A Shortcut Button for Nicknames in the Game Chat

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

A Shortcut Button for Nicknames in the Game Chat

Post by Merowingg »

Hello Gentlemen :)

The idea occured to me long time ago when I wanted to refer to someone in game with a difficult nick..

I have met people with nicks like 938493489 or kfzodldif :) and it is their right to call themself so :) but !!

Try to refer to them during the game.. it is a hell..

My idea is as follows.. maybe one button can be used to automatically type the whole name of the player ?? like on irc channel..

One type for example 9 or kf and press "`" or "tab" and the whole nickname is automatically finished into 938493489 or kfzodldif :)

It would save a lot of time.. and confusion.. which could be used instead to type what we really want to say, not focusing on typing this sophisticated nicknames..

I have noticed people sometimes type "hey iruivjnidihe research !" and kfzodldif is asking "are you talking to me ??" or the players say after that the person who typed first "are you crazy??"...

I think also nicknames should highlitle slightly when you I mean the person who other speak about or to is mentioned by the others :)

For example sometimes some chat a lot and suddenly they refer to me, but i didnt notice as I didnt read all becuse they talked for half an hour what did they had for breakfast ;)

I want also to add that 938493489 and kfzodldif are fictional characters :) and all similarity is accidental :)

It could also be used in lobby :)

Bye :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
macuser
Regular
Regular

Re: A Shortcut Button for Nicknames in the Game Chat

Post by macuser »

Yes I can see what you mean. I agree bout finishing the persons name but i think an easier way of "pinging" the person would be a "quick chat" where you have prerecorded messages that can be sent using a key shortcut.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Hello macuser :)

Well I am not sure what do you mean by "quick chat" can you please paraphraze or say in other words what do you mean by that ??

Thank you in advance :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
NEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by NEXUS »

Yes this would be a good addition, as I have had the same problem Mero, with some of my teammates having had to remember names lol.
My nicknames - Mattbrit -> TankMaster -> Dr Reed -> ??? :)
brakenfur
Trained
Trained

Post by brakenfur »

i am all for it it happnes to me all the time by the time i got the name right the thing i wanted them to do is over like if say (insert name here) help me i am all ready died
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Merowingg wrote:Hello macuser :)

Well I am not sure what do you mean by "quick chat" can you please paraphraze or say in other words what do you mean by that ??

Thank you in advance :)
this kinda thing
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

Merowingg wrote:My idea is as follows.. maybe one button can be used to automatically type the whole name of the player ?? like on irc channel.
As you might already know you can send a private message to the player by pressing enter for chat then typing the number of the player, then the message. So if you type 3 research more, only player 3 will see the message "research more".

Perhaps per your suggestion it could be added that if you type P3 it will be a public message to all players including the players name, "kfzodldif research more".
macuser wrote:Yes I can see what you mean. I agree bout finishing the persons name but i think an easier way of "pinging" the person would be a "quick chat" where you have prerecorded messages that can be sent using a key shortcut.
You can already do this but is limited to 5 phrases up to 79 bytes. You press enter for chat then press F1 to F5 depending on which phrase you want to send. You set up the phrases you want in your config file. Warzone documentation warns against using this, that it may not work correctly. I have used this function for a long time and never had any problem.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Well I did not know about that ;) but also usually a quick chat has a prerecorded sound that plays that "reads" the message so the player can hear even if he does not look at the chat.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

macuser wrote:Well I did not know about that ;) but also usually a quick chat has a prerecorded sound that plays that "reads" the message so the player can hear even if he does not look at the chat.
I like your menu suggestion but only see one possible problem with voice files. What about lag? There were changes made not to long ago that keep the game in sync by reducing the frequency of sending non vital information (or not sending it at all).

If you talking about something that is stored and not transmitted then disregard what I said :)
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

well it's part of the client... when someone hits the button it just would send a signal to the other players over chat (kinda like smileys on forum) which if it is one of the preset messages would trigger the voice on their end.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Hello Gentlemen :)

NEXUS :) yes some of them are so difficult to memprize somehow..

brakenfur 54 :) yes, very good example

macuser :) at the place where I am supposed to look at there is "image" word only..

Bunker Blaster :) I feel sarcasm in your sentence about how the chat works.. :) but what if all players are on main ?? and also if the message is seen by at least all teammates they know that one player is worse at research and observe him if he follows up, and maybe even appropriately change tactics..

I do admit I dint know about F1 - F5 option.. but as it may not work correctly..

Gentlemen I do think shortcouts and highlighting for nicknames would make chat much better

And smileys, are sometimes more expressive than the whole sentence in some situations..

Bye :)

Regards - Mero
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

Merowingg wrote:Hello Gentlemen :)
Bunker Blaster :) I feel sarcasm in your sentence about how the chat works.. :)
There was no sarcasm. I only tried to explain how it works. In essence the sarcasm was just delivered to me decorated with smiley faces.
Merowingg wrote:but what if all players are on main ??
Are you asking what if all phones are turned on? Yes if all phones are turned on and you press enter for chat then type the number of the player followed by your message, then only that one player will see the message.
Merowingg wrote: and also if the message is seen by at least all teammates they know that one player is worse at research and observe him if he follows up, and maybe even appropriately change tactics..
The "research more" was just an example, not a strategy. Your reading to much into it. The Intent was how chat works, not the content of the message.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

There was no sarcasm. I only tried to explain how it works. In essence the sarcasm was just delivered to me decorated with smiley faces.
Ok I understand :) sorry for acusation :)
Are you asking what if all phones are turned on? Yes if all phones are turned on and you press enter for chat then type the number of the player followed by your message, then only that one player will see the message.
Well I know about that too :) what I wanted to know is that what i want all players to be on, and see what I type, but only mentioned one is highlighted :) such situation might be needed or intended for multiple reasons :) but I know at the same time the way it is used now is good or even enough.. but still..

I do know the system used now irs really good, but the thing i described, in ambiguous way.. might be a nice feature..

Regards - Mero
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Again with premeditation I move my idea a little bit up :)

Support needed :)

Regards - Mero