Upgrade Research

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Upgrade Research

Post by themousemaster »

I guess this is a GD topic.

I'm not sure if I've asked this before... if so, feel free to tell me to go away ;p.

I have a couple questions regarding the research of upgrades.  I've already looked at the Tech Tree on the front page, and it doesn't have the answers.

A)  What happens if you research some of the advancement techs out of order?  Specifically, the Automated and Robotic Production upgrades are NOT pre-reqs for the Advanced Production Tech.  If I Do the Advanced before the Robotic, do I actually slow myself down?  Or if I do them out of order, do I have absolutely no incentive to research the Robotic ones, as once I research the Advanced one, it overrides the lower tier?

B)  Quite a few of the weapons tech's have pre-reqs outside of their scope.  Does anyone know where the document is that includes the Upgrade techs and their pre-reqs?  For example, the Assault Cannon requires the Cannon Autoloader tech; however, I know from playing that the Autoloader (and thereby, a lot of other RoF increasing techs for all trees, as the Autoloader is a pre-req for a lot of other stuff) has a pre-req over in the Rocketry tree, which I don't always use in my games, depending on the map size and available resources.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Upgrade Research

Post by Watermelon »

themousemaster wrote: I guess this is a GD topic.

I'm not sure if I've asked this before... if so, feel free to tell me to go away ;p.

I have a couple questions regarding the research of upgrades.  I've already looked at the Tech Tree on the front page, and it doesn't have the answers.

A)  What happens if you research some of the advancement techs out of order?  Specifically, the Automated and Robotic Production upgrades are NOT pre-reqs for the Advanced Production Tech.  If I Do the Advanced before the Robotic, do I actually slow myself down?  Or if I do them out of order, do I have absolutely no incentive to research the Robotic ones, as once I research the Advanced one, it overrides the lower tier?
I think all techs of the same kind work independantly,which means higher/late ones will not overrides the lower/early ones,because the bonus is added to the target 'base'(base damage/speed/buildpoing or whatever)
B)  Quite a few of the weapons tech's have pre-reqs outside of their scope.  Does anyone know where the document is that includes the Upgrade techs and their pre-reqs?  For example, the Assault Cannon requires the Cannon Autoloader tech; however, I know from playing that the Autoloader (and thereby, a lot of other RoF increasing techs for all trees, as the Autoloader is a pre-req for a lot of other stuff) has a pre-req over in the Rocketry tree, which I don't always use in my games, depending on the map size and available resources.
maybe lav_coyote25's document project has the requirements and stuff...

here is more readable version of those tech dependency data,prolly you take a look at 'preresearchnew.txt' to get an idea which is required for which(the ingame name of techs is stored in names.txt,e.g:[some internal tech name] = "some ingame tech game")
Attachments
wzstats4human.zip
(24.42 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

each research upgrade is "stackable"
meaning..  you research down the line.. and then start on another branch.. and find your researching the bottom area of an upgrade and an upper at the same time.. they do NOT overwrite each other.. they boost each other..  each upgrade has a "plus value" it adds to that  weapon or what ever stat...  skipping over a part of the tree simply means you wont get the added bonus that research offers till you finally get around to researching is.

as for the tech tree being mapped....  depends on the version of the game your playing.. and its a mucked mess :P
-= Dare not meddle within the affairs of we dragons for you are crunchy and flavor well with bbq sauce =-

-=Build a man a fire and hes warm for a night. Set a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life=-
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Erm... I'm not sure what I was smoking when I typed up my OP...

The rocketry tree doesnt open up the cannon autoloader, it opens up the AA-gun targeting computers.  Which is what I meant ;p

I 'll check that .zip file tomorrow.
The Noid
Rookie
Rookie

Post by The Noid »

For a graphical version of the tech tree, take a look at this thread:
http://wz2100.net/forum/index.php?topic=588.0

Open the image linked to in that thread in a proper image viewer, as web browsers are not very suitable for images this size :)
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

The Noid wrote: For a graphical version of the tech tree, take a look at this thread:
http://wz2100.net/forum/index.php?topic=588.0

Open the image linked to in that thread in a proper image viewer, as web browsers are not very suitable for images this size :)
To be certain, I will NOT be printing that out to hang on my wall ;p.

It does confirm some what what I was wondering though, like how certain AA upgrades are only available after certain cannon upgrades.
cruise
Trained
Trained

Post by cruise »

And yet again, some blatant self-advertisement http://casual-tempest.net/projects/wz2100/ :P Slightly easier to navigate than that image, even if I do say so myself... :D
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

cruise wrote: And yet again, some blatant self-advertisement http://casual-tempest.net/projects/wz2100/ :P Slightly easier to navigate than that image, even if I do say so myself... :D
I'm just wondering: did you use a script to generate that ?
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
cruise
Trained
Trained

Post by cruise »

[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]