Super Fortresses

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
marsbound2024
Trained
Trained

Super Fortresses

Post by marsbound2024 »

I think the super fortresses in the game look downright silly. If we don't get rid of them altogether, I think they could use a serious redesign to make them look halfway realistic. They look like a caricature of a weapon more than an actual fortress. Also, in a post-apocalyptic world, I don't think they'd look anything like this. Perhaps instead of one massive weapon, they should have various weapons on them. Or, if they just have one, it shouldn't be so cartoonishly massive.

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Super Fortresses

Post by Zarel »

If you don't like how they look in a graphics mod, you shouldn't use a graphics mod. Fortresses don't look like that in the base game.
marsbound2024
Trained
Trained

Post by marsbound2024 »

I just found that screenshot via Google, which links it back to this site in another thread. But from the old days like patch 1.12, I thought there were fortresses that looked very similar to that with the big gun on top. Were fortresses changed around to look different or do they still have that big honkin' gun on top of four hardpoints?
Aftermath
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aftermath »

I don't like the look of the fortresses either and would prefer them to be taken out of the game (though if i had it my way every custom weapon ie. the 4th set of chassis, emp, vtol cyborg transport etc would all be taken out!).

As far as i can tell they are a normal weapon model and skin, enlarged (with no new texturing to compensate for the low res) and put on 4 hard points. The vanilla skins look no better than the modded ones (the moded ones do actually look better because of the new texturing).

On a side note, if anyone can point me to a version of warzone that doesnt have custom units that would be great.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I have a solution to that! I made a model some time ago for artrev that I think would solve your problem :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5340&start=105#p56708 read the rest of the forum topic for background :wink:

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

I have to say I agree.

The way the turrets look on most fortresses is atrocious. They almost look like cartoony toys.

Mainly the Cannon and Mass Driver fortresses, though to a smaller extant the Rocket Bastion. The Missile Fortress looks okay.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

There is always the super fortress that I made, it's a bit big though: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2516
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

I agree, standard fortresses look, dumb I esepecially thought so when they first came out, you get used to it I guess :?
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Mysteryem wrote:There is always the super fortress that I made, it's a bit big though: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2516
That thing is epic... the gun designs should be co-opted for the Mass Driver Fortress (If it's okay with you)
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Wibble199
Trained
Trained

Post by Wibble199 »

Mysteryem wrote:There is always the super fortress that I made, it's a bit big though: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2516
Was that ever released as a .wz mod?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it although I get an error while running it on 2.3.2. Which version was it designed for?
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

I agree :)

The fortresses look unreal especially the cannon..

I think a fortress, the fortress, should for example be the same size but have for example 5 miniturrets, at the edges and one in the centre :) but having the same firepower :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

small idea for the fortresses, why not have an operator inside? make it so that it wont work with out a cyborg inside,like a cyborg inside a transporter for example.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Well I think even ten cyborgs would manage to go inside :) the case is that especially cannon looks unreal :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero