New created weapon wont work.

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
martin83
New user

New created weapon wont work.

Post by martin83 »

Okay, this is my first post and first endeavor in creating a mod. I have attempted to create a new weapon. I have put it into the game. I am able to research it and build it, but after I build it I can not use it. I have attempted to create a new missile type weapon with more range than the missile fortress and more damage as well, but as I said after I build the weapon I can not use it. I want the weapon to work in a similar manor to the Laser Satellite Center where I click the target and then it is hit with a salvo of missiles.

Ok here is the mod i have been working on.
DCMS.wz
(155.55 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
Now I need to learn to edit and create the design of the weapons.
Last edited by martin83 on 02 Aug 2010, 20:28, edited 2 times in total.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Re: New created weapon wont work.

Post by vexed »

Without files, nobody will be able to help you.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

soooo archangel batteries? seriously a 5x5 camp of them is probably better then las-sat with faster refire anyway
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Well, a building mounted weapon with a lassat weapon type (I think it's weapon type, just look at the entry for the lassat weapon) will require you to click on a target to make it fire, unfortunately it will have the laser explosion, the turret won't turn to fire, the projectile will be invisible, the muzzle flash will be invisible and it won't have any weapon firing sounds (I think). Due to the structure limits, can be changed, you can only have 1 building with a lassat type weapon. When mounted on a unit, it will do the above except that it will turn to fire, weapon trail (e.g. howitzers) will be visible and muzzle flash will be visible. This is all from memory when I decided to mess around with weapons.txt so some of it may (and probably will) be wrong. From what I know, I don't think what you're trying to achieve can be done by txt editing at the moment.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
XboxJosh
Trained
Trained

Post by XboxJosh »

I tried to make a LasSat tank once, it was nearly a complete failure as all the units wanted to get line of sight on their targets... :roll: :stare:

Alias: Cipher[SSC]

System Specs:
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional
CPU TYPE: AMD Athlon II X2 250
CPU SPEED: 3000 MHz
SYSTEM MEMORY: 4 GB (2 x 2GB, DDR2)
GRAPHICS CARD MODEL: NVidia GTS 250
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

we need a void ray type unit, would be an epic siege type tank ^_^
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

Meh, never seen a point of MDWs in the games,if you want to win fast just use the super weapon and kill everything with one shot *shrug*
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
martin83
New user

Post by martin83 »

I am attempting to make a new turret cannon design. I can research it and that leads to the hardpoint structure that i made with it but when i go to design a vehicle with the new weapon on it the weapon is not in the list of weapons. The weapon name is Reaper Rotary Cannon and the internal name is cannon-rot. I have no idea why this is.
Martin.wz
(146.3 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

Hmm...
you need first the weapon id and data placed in weapons txt then add a line to research it in research txt,make sure you dont forget to add the number of available components you get from research and make sure you link it with a structure research with this weapon,also dont forget to add result from your research to resultcomponents txt and put a line in names txt... meh,did i forget anything else?

edit:looking over your files,wow you sure made mess of stuff here,hard to see exactly where to find needed changes.
edit2:looks like everything is in order not sure why you dont get the weapon.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
Roach
Greenhorn

Post by Roach »

Its a coincident for me to run into the same issue too :P so far I'm able to add new structures without any trouble.
However, getting the design weapon/system component into the screen is an issue due to a hard-coded culprit found in design.c >_>

Code: Select all

85	#define MAX_TABS        4
93	#define MAX_DESIGN_COMPONENTS 40        // Max number of stats the design screen can cope with.
94	#define MAX_SYSTEM_COMPONENTS 32        // can only fit 8 buttons on a system component form
Also, I'm new here, but not to this game (owned the original ps1 copy) and not new to modding (mods other games in the past).
So far, I'm loving the improvements the game made so far since it went opensource. :D

~ Roach
martin83
New user

Post by martin83 »

It's been a few days since I was on last because my daughter was just born on September 16. So as you can imagine i have been a little busy. If it is a hard-coded culprit causing the problem is there any way it can be fixed? If so how?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

martin83 wrote:It's been a few days since I was on last because my daughter was just born on September 16. So as you can imagine i have been a little busy. If it is a hard-coded culprit causing the problem is there any way it can be fixed? If so how?
congratulations on the arrival of your new cyborglet. :)
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

lav_coyote25 wrote:
martin83 wrote:It's been a few days since I was on last because my daughter was just born on September 16. So as you can imagine i have been a little busy. If it is a hard-coded culprit causing the problem is there any way it can be fixed? If so how?
congratulations on the arrival of your new cyborglet. :)
:lol2:
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
martin83
New user

Post by martin83 »

Ok i have found a quick work around for having weapons so you can use them in the game just put them at the top of the list in the weapons.txt file instead of at the end.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

martin83 wrote:Ok i have found a quick work around for having weapons so you can use them in the game just put them at the top of the list in the weapons.txt file instead of at the end.
No difference. What I think you're having a problem with is that you removed the blank line at the end of the file, try adding it back in. If not, glad you got it working, have fun modding away.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."