Vote on the new textures!

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.

I prefer:

MaNGusT's textures (explain why)
50%
Gerard's textures (explain why)
18%
some of each (explain which ones, and why)
27%
no opinion
5%

Total votes: 56

NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Vote on the new textures!

Post by NoQ »

I don't like the uniform red that we get in Gerard's textures instead of a good mix of red, yellow and brown we have in the original game. This happens to Urban landscape a little too. That's the only thing i really don't like in Gerard's textures; apart from this, they're really good.
digt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by digt »

Hey stiv, I'm not an expert on this but I think the gamma situation has changed.

Mac OS 10.6 uses Gamma 2.2, the same as TVs and Windows OS, which is more accurate in dark situations but less accurate in bright areas.

This makes sense as most displays don't work very well in bright areas anyway and less people are working in the print industry where daylight correction is standard. Applications that have their color settings set up correctly, like Photoshop, compensate for differences in gamma.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

about the water and bottom textures. I've changed them a bit, now they are desaturated and bright.

I must mention that water shouldn't be transparent so much(around 50% at this moment, I think). It should be transparent 75% max.
http://image-host.ru/show.php/2753_wz21 ... 2.png.html
http://image-host.ru/show.php/2754_wz21 ... s.png.html
http://image-host.ru/show.php/2755_wz21 ... l.png.html
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

stiv wrote:Done on a Macintosh perhaps with the usual gamma issues when displayed on PC hardware?
Heh, it was done on my custom-built desktop with Windows 7 - Mac OS was not involved. I don't know about "gamma issues" - but since I'm running the most popular OS for Warzone under generic software, I'd assume even if it wasn't "correct" in some abstract sense, it's still important to optimize for.
hao wrote:Image
I don't like the uniform red that we get in Gerard's textures instead of a good mix of red, yellow and brown we have in the original game. This happens to Urban landscape a little too. That's the only thing i really don't like in Gerard's textures; apart from this, they're really good.
I agree - Mangust has better Arizona textures. I never liked how monotone Gerard's textures were in Arizona. I still think they should be lighter and more saturated, though.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Heh, it was done on my custom-built desktop with Windows 7 - Mac OS was not involved.
I meant the textures themselves. Not the screen shots.
Slye_Fox
Trained
Trained

Post by Slye_Fox »

I like MaNGusT's better.
They blend together well, and they (to me at least) have a gritty appearance, which I think suits WZ.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I like mangust's ground textures but not his water one - it's not transparent and it looks like it has no depth in other words the water has no "top" texture that you can see thru to the bottom
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

macuser wrote:I like mangust's ground textures but not his water one - it's not transparent and it looks like it has no depth in other words the water has no "top" texture that you can see thru to the bottom
MaNGusT wrote:I must mention that water shouldn't be transparent so much(around 50% at this moment, I think). It should be transparent 75% max.
I chose this water texture only because its "animation" looks better in game. If you like the old one, you can replace it anytime.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6133
stiv wrote:I meant the textures themselves. Not the screen shots.
They have the same brightness the original 2.3 textures have and sometimes even brighter and not so contrast. Just compare -> http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/1968/scrk.png
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

Don't you think that Arizona, Mountains and Urban textures from Mangusts set are quite similar to each other? When you look at Gerrard textures you can feel better that you are playing in the different areas. Zarel pointed out that some areas should be more corolful, i agree with him.

Arizona - I like Gerrard more. Nice cliffs, nice concrete. Mangust cliffs are not easily recognizable. Moreover, it's too depressing. Maybe I'm just used to this reddish look, but I'll not be happy if "red" is changed into "despair" (adding more colors would probably change this a little)

Mountains - I like Mangusts darker look, although once again the cliffs are better for Gerrard.

Very important question
Would it be possible to have more than 3 areas? Imagine for example that some Arizona maps are using Gerrard and some are using Mangusts textures. It would add a lot of variety to the game which i think would be perfect. Having only 3 areas is quite boring.
Example: Arizona Campaign. A few maps (including starting map) use Gerrard textures, while some "send transport" missions are using Mangusts textures. It would be awesome! (so much variety!)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I voted for Mangust's textures because they look just like the original but better, therefore I think they should be used on original maps based on the original tileset. On the other hand I think that Gerard's textures are excellent and I hope it would be possible to incorporate them as new tilesets that could be used for maps specifically designed for his textures.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

I think that the main question for this topic should sound like - What textures do fit the warzone's theme better? :hmm:

Warzone 2100 never was a colorful game but for those who want colorful game, the HDR post-processing (I mean saturation) can be added to the game code. :) (or they can go and play SC2,SupCom2, RA3, etc. :ninja: )
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

just wanted to ask Devs what do they think about the following:

Would it be possible to have more than 3 areas? Imagine for example that some Arizona maps are using Gerrard and some are using Mangusts textures. It would add a lot of variety to the game which i think would be perfect. Having only 3 areas is quite boring.
Example: Arizona Campaign. A few maps (including starting map) use Gerrard textures, while some "send transport" missions are using Mangusts textures. It would be awesome! (so much variety!)
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

well not the water though - water is always the same and only certain textures prob. But i think that it would be a pain for them to implement :( .
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

Zarel wrote:Screenshots:
Could you post a more close-up screenshot, too?

When I tried trunk, I liked the added detail in the textures, but I didn't like the plants, pieces of wood lying on the ground, etc. They look far too big, compared to the size of buildings and vehicles. I mean there are plants in these textures, that are nearly half as big as a tank. Considering that these plants are parts of the texture, not some other sort of objecvt they represent tiny plants, directly on the ground, plants, which IRL are small.
This makes warzone's vehicles and buildings look like children's toys on real ground.

Philipp
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

PkK wrote:Could you post a more close-up screenshot, too?
Buginator wrote: Builds with MaNGusT's textures: Windows | Mac | source tarball

NOTE: You can install these to different directories, in fact, that is the best way to handle it. Don't use the default directory. I would use c:\NewTextures and c:\OLDTextures or something like that.
Try this :wink: