Cheaters IPs.

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Re: Cheaters IPs.

Post by JDW »

bendib wrote:Well you would boot me if you knew it was me. How else?
I had made a suggestion to you on the IRC channel as to how you could go about earning your respect back with the online gamers. It's an open source project, as you already know very well, and this means that contributions, like patches, are welcome. But you told us that you're not familiar enough with Warzone's code to do this.

So I have another suggestion for you. As Zarel mentioned earlier, whatever you did was effectively modding. So why not take the trouble to make mods instead with all these neat features that you said some people enjoyed, and then have them posted in the Modding section of the forum?

This is how you should have gone about introducing the changes that you are capable of doing to the community. I still can't understand why you did that by joining online games to display those cheats.

Simply posting a mod on the forum and asking the community to try it with you would seem like the most proper manner in sharing this with the community. You seem like you know a lot about what is going on in the community (you mentioned a reference to Dylan's apology that happened quite some time ago), and I find it strange that you couldn't figure this part out. O_o
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I found a helpful use for having cheats enableable! I started a crusty half-assed version of my cheat version of 2.3.5 intending to use flying trucks in skirmish, I did, and eventually ended up in a supposedly legitimate multiplayer game. Well, one of the players named gr showed up with 150 cyborgs 5 mins in, and with host permission, I pwned him. This might keep things even, some guys who write for warzone posing as normal users, and pwning cheaters with their own games. Well? Waddaya think? Just pick some people to play casually and hit cheaters back hard.
Last edited by bendib on 26 Sep 2010, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
Also known as Subsentient.
Germanium
Trained
Trained

Post by Germanium »

Ok, i was not aware of that. If its fixed it is fine. So then discard my point about this feature.
It is not knowledge, but the act of learning, not possession but the act of getting there, which grants the greatest enjoyment. - Carl Friedrich Gauss
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I have told you before, though I would happily do this if I had the skill, my knowledge is insufficient for fixing bugs in code as complicated as warzone.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

bendib wrote:This might keep things even, some guys who write for warzone posing as normal users, and pwning cheaters with their own games.
So you want everyone to have 'enableable' cheats in MP to get back at real cheaters? Is that your solution on how to deal with the cheaters? Again, O_o

You do know that the number of accusations being made against players of being a cheater is much higher than the actual number of cheaters, don't you? Do you see where i am going with this? :)
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:
bendib wrote:This might keep things even, some guys who write for warzone posing as normal users, and pwning cheaters with their own games.
So you want everyone to have 'enableable' cheats in MP to get back at real cheaters? Is that your solution to get back at cheaters? Again, O_o

You do know that the number of accusations being made against players of being a cheater is much higher than the actual number of cheaters, don't you? Do you see where i am going with this? :)
I have said that there should be a few people selected who are trustworthy and could likey tell if someone is a true cheater. Senior members in a sense. Giving everyone cheats is a horrible idea. Choose people like DFM and Archangel who don't think someone is cheating just because their opponent beat them. See where I am going with this? WZ is open source, so we cannot really block them, and kick them and they just go wreck another game. Ruin their fun, maybe you will have luck.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

bendib wrote:I have said that there should be a few people selected who are trustworthy and could likey tell if someone is a true cheater. Senior members in a sense. Giving everyone cheats is a horrible idea.
So you're saying that only selected senior members should be given the ability to cheat so that they can pwn the cheaters? I'm pretty sure that none of the most respected online players would like to use cheats against cheaters if they were given that option. Why not? Just see what happened to your reputation in WZ's online gaming community. Oh, and these skilled players that you are talking about have pwned many cheaters without using a single cheat. :wink:

Anyway, now how about making those mods for us?
-- Ambrose Bierce
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:
bendib wrote:I have said that there should be a few people selected who are trustworthy and could likey tell if someone is a true cheater. Senior members in a sense. Giving everyone cheats is a horrible idea.
So you're saying that only selected senior members should be given the ability to cheat so that they can pwn the cheaters? I'm pretty sure that none of the most respected online players would like to use cheats against cheaters if they were given that option. Why not? Just see what happened to your reputation in WZ's online gaming community. Oh, and these skilled players that you are talking about have pwned many cheaters without using a single cheat. :wink:

Anyway, now how about making those mods for us?
Well, it was worth a thought. As far as mods go, I have made some good maps like DesertRiver and ArizonaBlend. Some of my earlier ones were crap though.

EDIT: Oh! I see what you mean! I will publish the less-funky pieces of my source code on the forums. People will enjoy flying trucks. I want to publish my ability to put buildings near each other, but it also includes the ability to make oil derricks out of nothing, so I will not. I should mention that I did not write the code for the flying trucks at all, and everything else that was done was after looking through cheats for 2.3.3 and appending the features to current source by hand.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I have now published the design.c for vtol trucks and sensors:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6554

EDIT: Coyote has deleted the source file. Don't bother reading the thread.
m1ndgames
Trained
Trained

Post by m1ndgames »

and this is why warzone needs a userDB... to keep rats like this guy here out
chekwob
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chekwob »

m1ndgames wrote:and this is why warzone needs a userDB... to keep rats like this guy here out
Yeah since that works so well for other games...
Thin ice is the most exciting when you swing at it with a pickaxe.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

m1ndgames wrote:and this is why warzone needs a userDB... to keep rats like this guy here out
Rats are misunderstood, and neither of us expect to be understood either. :-)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

enuff of the name calling. perhaps we can use the knowledge. just unsure of how to go about it. personaly, i could say to take out all cheats fron the game. dunno if that would work. ideas anyone?? lets use this for progress instead of slowing down and getting stalemated. :3
WarTux
Trained
Trained

Post by WarTux »

lav_coyote25 wrote:personaly, i could say to take out all cheats fron the game. dunno if that would work. ideas anyone??
NOT a smart idea. Cheats are a lot more useful for things other than, well, cheating, you know. ;)

I think the in-game banning feature was a step in the right direction, but clearly that wasn't enough.

I don't agree with any use of cheats over multiplayer at all, regardless of whether or not permission was obtained. It's unfair and immoral. That's all I'll say.
Warzone nicknames: WarTux[BDC], ChuckNorris-BDC, DeathStar, etc.
Part of the Black Dragon Clan; apply today, we welcome most! :3
On the Warzone IRC channel you can find me hanging out with the BDC dudes or messing with the bot.
chekwob
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chekwob »

lav_coyote25 wrote:personaly, i could say to take out all cheats fron the game. dunno if that would work.
Nope, that wouldn't fix a thing. If someone wanted the cheats they could just reimplement them, since they're handled client-side anyway.
Thin ice is the most exciting when you swing at it with a pickaxe.