Target Selection

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Target Selection

Post by Bethrezen »

hi all

as it stands right now we already have some controls to define how we want a units to react when we are not controlling them do we want them to persue units do we want them to hold position do we want them to attack from close range etc

however there was one very important control they left out Target Selection now in most games this is unnecessary because there weapons are very generalized however Warzone takes the opposite approach and each weapon system is specialized to a specific type of target this makes for more interesting game play but it does introduced one slight problem controlling what targets these specialized units favor when not being controlled by the player

at the moment units will just randomly attack targets withing range with no care for what its weapon is designed to do a good example of this is bunker busters firing these at units if futile as they are not intended to taking out enemy units and will do little to no damage so what i would like to propose is a new button be added to the command console that will let the player set target selection priories

so for example say I build a squad of Vtols armed with Bunker busters and I set them to patrol over an area filled with bunkers and hard points I want to remove by default if I'm not controlling the units the computer will just randomly select a target from though within range and attack

this is fine if the area in question only contains structures but what if the area also contains enemy units ? well at the moment the vtol squad will also attack the enemy units obviously this behavior is just stupid because bunker busters are not designed for damaging units and will therefore for do little to no damage resulting in it taking much longer to take down an area then it should unless you are one of these people that like to micro manage everything

therefore would it not be better to have a switch that will tell the units in question what targets it should favor and which it should ignore if any of you have ever player dawn of war you should have some idea of the sort of think I'm talking about

I see this switch having 3 settings

default setting attack everything
this is how things are now and this setting will cause the effected units to attack any enemy units or structure within range

the 2nd setting would be attack units only
This setting would cause affected units to only attack other enemy units and ignore enemy structures completely this setting would be good for say a group of lancer tanks which are designed for taking on other vehicles not structures

the 3rd settings would be attack structures only
This setting would cause affected units to only attack enemy structures and ignore enemy units this setting would be good for artillery units for example who's weapons are designed for taking out enemy structures not units

you could get more technical and add sub types as well but that would require more work and i don't think it would really add much so i think the 3 basic controls described would be sufficient

obviously this should only apply to the units behavior when not being controlled by the player how units function when being controlled by the player would remain unchanged

what ya think ?