Vote on the new textures!

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.

I prefer:

MaNGusT's textures (explain why)
50%
Gerard's textures (explain why)
18%
some of each (explain which ones, and why)
27%
no opinion
5%

Total votes: 56

Buginator
Professional
Professional

Vote on the new textures!

Post by Buginator »

Thanks to MaNGusT who made the textures in ticket #2013, we now need people to try the build that has these new textures in it. Thanks to cybersphinx for providing the Windows builds and dak180 for providing the Mac builds.

Builds with MaNGusT's textures: Windows | Mac | source tarball

Builds with Gerard's textures: Windows | Mac

Gerard's textures are what's currently in trunk (and not 2.3).

We need your feedback!

NOTE: You can install these to different directories, in fact, that is the best way to handle it. Don't use the default directory. I would use c:\NewTextures and c:\OLDTextures or something like that.
and it ends here.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Vote on the new textures!

Post by Zarel »

Screenshots:

MaNGusT:
mangust.png

Gerard:
trunk.png

These obviously don't show you all the differences, but they should give you some sort of idea.
Ryo
Trained
Trained

Post by Ryo »

I REALY like the new textures!
But now the Units now looks like drawn in a real world. Will there be new Textures for them either?
And now you recognaise the shadows looks like to razor-edged and not soft enough ,-)
(grumping end)

The new Textures are supercool!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

See, Buggy, this is why I didn't like calling trunk textures "old textures". People will think you're talking about 2.3 textures.

I've revised the poll so people who don't know the difference won't know which one to vote for.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Having checked out both, I'd say Mangust's are tons better in terms of pattern/texture, but worse in terms of color. They're too... dark and depressing.
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

Zarel wrote:They're too... dark and depressing.
I assume a post-nuclear world would be dark and depressing, I found the other textures (models inc.), too cheery.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Safety0ff wrote:I assume a post-nuclear world would be dark and depressing, I found the other textures (models inc.), too cheery.
Well... you don't want to go too far in either direction. I'd say somewhere in the middle between Mangust's colors and trunk's colors would be best.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

I like Gerard's textures much more, but I like Mangust's water and cliffs.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I'm not sure I like MaNGusT's water. It doesn't feel like the right shade of blue. I worked with Gerard for hours on that water and couldn't improve upon it.
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

Let me give some feedback regarding about these nice textures.

The voting was a little confusing, both textures are excellent, however, one kind of textures suited me better, and my vote goes to ManGust textures.

It looks more better if compared to the old branch textures (from 2.3) and much original than Gerard's textures, and because of the originality of ManGust well-made terrain, i choosed his textures.

I recommend for choosing the ManGust textures, because, since you can customize the terrain's textures much easily in trunk than in original branches (2.3), combined with ManGust high-quality original ones, it really rocks.

Example to explain better: 3.0 Beta 1 Released with ManGust new terrain textures. A modder can change the textures to another ones, like mixing both Gerards and ManGust textures, it's a option and a matter of taste for the player/modder.

Modders can customize the textures of the trunk if they're tired of the same terrain and want something new to give a new different breath.

Regards BP
Claydoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Claydoe »

I like Mangusts more due to several things:

- The colors suit the the post-nuclear event.
- The textures don't try to look too real. (Gerard's cliffs textures look kinda photo-ish)

I do like Gerard's water, but it seems too clear.
Mangust water looks like someone put too much blue water dye in... :P

They both look good but I would have to chose Mangust's. :3
Design - Deploy - Destroy
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Some of each.
I like Mangust's water and snow and Gerard's grass, dirt and concrete. Not sure about mountains, but probably Gerard's are better. I think that the Rocky Mountains tileset *must* be incredibly beautiful (after this horrible city ...), and i don't care about all these post-nuclear things. XD

That was just screenshot looking; i didn't try running the games yet.

By the way, how are these textures stored in the game? Is it easy to modify them (maybe just a little recoloring)?

upd: Just built the Mangust's version.

Arizona: I definitely like Mangust's version, though i'd still like to borrow Gerard's concrete and, probably, mountains. Gerard's water definitely suits here too. But Gerard's textures tend to remove all these "yellow" and "brown" zones, turning everything into a uniform red. That's not good.

Urban: Gerard's textures rock on this one, but i'd want them to keep the "blue" dirt areas, i.e. these should be taken from Mangust's (imho). I also liked Mangust's cliffs better. And i think that the water should be closer to poisonous-cyan in this tileset (which is not true for any of these tilesets).
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

I will definitely download and run the builds this weekend (assuming no problem), and have a look at each set.
But I will say that I think each tileset already has a different feel, and from the pics/comments, I think depending on the tileset, my vote would swing either way.

I think mountain should be "cheery". Its far away from the population centers where the nukes were targeted, its "wilderness".
As it is essentially rural are/wilderness, it should be the most insulated/buffered from the effects of a collapse of civilization/a post apocalyptic world- it need not obviously show that it is a post apocalyptic setting (the background/sky can hint at this though)

Urban- you are fighting in the middle of a destroyed city, where millions perished, dark and depressing is the theme.
It should definitely seem post apocalyptic.

Desert: OK, its a desert: bright side, plenty of sun, it shouldn't be dark and dreary, but it should be foreboding/somewhat inhospitable (since we are talking western US, it need not be like the Sahara, desert shrubs are ok).
As a tribute to road warrior (where it seems the inspiration for this setting/scavs was from), it should look post apocalyptic.
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

from the pictures zarel posted,
mangusts textures fit the whole post apocalyptic theme better, much better.
the snow texture looks much wore realistic to what you see of snow melting on rock too.

gerards textures look alot like empire earth & C&C generals textures to me, which i think is out of theme for WZ.

i will try & get some time this week to get a better look at them ingame
MOTHERBOARD - MSI P7N PLATINUM¦-¦PROCESSOR - C2D E7300 @ 4.00GHZ
MEMORY - 4 Gig (2x2gig) ddr2 1066mhz¦-¦OPERATING SYSTEM - WINDOWS 7 (ULT)
GRAPHICS - BFG GTX 260 OCX (requires ForceWare drivers for good openGL)
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Being too lazy to install the packages and judging purely by the screen shots, I like Gerard's better. The others look too dark. Done on a Macintosh perhaps with the usual gamma issues when displayed on PC hardware?