My warzone is running very slowly...

Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: My warzone is running very slowly...

Post by DevUrandom »

Watermelon wrote: so wz is doing all these shadows calculations with cpu because of the relatively old render engine?
No, but pushing too much load/reload and whatnot on the gfx card can be slow, too.

I hope I have time in January, to fix all this...
suicideidiot123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by suicideidiot123 »

Hello again! ;D I have a couple more problems. 1. Warzone runs fine, but still has brief frame rate pauses. 2. I moved it from my dad's computer and onto mine (After waiting 3 hours to upgrade it to xp! :-[) i installed the update thing and moved it over on disc. It installed but when i ran it one of those error email things popped up. Ive tried everything but no good. Here are my specs(they are a bit embarasing...)

Aptiva/Ibm ????? 399 mhz proccesor 64.0 megabytes of ram.

3.85 gigabyte hard drive

windows xp

ati rage pro video card with... :-[... :-[... :-[...2.0 megabyte memory... :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

yeah its old school but it ran the demo just fine.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

suicideidiot123 wrote: Hello again! ;D I have a couple more problems. 1. Warzone runs fine, but still has brief frame rate pauses. 2. I moved it from my dad's computer and onto mine (After waiting 3 hours to upgrade it to xp! :-[) i installed the update thing and moved it over on disc. It installed but when i ran it one of those error email things popped up. Ive tried everything but no good. Here are my specs(they are a bit embarasing...)

Aptiva/Ibm ????? 399 mhz proccesor 64.0 megabytes of ram.

3.85 gigabyte hard drive

windows xp

ati rage pro video card with... :-[... :-[... :-[...2.0 megabyte memory... :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

yeah its old school but it ran the demo just fine.
64MB ram + windows xp is the problem
windows xp has too many pointless services running:exploits based on NT technology(tm) *cough* *cough*
and the GUI graphics just eat all your mem and a large portion of your cpu time(at least for your relatively old one),hence brief frame rate pauses.you better use win9x,which is less stable but much more faster than windows xp for old pc,and also immune to the latest viruses that are designed specifically for OSs based on NT technology.  ;D
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
C01eMaN
Trained
Trained

Post by C01eMaN »

suicideidiot123 wrote: yeah its old school but it ran the demo just fine.
the demo requred less specs the new wz needs a better pc untill they optimise all the code and make it run nicely once again
Im Addicted To Warzone!!!!!!!
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Demo? Are we talking about the 1.10 or the 2.0 version?

2MB VRAM is _very_ probably not enough for 2.0, as the tilesets alone take about 12MB in VRAM.
This could perhaps be improved if the textures were S3TC compressed, but that wouldn't work on older cards anymore (because older (pre GeForce/Radeon) hardware doesn't support that feature). (Won't work on most DRI (opensource) Linux drivers, either.)

And yes, WinXP is not very good for a machine with that specs. Stay with Win9x, that's better. (I just heard there are ppl who got WinXP to run on a 386 machine with a lot of patches and hacks. ;) It needed about an hour to show the start menu after you clicked the icon. :P )

WZ will run on Win9x, I think. (At least I think someone reported it does.) Even the install of the MSVC redist is easier, because you need less additional crap (SP2 or MSI3).
I'll try to improve future Windows support by compiling it on Linux. ;) (Not a joke. Crosscompilation on Linux is much easier for me than working around that MSVC dependencies.)
Last edited by DevUrandom on 17 Oct 2006, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

OT: GCC FTW! :D
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

Note that I have heard and seen reports of low frame rates or frame rate inconsistency on vista systems. Turning off shadows helps a bit but not completely. Also some vista users are not able to move the volume or options sliders... At least in game.
INTEL PENTIUM4 2.66GHZ PROCESSOR
2GB DUAL DDR PC3200 SDRAM
RADEON X1600 512MB AGP GRAPHICS CARD
WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SP2 OPERATING SYSTEM
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

You do realize your reviving an ancient topic ? Closing it for now.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh