[DEVELOPMENT] Campaign 4 Development Thread

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

[DEVELOPMENT] Campaign 4 Development Thread

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Campaign 4 is set two years after the original Campaigns 1-3. From the synopsis:
The player and associated forces departed Gamma Base in two transports en route to the ruins of Los Angeles. Near the California-Nevada border, they entered the airspace controlled by an (as yet) unknown force. The two transports took heavy AA fire (Laser and SAM emplacements). Transport Two took evasive action but crashed two miles to the north. Transport One (carrying the initial player-controlled force) escaped the immediate area but crashed four miles downrange due to severe damage. Sensor data was routed to the player's Mobile Command Center (new vehicle, upgraded variant of a Command Turret that can show the minimap) before impact.

The player finds themselves with an underpowered force led by Tactical Sergeant Gibbs, the second-in-command. Having just crashed, they are in a bad state of affairs. The situation is made worse due to the missions' "Heavy Hitters" (Vengeance Gauss Cannon Tracks) and Construction Vehicles being on Transport Two. Transport One contained the Mobile Command Center, Tac. Sgt. Gibbs' Super Rail Gunner, a half-dozen Assault Gunners and three Repair Turrets. Normally this would be a suitable combat force, but without the Heavy Hitters and Construction Droids it becomes something much less effective.

The Transport *looks* like it could be repaired, and if time were on their side they *could* have restored it to working order -- but the forces that brought them down are already converging on their location, as they are being helped by the Scavengers at a nearby base. The player must withdraw to a safe location immediately, and abandon the Transport, or be destroyed.
Estimated date of release: Targeted for winter 2011.

This should prove to be an interesting and (hopefully) pleasant departure from the Warzone 2100 of old. There is a tactics set that will allow you to succeed, but simply "rushing" the Scavengers will only get you killed.

The idea here is for the player to come up with the solutions in their own way. Each mission, and in some cases, even the individual bases will require a different approach. Not as a lesson in frustration, but rather to show more versatility and variety with your enemy.

Likewise the player will be forced at times to "hide" and to "run and gun". Mission 4 (for example) will require the player to "do as NEXUS would do". We're telling a story all the while.

I believe that Campaign 4 is, and will be, a fitting tribute and continuation of what Pumpkin Studios gave us all those years ago. This Campaign is dedicated to them - and I sincerely hope that the ex-Pumpkins, wherever they are now, and whatever role they played in making Warzone 2100, find it worthy as well.

----------------------
PROJECT STATUS:
----------------------

(19/9/2011)

- Missions 1-4 and 6 have scripts (alpha quality -- lots of little issues left to fix). Plan is to go over them with a fine-toothed comb once they're all "roughed out" to make them at least Beta quality.
- Mapping is at the bugfix and aesthetics phase.
- Custom audio needs to be finished.

[EDIT: Grammar. ]
[EDIT 2: Updated.]
[EDIT 3: Updated.]
[EDIT 4: Updated.]
[EDIT 5: Added Status section.]
Last edited by Goth Zagog-Thou on 20 Sep 2011, 02:47, edited 6 times in total.
CinC
Trained
Trained

Re: Community-developed "Campaign 4". Any interest?

Post by CinC »

I think the idea sounds funny. If you are able to tell the story further so do it.... I would be glad to test it.
Spik3d
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Spik3d »

I'd be interested, but there seems to be a lot of hassle with making a singleplayer campaign.
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

I can do some of the scripting, I still haven't come up with a good way of making Cam AIs yet but the rest I can do. Just make the maps.

I can start writing the script outlines without a map but I will need the map before I get too far.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Spik3d
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Spik3d »

I can create maps, textures (if they're needed - a new tileset would be interesting, though I don't know how to implement one), and I know some scripting. I also came up with a similar possible storyline:

A scavenger colony in the East discovers an abandoned NASDA base and begins research of its artifacts. Command intercepts messages to and from their HQ and their recon force about sending artifacts back to be researched. It is unknown if the Nexus Intruder Program is dormant on the powered down systems. Your mission is to determine if it is, and if so, prevent its activation.

By the time you arrive on scene, they've already formed a formidable team and do not welcome your presence. The first mission includes building a base and defending it. The second would include preventing the enemy team from retrieving an artifact from one of NASDA's forward bases and researching the artifact for any evidence of the intruder program. Your research determines the intruder program was present in that facility at some time and may be dormant in some of the other NASDA facilities in the region.

They eventually activate the intruder program after several missions and Nexus takes over the base you were about to attack (didn't start the attack yet though). The enemy team was able to prevent the complete take over of their forces, but now they're more interested in defeating Nexus than The Project. Then you could form an alliance with them to defeat Nexus, which could include saving and reinforcing the former enemy's main base which was one of NASDA's bases that hosts a laser satellite command post (which the former enemy was unable to research the codes for). Or you could use this to wipe out either Nexus or the enemy team then take on the remaining team 1v1.

Thoughts? This would be up for any changes, of course.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

a new tileset would be interesting, though I don't know how to implement one
It is possible, and it's rather easy with the new renderer.
Just make the maps.
I can make maps too (: Still, we'd have to see the complete story before we start making maps.
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

A good story will be the first thing to be done.

