Global map color adjustment

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
NoQ
Special
Special

Global map color adjustment

Post by NoQ »

Just had an idea. Maybe it's possible to include some extra parameters like "brightness" or "contrast" or "color temperature" into the map, that adjust its terrain's texture color. If it's not too hard and resource-consuming, i'd really like to see something like that implemented in v3.0. This could increase the variety of the maps we can make even further.

I know that a game-wide brightness slider was discussed and rejected, but that's not it. I'm talking about a mapwise brightness adjustment made by the map maker. And it will only affect terrain, not buildings or controls. For example, I know that the urban landscape is supposed to be dark and depressing, but i still want to make a green and shining urban landscape. Something like this:
current, adjusted
Jonix
Trained
Trained

Re: Global map color adjustment

Post by Jonix »

The adjusted does look much better.
"All they who take thy sword, shall perish with thy sword"
"There is no good or evil, there is only power!"
Jonix
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Well, i can at least see something on it ...
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

NoQ wrote: I know that the urban landscape is supposed to be dark and depressing, but i still want to make a green and shining urban landscape.
that changes the game mood from dark and depressing to lighter and calm so why you do that in a war game?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Another idea is to allow the map maker to change the position and intensity of the light source (a.k.a. the Sun). This can probably be done as a wzscript function (we already have setRain(bool) and setSnow(bool) functions, so why not?) and then used from within map-mods.
why you do that in a war game?
To add more diversity. Aren't rocky mountains lighter and calm than urban?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I support this. I already tried to manually adjust the sun colour/intensity in the shader, but that only affects the models and not the terrain, which makes things look weird.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

:hmm:
Well, doing it globally won't work very well, since it would mess with all the other textures as well.
Doing specific textures would require much more work, and WZ's resource system blows chunks.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

All we need is a terrain shader that can take a few variables, like the model shader currently does. Once I get a bigger chunk of free time, I will look into it.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Oh, right, shaders. I was thinking of 2.X for some odd reason.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.