Multiplayer release master-20110226 is now released!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.

Do you miss the random explosions from 2.3?

Yes
No votes
Only if it's your team is exploding
No votes
Only if it's the other team is exploding
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 16

Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Multiplayer release master-20110226 is now released!

Post by Cyp »

The Warzone 2100 Project staff bring you a new alpha build, master-20110226

This release can crash if using gates! A new release may be needed soon. But the previous release had the same bug, huh..? Maybe people are using gates more in this release..?

This release brought to you by: A bug in feature's clothing.

This build features the new netcode that everyone has been waiting for.
We eagerly await feedback for this alpha build!

NOTE: command line options now require a "=" before the parameter.
For example, --configdir=./blah

NOTE: For mac users: Support for 10.4 has been discontinued; using 10.6 is highly recommended as 10.5 does not support a sufficiently high OpenGL version for all types of GFX cards.

Main changes:
  • Loading games should work now.
  • A desynch fix related to deleting/modifying droid templates.
  • Research is no longer completely free.
  • Multiplayer scores are now displayed for everyone, instead of just being 0.
  • Ping is displayed in lobby screen (and not as 000).
  • Various bugfixes.
Known bugs:
This release hopefully contains no bugs.
When playing, it's likely to crash during the game if using gates and setting a lot of droids to patrol near the gates.

If you have problems with being kicked or with kicking everyone for "incompatible mods", deleting some maps (for example 8c-early3v3V3.wz) might help.

Please submit all bugs via this link, and follow the directions listed at the link, we need every bit of that information in order to fix bugs!

Downloads will be made available at our usual site:
Warzone 2100 file releases on Sourceforge.

Downloads:
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Re: Multiplayer release master-20110226 is now released!

Post by Iluvalar »

Cyp wrote: Known bugs:
This release hopefully contains no bugs.
I'm sorry to tell that but, kicking people that could experiment a bug with an " exit(1);" code. (Sorry you wont be able to play anymore because I want better graphics) is not what I call "no bugs". I'm affraid that if you leave too much people behind, players will stick together on the smaller common denominator which is the 2.3 version and every changes that was not graphical dependent will be lost with the rest of that master branch.

I know players that play on laptop or reused old computers by networking them together. They have FUN even with lower graphical capability. The worst thing on long term for all the community is two different uncompatible version of the same game.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath »

At first thanks for another improved release :)

But I recognised some untranslated english parts in the german version of Warzone2100:
http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/2502

So far I do not notice any game related bugs.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I know players that play on laptop or reused old computers by networking them together. They have FUN even with lower graphical capability. The worst thing on long term for all the community is two different uncompatible version of the same game.
I also believe that the new renderer can wait and that new netcode is more important and should be introduced first. Anyway, the devs don't seem to be in mood to maintain two graphic engines simultaneously, so a fork should be made when the new engine is stabilized, with the purpose of being network-compatible. That's my humble vision, and so far i'm in no position to implement it (:

Also, in this release we still have continuous power flow and not shooting through friendly buildings. Well, and the research is really fixed (:
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath »

Asgorath wrote:So far I do not notice any game related bugs.
I am sorry I have to revise this assertion but there are 3 bugs that I´ve recognised:

- Buildings get finished at 99% which means they are "damaged" after being build
- Tanks are driving around like being crazy
=> for details please see: http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/2503

-
Loading games should work now.
I am sorry but it does not work:
http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/2504
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

NoQ wrote:
I also believe that the new renderer can wait and that new netcode is more important and should be introduced first. Anyway, the devs don't seem to be in mood to maintain two graphic engines simultaneously, so a fork should be made when the new engine is stabilized, with the purpose of being network-compatible. That's my humble vision, and so far i'm in no position to implement it (:

Also, in this release we still have continuous power flow and not shooting through friendly buildings. Well, and the research is really fixed (:
I agree, strongly about the netcode getting back ported. If we're leaving people behind it'd be the nice thing to do :lecture:
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

I think there's no point in backporting the netcode, the result will be about the same as porting the old graphics to master, and more work. Splitting our currently available manpower would make progress even more slow, so our focus is on master, with the current renderer.