New (turret)laser effects??

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
DRAAK
Trained
Trained

Re: New (turret)laser effects??

Post by DRAAK »

macuser, thanks for a compliment. :D
Saberuneko
Regular
Regular

Post by Saberuneko »

LZ compromised wrote:Well as far as colors go, realism can and should be sacrificed in favor of visual clarity. When you see a laser in a fight, you want to be able to tell what unit it's coming from without a moment's thought.

So, red for commanders (as suggested by cinematics after Alpha 5), blue for flashlights, green for pulse lasers and, um, purple (?) for heavy lasers.
Yes yes! Purr-pley for heavy lasers!! Why not?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

YEAH!!! a very very DEEP PURPLE!!!! :lol2: :lol2: cookie to the one that makes sense of what i just said.
LZ compromised
Trained
Trained

Post by LZ compromised »

Yeah, and whenever a heavy laser fires on a map that has water, there would also be smoke on it ;)
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
—Bill Cosby
Saberuneko
Regular
Regular

Post by Saberuneko »

lav_coyote25 wrote:YEAH!!! a very very DEEP PURPLE!!!! :lol2: :lol2: cookie to the one that makes sense of what i just said.
You mean that Deep Purple's music sound when firing the purr-ple lasers?
I want my cookie. :3
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Saberuneko wrote:
lav_coyote25 wrote:YEAH!!! a very very DEEP PURPLE!!!! :lol2: :lol2: cookie to the one that makes sense of what i just said.
You mean that Deep Purple's music sound when firing the purr-ple lasers?
I want my cookie. :3

just for knowing you get the cookie. :lol2: YEAH!!! Smoke On The Water!!!! awesome. :lecture:
DRAAK
Trained
Trained

Post by DRAAK »

O_o *Female voice* WARNING! *alarm* Offtopic is detected...
XD :lol2:
coppercore
Trained
Trained

Post by coppercore »

DRAAK wrote:O_o *Female voice* WARNING! *alarm* Offtopic is detected...
XD :lol2:
Hilarious! :lol2:

I think something like that would be nice. Insta-hit beams instead of pulses, but you have to consider how long said coding would take.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

At least the graphics wouldn't be hard to make :)
I guess the main problem with the current system is making a beam which is the right length and doesn't move.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
LZ compromised
Trained
Trained

Post by LZ compromised »

Jorzi wrote:At least the graphics wouldn't be hard to make :)
I guess the main problem with the current system is making a beam which is the right length and doesn't move.
What are the engine limitations on fire rate, projectile size and projectile speed?

You could try something that the original dev team did: making a very fast, very rapid stream of very small bullets that also glow. Take it far enough and it'll look like a continuous line (albeit it will "bend" when the turret rotates).

Of course, if the current commander turret's "laser" is the best the engine can offer, another workaround will have to be found.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
—Bill Cosby
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Well the trucks have a beam of sorts..... maybe those could be retooled and some of the same code used for lasers :geek:
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

That's true, it might just have what we need :)
ImageImage
zamaszysty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zamaszysty »

macuser wrote:Well the trucks have a beam of sorts..... maybe those could be retooled and some of the same code used for lasers :geek:
Those beams are just new surfaces in 3d render created by selefting on constant point in the truck and rapidly changing points in the built structure (i'm guessing its totaly random). It COULD work is there was a simple modification by making in the game code point 1 = point 2 instead of 2 random selections we would have one and thats the only difference, but as i look closer its only the area in the new triangle filled with blue, so i don't know if it also colors the edges or not. IF not than You can't make laser effects put of it, or there would be a LOT more code to change (but still not that much tho...).

Anyway ... i think Your idea is the simplest of all possible. AND it would also look cool if we would keep the random selsction of points, so enemy tanks would bi hit in different parts like tracks, hull and weapon, which COULD be used in future to make "hit zones" in every vehicle (like tracks hit immobilise the unit, gun hit disables weapons, and hull hit affects the HP).
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Unfortunately, the truck beam is a huge hack that has no relation to projectiles or combat of any sort.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Per wrote:Unfortunately, the truck beam is a huge hack that has no relation to projectiles or combat of any sort.
I was afraid you would say that :/
So essentially one would need to code in a new "beam" type projectile which is essentially a billboard that stretches from the turret to the target, right?
ImageImage