Sensor Jammer

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Sensor Jammer

Post by Per »

It is not intended to be an invisibility cloak. It is jammer that prevents your units from targeting the enemy. It also prevents you from seeing exactly what and how many units are attacking at a location.
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

I can already see swarming a base with jammer droid decoys so your enemy has no idea which direction the real attack is coming from. :wink:
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Per wrote:Satellite uplink will reveal the attacking units, but you will not be able to fire upon them, since your units do not actually see them (I do not like this, but that is how it has always worked...)
Simple enough to fix. Jammers should override Uplink. Uplink is a global sensor, anything more local should be able to override it.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:
Per wrote:Satellite uplink will reveal the attacking units, but you will not be able to fire upon them, since your units do not actually see them (I do not like this, but that is how it has always worked...)
Simple enough to fix. Jammers should override Uplink. Uplink is a global sensor, anything more local should be able to override it.
Agreed, Jammers would be an useless technology if Uplink were to be allowed to override them.

But this raises another question, would it be possible for a player to create enough jammers that cover up his entire base and critical parts of the map? If yes, then wouldn't that make Uplink a little redundant in this case?

But of course, it would mean that the opponent better take down those jammers to get good use of his Uplink tech.. :hmm:
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

also maybe if tower is nearby it has an effective radius? so towers aren't completely blotted out by the jam, but when they are point blank the tower is practically offline? so if you can get close enough radars then the towers only provide line of sight and no actual radar?
Logiwan-Kenobiquiet
Greenhorn

Post by Logiwan-Kenobiquiet »

Well, in my opinion, you could only place a certain number of towers, like...five. You can make infinite units with the jammer, but let's say the jammer is very expensive. That would keep it from getting boring not being able to see anything. Having sensor jammer towers would be really cool. I wonder what would happen with Ripple Rocket missiles if they are firing in an area where a jammer is? Would the missiles be confused by the jammer, or not? Well, I guess if the most expensive scanner is able to scan through the jammer, the missiles would be able to lock on. Maybe some more research for jamming would be available. Each upgrade extends the range. It would start with short range, and easy to penetrate, and as you upgrade it, it gets bigger and harder to break through.
~Kenobiquiet
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

yes that seems reasonable but the towers should have a naturally larger radius then the than counterpart, being that the tank has the benefit of mobility
TVR
Trained
Trained

Post by TVR »

Logiwan-Kenobiquiet wrote:... I wonder what would happen with Ripple Rocket missiles if they are firing in an area where a jammer is?
Nothing unusual, Ripple Rockets are unguided and armed with a contact fuse.

The point of RADAR jamming is to create decoys by forcing the opposing player to treat each jammer equally, artillery can and will be fired at each jammer, but then their locations would be revealed by counter-battery RADAR...
kotaro pembajak
New user

Post by kotaro pembajak »

8) 8) 8) :zZz: :zZz: :zZz:
Last edited by kotaro pembajak on 01 Jul 2010, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
kotaro pembajak
New user

Post by kotaro pembajak »

how about the campaign if there is sensor jammer
would change the campaign storyline :( :!!!:
unless there is a new campaign in version 3.0.0 :lol2: :lol2:
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

I like the idea, in terms of research, it should be behind the wide spectrum, and before the sat uplink.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

As balancer, I can tell you nearly definitely that it'll be somewhere around CB sensor.

The last thing I want is one more technology that no one will use since it's so high up there in the tech tree.
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

thanks zarel, thats a tech i'd be using for sure ^_^
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

This will be a GREAT solution to the artillery wars. I CANNOT wait.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
iMac
Trained
Trained

Post by iMac »

Isn't the Sat. Uplink a downward visual look of the battle field from a satellite above? The jammer can't block a visual image, so does that mean it is jamming the signal between the satellite overhead & the Uplink center?