The maps, the scripts ... all depend on the framework of the story.

I think "Nexus is back" ( :twisted: ) should be the central theme but I'm not very good at writing so I'll leave it up to some one else.

One thing that will be needed that no one has mentioned yet is FMVs. Some kind will be needed, if only simple text slide shows.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Hi everyone.

I put things on the back-burner while waiting for votes in the affirmative. Glad to see there's some interest after all. :3 I look forward to working with you all on this.

First things first, we'll need the blessing of the Dev team. Then we can hash out the storyline and the particulars.

FMV's would be nice. I've screwed around a bit with Blender, but not to the extent of animating anything. Maybe it's a good time to learn (and Blender is free :P ).

I'd post more but it's 4am and I'm beat. Check you fine folks tomorrow.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:First things first, we'll need the blessing of the Dev team.
I'm not sure how to do a blessing, nor why you would want one. Just blaze ahead.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote: .....

FMV's would be nice. I've screwed around a bit with Blender, but not to the extent of animating anything. Maybe it's a good time to learn (and Blender is free :P ).

Machinima could work very well (esp. now with the New Terrain Renderer & the AR Team's Models)..... interleaved with simply animated stills like SAT maps w/ intel blips, scrolling text with voice-over, classic cinematic camera FX with still cuts and such. :3

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:
First things first, we'll need the blessing of the Dev team. Then we can hash out the storyline and the particulars.
For sure, otherwise known as leadership 101. A genuine public gesture of interest and support is a mighty powerful motivator over the long-haul which in turn fosters all sorts of jaw-dropping synergies. :wink: (The opposite would be the attrition of nothing proffered which is commonly translated as "Ho-hum...we don't really give a chit - do whatever..." aka, a typical leadership vacuum.)

Based on what they have already accomplished in other solo efforts, those who have expressed an interest here so far have the "right stuff" to pull this off, IMO. 8) Of course, working together effectively raises the stakes to a considerably higher level than working solo & that in itself is the great challenge of communication that is timely, clear, respectful and reflects a common stewardship for the project. (A variant of the Scrum Framework for development could possibly be of use in this regard.) :ninja:

Within my understanding of what CAM crafting entails across the board, there is no doubt several of you have already expressed a clear handle on the foundational importance, from the get go, of agreeing upon a generative base storyline. At the risk of over-stating the obvious, it is directly from that generative base storyline that you will derive all the particulars that become the artfully structured sequence of mission scenario challenges upon which you will build all your integrated maps, scripts, & intensely compelling, interactive, narrative continuity. :3

I truly wish you all the best. :D Such an effort has been close to my heart since a few months after retail release, as some o'l timers know. Had I not moved on to a VRG dev project to open the New Year, I would have gladly contributed here. 8)

- Yebo, sanibonani, RV :hmm:
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 28 Feb 2011, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
eZAK
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eZAK »

I think a new campaign is a great Idea! :)

I hope the more knowledgeable here can make this endeavor a reality!

I would like to offer my 2 cents on a story line.

For starters, Campaign 4 should be called "Delta".
(following the previous laid out Greek alphabet)

At the start of Delta 1 the commander and his MBG are to establish a base and secure the perimeter.
You then must locate and R&D all artifacts currently held by the highly evolved and extremely dangerous ......
Humanoid Underground Dwellers! H.U.D.
(Which is how they survived several nuclear blasts)

"Commander! Your main objective for Delta base is to secure the technology for the Omega device and prevent it's use."
"Commander! If you fail, The Omega device will detonate underground causing Earth to drop from it's current orbit rendering the planet uninhabitable!"

Possible locations for this campaign could be;
1] Yellowstone National Park, WY. (Great terrain options and plenty of pitfalls)
2] Badlands, SD. (Another area with a surreal terrain setting)
3] A bombed out Las Vegas, NV.

Possible new vehicles and etc;
1] Earth remover laser - turret
2] Digger - tracks
3] Excavator - body
4] Ground penetrating Radar - turret
5] Ground penetrating bombs
6] Tunnel machine
7] New underground buildings and defenses

Just a thought :D

That's all I have for now.
If I think of anything else I'll add to it.
"The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams......"
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Thanks for being patient everyone. My (now) EX-girlfriend destroyed my computer two weeks ago via carelessness (death by liquids!). At least my hard drives didn't get zapped as well, so none of the data I had been working on was lost.

Thanks Rman for the kind and thoughtful post. You've always been one of the good ones. :D I agree that the community possesses the know-how, creativity and brainpower to make something like this work.

Indeed, this is going to be Team Delta. I think we all agree on that.

Location MUST be interesting. I like the Death Valley area on the California/Nevada border, Yellowstone would make an awesome location as well. So would the Badlands of S.D. Decisions, decisions. This being a democracy, lets have a vote. I'll edit the first post to start a vote (if I can) once we've got more choices to decide from. Once we decide the locale, we'll be in a better position to decide everything else.

Cheers!
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Glad this isn`t dead yet, I`m still ready to write scripts if someone makes the story and maps :wink:
- Demigod Game Ganual
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I know blender pretty well, and I might be able to help out a bit in that area if needed. I can do models,textures and basic animation, as long as someone is able to export it into warzone.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-