.
Check out the pdf for a printable version of the truck :)
Attachments
paper_truck.pdf
(134.93 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
ImageImage
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Made one of the command center too :)
Attachments
hq_lowpoly.pdf
(138.85 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
ImageImage
UberCAKE
Greenhorn

Post by UberCAKE »

Jorzi wrote:I used blender for making it. I first converted the original models from .pie to .obj using WMIT, then opened the .obj files in blender and assigned the correct texpages to the material. I then used some paper model addon to generate the template. I think the script works a bit differently nowadays and it should be more automated.
What is WMIT? I've done a lot of searching and all I have found is a radio station.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Warzone Model Import Tool.
It's not very well advertised on the warzone front page, but I think it's currently the best available app for modding warzone graphics.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/warzon ... ases/WMIT/ you can download precompiled builds there.
ImageImage
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

UberCAKE wrote:What is WMIT? I've done a lot of searching and all I have found is a radio station.
I'd strongly advice this forum's built-in search for such stuff (though i understand it wasn't obvious that the tool is local).
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I should probably increase the brightness on the textures, like I did with the hmg tank...
Attachments
paper_truck.JPG
paper_truck.JPG (100.45 KiB) Viewed 13998 times
ImageImage
UberCAKE
Greenhorn

Post by UberCAKE »

So, I've used WMIT to convert the .pie to a .obj, (by saving it as [filename].obj in WMIT), but when I try and import it in Blender, nothing happens.

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out I was just zoomed in too much to see the model :oops:

EDIT 2: How do I add the textures in Blender?
If you want to ask me something and get a timely response, join https://discord.gg/nCMDFQA and poke Kaiser Salty von Saltenburg.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Hi
You need to add a material in the material panel, and to the material you need to add a texture through the texture panel. The texture type should be "Image" and the mapping should be "UV". Then you load the correct image and by default, the texture should affect the diffuse colour. By default, the material will need a lamp and it will produce plastic-like reflections. If you just want to see the texture, you can check a box called "unshaded" in the material panel.
Note that the texture will not appear in "solid" and "wireframe" drawing modes, but you will need to switch to "textured" drawing mode.
If you want to know more about realtime materials, here is an ok video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We5NE5Zxi3w
ImageImage