New feature: DROID'S SHIELD

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

New feature: DROID'S SHIELD

Post by DylanDog »

I was reading a book and got the inspiration for a new idea: droid's shield. I know this feature would required a big/huge work on the code but I think it is something which is worth to work on.

Shields should be used rarely to make them a feature to increase the game strategy (they should be used on desperate defence actions, on incursions on enemy bases, when attacking important enemy derricks...), I would not like to see them in all battles.
Shields should be applicable to droids only, not to structures.

How should they be implemented? we can discuss about it, I suggest the following way:

1-Shields can be used only when the Shield Technology (also a new fetaure) has been researched.

2-Shields Technology should be a late T1 technology.

3-Shileds can be upgraded to reduce "unloading time"(-20%, -30%, -40%), see below on point 6-7 -> "unloding time".

4-Shileds should offer a 100% protection against almost all weapons. Only few weapons (penetrating ones) should be able to penetrate them and to hit the target.

5-Shields have to be fully loaded before being activated.

6-Once activated cannot be deactivated and they start unloading.

7-"Loading time" should be slow (7-10 min?) and "unloading time" quick (20-30 secs).

8-Newly created droids should have their shield at 100% loaded.

what do you think???
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Verin
Trained
Trained

Re: New feature: DROID'S SHIELD

Post by Verin »

Im not sure...
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
Wibble199
Trained
Trained

Post by Wibble199 »

Me neither...
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

could be good, what do you mean by penetrating? like lasers and such? emp's should take out a shield v.fast, but while the shield is dwindling the droid should be fine to move, and should be later t2, just before lasers if possible.

maybe have it as a 'special' turret first? for scouting only? then other turrets that include shielding? low hp turrets with high shield i mean, then of course maybe a shield emitter type turret? puffing out a bubble to help defend tanks with no shield? could be another element of dun for long games ^_^
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Ehh, more micromanagement. That's honestly one of the things I don't like about StarCraft. I'll add mod support for it I wouldn't mind if mod support were added for it, but it's not something I want in the game itself.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Zarel wrote:Ehh, more micromanagement. That's honestly one of the things I don't like about StarCraft. I'll add mod support for it, but it's not something I want in the game itself.
Well, the game should get some kind of invulnerability...
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

We have this already https://sourceforge.net/projects/wzgrap ... i/download
Not quite the same as DylanDog has suggested but it maybe easy to modify to his suggestions of research ect.
Anyway this we just messing with the code mostly.

Regards Berg
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

Zarel wrote:Ehh, more micromanagement.
Not if we keep the loading time long enough.
Zarel wrote: I'll add mod support for it...
this would be great!!!
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

DylanDog wrote:
Not if we keep the loading time long enough.
That wouldn't change the fact that it would increase the amount of micromanagement you'd have to do.
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

I wonder how splash damage absorbing shields would work out in warzone (gameplay/balance wise).
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

- its always "micro management" or "balance issues" I understand that but there is no issue with this-
Perhaps create a body/turret that will emit the shield, produce it just like any other body. max of 1 or 2 available. ( just like the trucks limit) i dont see how that would add to micro management, just send it along with an army or position it at a base.

Use what is already in the game, upgrade it just like any other weapon, and produce it like one also. The only thing that wil need to be done is fabricating the turret/body itself, and creating the limit of these units.

What is your response to that?

If you call designing the shield unit and producing it micromanagement, then your a really lazy player.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Verin wrote:- its always "micro management" or "balance issues" I understand that but there is no issue with this-
Perhaps create a body/turret that will emit the shield, produce it just like any other body. max of 1 or 2 available. ( just like the trucks limit) i dont see how that would add to micro management, just send it along with an army or position it at a base.

Use what is already in the game, upgrade it just like any other weapon, and produce it like one also. The only thing that wil need to be done is fabricating the turret/body itself, and creating the limit of these units.

What is your response to that?

If you call designing the shield unit and producing it micromanagement, then your a really lazy player.
Erm, designing and producing a shield unit would not be micromanagement at all, but that's not what this thread is about. This thread is about a shield with a long cooldown disappears after a short time. You can feel free to start a new thread for a shield that doesn't disappear after a short time, but please do not derail an existing thread with off-topic discussion.

The problem with managing a shield with a long cooldown and a short activation period is that you either have to activate the shield manually (micromanagement), or the shield activates once the cooldown ends (in which case you'd have to micromanage it so that the cooldown ends right when you need the shield the most).
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

perhaps the cool-down is unnecessary? i dont see any need for it :|
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Roux Le Corps wrote:perhaps the cool-down is unnecessary? i dont see any need for it :|
...with no cooldown, you could keep on activating the shield and no one's units would ever die...
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

what if it was a damage reducer? a buff effect even?

*edit* or even a secondary health bar? with certain weapons negated on it and others unaffected?